Bringing back the 80's

Kyyle23

A sense of nostalgia hit me when I was talking a while back with some fellow soxfans about old cartoons and shows that I used to watch while I was a kid. He-Man and Transformers were brought up(Kid Gleason?) and I was reminded of it when i just saw this blurb

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050712g.php

Writers Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci did press rounds for "The Island" in NYC the other day and spoke briefly about how their work on the "Transformers" film adaptation is going. At present they're still working on the script.

Kurtzman told Latino Review that "We talked to Steven Spielberg about it. And he said, 'The action scenes of this movie are a given. But what is this movie really about? It's about a boy and his car.' We understood that immediately, because it's a throwback to the movies we were raised on... right now we're in the process of splitting the narrative, so that part of the movie is that story, and part is about the world's reaction to these aliens arriving - robots in disguise.

They also confirm that a lot of the origin/Cybertron stuff wouldn't be mentioned until a sequel. Around ten Transformers will be seen in the film including the main characters like Optimus Prime, Megatron, Soundwave, Shockwave, Starscream, Jazz. Whether Bay will direct or not will be decided upon the script's completion.

Jason Bay or Steven Spielberg involved? Safe to say there will be no goofy dance scene in this one, hopefully Optimus Prime makes it to the sequel ;)

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Jason Bay from the Pirates huh?  You mean Michael Bay?  :)

I'm just hoping for the voice of Judd Nelson haha.

LOL! Good catch! Jason must be stuck in my head from his Boone-like performance last night. Maybe the voice of Jeff Nelson....

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
:lol:

Redneck robots would be pretty fun

Its gonna be a live-action/CGI movie though, so maybe Judd Nelson will make a cameo instead of lending his voice.

Here are a few more

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050712f.php

Emilio Estevez has signed on to appear in a sequel to cult John Hughes Brat Pack movie "The Breakfast Club", despite missing out on joining his castmates for a MTV Movie Awards reunion last month due to a family emergency reports Contact Music.

Estevez urges fans of the film not to take his no-show as a sign he's not interested in a planned sequel. He adds, "John's got an idea for a sequel - mature aged students at college, all doing time again - for some reason or another.

"The twist would be that we're all the polar opposites of how we were in the original. Judd Nelson for instance, would now be the straight-laced one. I'm definitely in. If it happens, I'm there."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050712a.php

Paramount Pictures has decided to go back to "Summer School," setting up a remake of the 1987 Mark Harmon comedy with producer Jordan Kerner reports Variety.

Studio's tapped the writing team of Kyle Pennekamp and Scott Turpel to pen the script, which will cover the chaotic summer season in high school life, centering on a hard-nosed teacher aiming to be the next principal and the student who becomes his nemesis in achieving that goal.

The original "Summer School," directed by Carl Reiner, followed the story of a high school gym teacher forced to ditch his summer plans to teach a remedial English class for the school misfits. Pic, which also starred Kirstie Alley and Courtney Thorne-Smith, grossed $35 million domestically.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
And the winter of the Hollywood's discontent continues...  Geesh, and they sound surprised when Hollywood keeps reporting declining ticket sales, gee I wonder why?!?! :puke

You can say the quality of movies nowadays is driving people away, but its way more than that. There has always been a plethora of movies that have sucked, with a scattered amount of great movies and the so-sos in between. But the advance of modern day media has made moviegoing pretty obselete. Hackers and thieves are putting full versions of movies online for download almost immediately after the movie comes out. Plus, DVDs are hitting the stores way earlier then they used to(anyone remember when you had to wait 1 maybe 2 years for a movie to come out on VHS?).

Then you have the problem of paying out an arm and a leg to see a movie nowadays. Movie tickets are around 9 bucks nowadays, and refreshments are both expensive and horrible at the same time. I loathe drinking any sort of fountain drink anymore, reason being that my last experience was at a movie theater in which I had 90 percent coke syrup, 5 percent ice, 3 percent water, and 2 percent carbonation.

Somebody explain to me how it is a "deal" to get 2 small drinks and one small popcorn for 11.50. Its not a goddamn deal, its a ripoff, and it has been for a long time. This is normal for movie theaters everywhere, overcharge for everything within the theater. Yet they ask why less people show up every year? Come on, people would rather wait and view these movies in the comfort of their own homes where they can eat what they want, when they want, and not have to worry about taking out another mortgage to do it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
You can say the quality of movies nowadays is driving people away, but its way more than that.  There has always been a plethora of movies that have sucked, with a scattered amount of great movies and the so-sos in between.   But the advance of modern day media has made moviegoing pretty obselete.   Hackers and thieves are putting full versions of movies online for download almost immediately after the movie comes out.   Plus, DVDs are hitting the stores way earlier then they used to(anyone remember when you had to wait 1 maybe 2 years for a movie to come out on VHS?).

Then you have the problem of paying out an arm and a leg to see a movie nowadays.   Movie tickets are around 9 bucks nowadays, and refreshments are both expensive and horrible at the same time.   I loathe drinking any sort of fountain drink anymore, reason being that my last experience was at a movie theater in which I had 90 percent coke syrup, 5 percent ice, 3 percent water, and 2 percent carbonation.  

Somebody explain to me how it is a "deal" to get 2 small drinks and one small popcorn for 11.50.  Its not a goddamn deal, its a ripoff, and it has been for a long time.  This is normal for movie theaters everywhere, overcharge for everything within the theater.  Yet they ask why less people show up every year?   Come on, people would rather wait and view these movies in the comfort of their own homes where they can eat what they want, when they want, and not have to worry about taking out another mortgage to do it.

OT -- In Austin, Houston and San Antonio, we have the Alamo Drafthouse (www.drafthouse.com). Let me tell you, it's the best thing ever to happen to movies. They take out every other row of seats and replace it with a long table. They have beer and wine and a full menu of great food. It's dinner and a movie all in one. I can't believe more places like this don't open up.

They have one art house theater and three mainstream theaters in Austin. And they do rolling roadshows and theme nights. For instance, they showed Jaws on Lake Travis where everyone was watching from innertubes. They also have a Big Night Night where they serve a full five-course meal for the movie Big Night. They always have guests speaking about their movies (Peter Bogdanovich was here two months ago).

Tickets are about $7.50, but they make their money on concessions that are actually good and reasonably priced. That's the way to go.

Edited by TheDybber

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
OT -- In Austin, Houston and San Antonio, we have the Alamo Drafthouse (www.drafthouse.com).  Let me tell you, it's the best thing ever to happen to movies.  They take out every other row of seats and replace it with a long table.  They have beer and wine and a full menu of great food.  It's dinner and a movie all in one.  I can't believe more places like this don't open up. 

They have one art house theater and three mainstream theaters in Austin.  And they do rolling roadshows and theme nights.  For instance, they showed Jaws on Lake Travis where everyone was watching from innertubes.  They also have a Big Night Night where they serve a full five-course meal for the movie Big Night.  They always have guests speaking about their movies (Peter Bogdanovich was here two months ago). 

Tickets are about $7.50, but they make their money on concessions that are actually good and reasonably priced.  That's the way to go.

What a great way to make some money. Those are movie theatres I would go out of my way to visit. Seeing Jaws in a lake in an innertube? Genius!!

It seems to be pretty vanilla around here, although if something like that exists I imagine it would cost me more than 7.50.....

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
What a great way to make some money.  Those are movie theatres I would go out of my way to visit. Seeing Jaws in a lake in an innertube?  Genius!!

It seems to be pretty vanilla around here, although if something like that exists I imagine it would cost me more than 7.50.....

One of the best movie going moments I had was seeing 2001 at the Grant Park Bandshell while the CSO accompanied the movie live underneath the screen.

BTW,

The Hollywood Blvd. movie theatre in Downers Grove is awesome, too.

Dinner, Drinks and movies...

I saw Batman Begins there a couple weeks back. I had a bucket of cold ones and plate of Buffalo Chicken keeping me happy.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
One of the best movie going moments I had was seeing 2001 at the Grant Park Bandshell while the CSO accompanied the movie live underneath the screen.

BTW,

The Hollywood Blvd. movie theatre in Downers Grove is awesome, too.

Dinner, Drinks and movies...

I saw Batman Begins there a couple weeks back. I had a bucket of cold ones and plate of Buffalo Chicken keeping me happy.

That sounds pretty sweet Ribbie. How much does a movie there run you?