With MB starting ASG, will Garland be last?

VAfan

Since Buehrle and Garland are both starters on the same team, if I was Francona I would hold Garland as my last pitcher and use him only if the game goes extra innings. It is no reflection on Garland's abilities, but it is probably the right thing to do.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
Since Buehrle and Garland are both starters on the same team, if I was Francona I would hold Garland as my last pitcher and use him only if the game goes extra innings.  It is no reflection on Garland's abilities, but it is probably the right thing to do.

I would think that Clement might be the last option.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
Since Buehrle and Garland are both starters on the same team, if I was Francona I would hold Garland as my last pitcher and use him only if the game goes extra innings.  It is no reflection on Garland's abilities, but it is probably the right thing to do.

Pitch Garland no way id keep rodgers and not pitch him he may have cleared the air and gained some respect if he declined being an all star.

I cannot believe that Buerhle is starting the game. Once Francona picked Clement to replace Halladay, I figured Clement would be the starter, since he is Francona's player, and he is the freshest of the starters. Then again, Francona isn't a prick like Torre.

QUOTE(crash @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
I cannot believe that Buerhle is starting the game. Once Francona picked Clement to replace Halladay, I figured Clement would be the starter, since he is Francona's player, and he is the freshest of the starters. Then again, Francona isn't a prick like Torre.

I agree

QUOTE(crash @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)

Francona couldn't have an injury replacement player start the ASG. There would be a revolt from every baseball fan in America.

Francona couldn't have an injury replacement player start the ASG. There would be a revolt from every baseball fan in America.

I would take part in that revolt.

So if a White Sox player was named an injury replacement and named the starter, you would revolt? And I figured it would be Clement, b/c he is the most rested of all the AL starters.

QUOTE(crash @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
So if a White Sox player was named an injury replacement and named the starter, you would revolt? And I figured it would be Clement, b/c he is the most rested of all the AL starters.

Im biased so no

QUOTE(crash @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)

I would think it was stupid. Why should a player who was only named to the game as an injury replacemtent start the game? That's retarded. So yes.

But this is probably because I'm not a blind homer like a lot of people.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 05:44 AM)
I would think it was stupid. Why should a player who was only named to the game as an injury replacemtent start the game? That's retarded. So yes.

But this is probably because I'm not a blind homer like a lot of people.

If the injury replacement was lets say Bonderman, Than I wouldnt mind because 1. He should of been in the game anyways. 2. Its taking place in his home town.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
Why 5th or 6th? He should be pitching right after Buehrle and Buehrle supposedly is going 2 innings.

They do a lot of this planning based on matchups. Francona may very well think Garland may match up better against some of the NL subs than the starters. He also has Colon to work into the ball game pretty early, and in all honesty I'd rather take Colon up there against Lee and Pujols than even Garland. I just don't want those 2 guys hitting the ball. They make contact...uh-oh.

Secondly, there's also a really REALLY easy solution to the ol' "Who do I keep as a reserve pitcher in case this game goes to extras" question. I'm surprised no one else has seen it yet.

Kenny Rogers.

The guy shouldn't be pitching anyway. If he comes out he'll hear as loud a chorus of boos as anyone. People will probably be happier if he doesn't pitch. He's the obvious guy to hold in reserve, IMHO.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
They do a lot of this planning based on matchups.  Francona may very well think Garland may match up better against some of the NL subs than the starters.  He also has Colon to work into the ball game pretty early, and in all honesty I'd rather take Colon up there against Lee and Pujols than even Garland.  I just don't want those 2 guys hitting the ball.  They make contact...uh-oh.

Abreu, Beltran, Lee, Pujols are the first four that I remember Buehrle will have to face