ESPN Loser Has This To Say about the Sox

Southside hitmen

QUOTE(Jim Belushi @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
It'll be great when the media wakes up and covers us once we win the pennant. :bringit

The Cub's won't be winning the pennant anytime soon...

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
The White Sox reached the All-Star break with a nine-game lead in the AL Central, but the doubters are still out there. Count ESPN.com columnist Bill Simmons among them.

In his midseason look at the AL, he gives the South Siders a couple of dubious awards. First is "The Napoleon Dynamite Award for Most Inexplicable Success Story."

"How are the White Sox headed for 112 wins right now?" Simmons writes. "Really, 112 wins? Does that seem reasonable for a team with nobody hitting above .280 and Dustin Hermanson as their closer?"

Simmons also picks on right-hander Jon Garland. Noting that Garland is on pace for 25 wins but only 110 strikeouts, he bestows on him "The James Baldwin Memorial Award for Best Candidate for a Second-Half Collapse."

"Would you say Garland is another James Baldwin or another Tommy John?" Simmons asks. "I'm leaning toward another Baldwin."

His smug tone notwithstanding, I share some of the same concerns. I still don't really trust Garland and I've stated my doubts about the hitting numerous times.

QUOTE(Balance @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
And as for Garland, well, Simmons is basing his thoughts on Garland's career up to this season.  While I hope Garland proves him (and most of the rest of the nation) wrong, Garland needs to keep proving himself this year. 

:gosox3:  :gosox4:  :gosox2:

Yet, these same guys are perfectly willing to annoint Joe Nathan from the Twins as the next great closer, when he has only done it for one year. I understand the thoughts, it just needs to be done in moderation, even if it is humor.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(Balance @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
I don't think he's being unfair.  I don't think anyone, even the most die-hard ChiSox fan among us, would have seriously predicted us to be this far in front of the league.

It drives me crazy when people say this, because it is not the point. If no one predicts player A to hit 50 home runs, for example, and he does; Does that mean he really didn't hit them?

The fact of the matter is he is a Red Sox fan, so he has to bring down any team that's not the Red Sox. The thing that bothers me is that you can tell when guys don't actually watch the games. They just look at numbers, but numbers don't tell the WHOLE STORY.

His rationale is simplistic and void of any real insight. It's done as a comical piece and should be treated as such. I hate when really biased homers get jobs writing for national publications. The fans lose, and I would say the same thing if it was "Chicago Sports Guy".

If Crede returns soon & can play most everyday Simmons will be proven a fool. If not & Ozuna is our everyday 3B Simmons will be proven right.

Garland relies heavily on a 3B to make above avg to great plays more often than not. Ozuna is good for avg plays at best.