Sox Schedule after All-Star Game...

S720

Gosh, has anyone looked at our schedule after the AS break? Try to hang onto your nerve everyone. It's going to be one of the toughest and most turbulent rides, especially in the month of August.

4 @ Cleveland

3 v Detroit

4 v Boston

3 @ KC

4 @ Baltimore

3 v Toronto

3 v Seattle

3 @ Yanks

3 @ Boston

3 v Minny

3 v Yanks

3 @ Minny

3 @ Seattle

4 @ Texas

If we still hold onto our 9-game lead at the end of August, we are DEFINITELY going to win the division and march into the playoff confidently.

In all honesty, I am SCARED! Can someone reassure me?

Maybe it comes from being a life-long Sox fan, but I am scared. If we leave that stretch 6 in front I would call it a sucess.

We definitely need to dominate the Twins when we play them. If they are as close to 6 back before we play them, they will have added incentive knowing they could sweep our ass and be in first.

July/August is gut-check time for this team.

For real or a real pretender ... we'll see.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
Ill reassure you...

The Twins have...

4 v LAA

3 v BAL

5 @ DET

3 @ NYY

3 @ BOS...

Then in August...

4 v OAK

3 v BOS

3 @ SEA

3 @ OAK

3 @ CWS

4 v SEA

3 v CWS

4 @ TEX

3 @ KC

........and I'll put this in your brain: Cleveland has 35 games left against either KC, Detroit or TB. That first series after the break against them will be interesting, especially if either team wins 3 or all 4.

I'm enjoying the ride too, but as someone else said, we haven't won anything yet. The players know this too, I expect us to win the division by 4 games.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
........and I'll put this in your brain:  Cleveland has 35 games left against either KC, Detroit or TB. That first series after the break against them will be interesting, especially if either team wins 3 or all 4.

I'm enjoying the ride too, but as someone else said, we haven't won anything yet. The players know this too, I expect us to win the division by 4 games.

IIRC, we have 42 games left against the ALC. We're 26-5 with games inside our division too.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
........and I'll put this in your brain:  Cleveland has 35 games left against either KC, Detroit or TB.   That first series after the break against them will be interesting, especially if either team wins 3 or all 4.

I'm enjoying the ride too, but as someone else said, we haven't won anything yet.   The players know this too, I expect us to win the division by 4 games.

over minny or cleveland....cuz one or the other would be 4 or 5 back at the end themselves. Cleveland has gotten back into things lately...i'd keep an i on them passing the twins and aiming for us, not saying it'll happen. they could stay the way they are.. :huh we'll have to wait and see....

i still go with winning it by at least 4 by the end though, but probably 7 or 8. :gosox1:

Edited by TheBlackSox8

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
We definitely need to dominate the Twins when we play them. If they are as close to 6 back before we play them, they will have added incentive knowing they could sweep our ass and be in first.

We play the Twinkies 13 more times.

While I agree that it's important to play well against the Twinkies, let's look at it this way-

We now have a 9-game lead on the Twins. When I say "all else being equal," I mean let's say the Sox and Twins win and lose the same number of games as each other in the second half (excluding their head-to-head matchups).

All else being equal, if we beat them 7 times and they beat us 6 times, we would have a 10 game lead.

All else being equal, if we go 6-7 against the Twins, we still have a 8 game lead.

All else being equal, if we go 5-8 against the Twins, we still have a 6 game lead.

All else being equal, if we go 4-9 against the Twins, we still have a 4 game lead.

All else being equal, if we go 3-10 against the Twins, we still have a 2 game lead.

All else being equal, if we go 2-11 against the Twins, we are tied with them.

I don't see the Sox faring that poorly against the Twins head-to-head, so really, the season is going to come down to how each team plays the rest of their schedules. Overall, the Twins are going to have to play at least 9.5 games better than the Sox in the second half. So if the Sox can manage to play .500 ball or better in the second half, the Twins are going to have a very tough hill to climb.

I think the Sox will play somewhat better than .500 ball in the second half. :headbang

:gosox1:

Every one of those teams on our schedule is beatable. New York and Boston are name teams, but both have their flaws, and neither are pitching that well. You run the risk of losing 7-4, but all in all I think we can go .500 against them without too much difficulty. Texas and Baltimore fit in this category too. Toronto and Seatlle aren't really that good, especially if we catch Toronto while Halladay is out. That leaves the Twins, who we've done very well against this year. I don't see us slipping much, maybe down to 6 or 7 because even if the Twins gain a couple while we are playing the tougher teams (they got some toughies themselves), we can get them back head to head. I just don't buy Cleveland. As soon as Hafner falls off a little they're a .500 team. He can't hit like this forever.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Foulke hasn't exactly been that dominant as a closer this year. I almost wish we were facing him.

I think the reality of this whole season is that if we go .500 against the Twinkies and Indians so that neither team can make up ground by beating us, and we avoid any major losing streaks (> 3 or 4 games in a row), we're far enough ahead that we can afford to lose a few games and even consider giving people extra pre-playoff rest down the stretch.

Gosh, has anyone looked at our schedule after the AS break?  Try to hang onto your nerve everyone.  It's going to be one of the toughest and most turbulent rides, especially in the month of August.

4 @ Cleveland

3 v Detroit

4 v Boston

3 @ KC

4 @ Baltimore

3 v Toronto

3 v Seattle

3 @ Yanks

3 @ Boston

3 v Minny

3 v Yanks

3 @ Minny

3 @ Seattle

4 @ Texas

If we still hold onto our 9-game lead at the end of August, we are DEFINITELY going to win the division and march into the playoff confidently. 

In all honesty, I am SCARED!  Can someone reassure me?

Easily. The Oakland athletics have 22 gms vs ALC opponents. Most of them vs CLE, MIN, & DET. If you think we had a tough time with their heavily stacked RHP & 5 LHB

to throw at you at the plate just watch & see how the other ALC teams fare.

I'm more scared of the A's winning the WC then any ALC team knocking us off.

Let's put it this way. We've played 86 gms & finished 28 gms over .500.

Is is reasonable to suggest that over the next 76 gms we can play 6 gms over .500? ;)

If we do that we finish 98-64. The same record as the 2004 World Champion RedSox.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

The first half means nothing until we clinch the division.

Teams far better than ours have collapsed.

Injuries could kill us.

Don't get me wrong, I am ecstatic about our start, but until the Magic Number is 0, all we are is a nice first-half story. We need to come out firing and not slow down.