This gave me a snicker...

southsider2k5

Sox general manager Ken Williams recalled seeing a newspaper poll a few years ago when the Sox acquired pitcher David Wells. "I remember that 80 percent of the fans thought that was a good move at the time," Williams said. But after Wells was injured and failed to match his previous level of production, fans reacted differently to a poll asking about the acquisition. "Then 50 percent of the people polled said they knew it was a bad deal from the beginning," Williams said with a chuckle.

How true it is :bang

QUOTE(FLsouthsider @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
well, mike sirotka did have a great couple of years in toronto.

hell, we could have traded sirotka for an italian beef with extra pepperoncinis and come out ahead.

Who puts pepperonchinis on their beef???

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(FLsouthsider @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
well, mike sirotka did have a great couple of years in toronto.

hell, we could have traded sirotka for an italian beef with extra pepperoncinis and come out ahead.

Only if its a Carms beef...pepperocinis? What's wrong with you? :P

To be honest, I didn't think The Todd Ritchie deal was that bad at the time. I thought he had upside. He would have had close to 20 wins in 2001 imo if he were playing with anyone but the pirates. He was near the bottom of the league in run support and still had double digit wins. I know a lot of sox fans were tired of wells too at the time. It was not that bad of a trade.

The foulke-koch trade was not bad at the time either. Oakland knew something we didn't, simple. If anything we should have scouted koch towards the end of 2002.

I blame Jerry manuel more for benching Foulke the rest of 2002 when he was a proven closer who was slumping a little. Funny how he had an era under 3 by the time the year finished out and he never got his job back. Kw made the best out of the situation.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
To be honest, I didn't think The Todd Ritchie deal was that bad at the time. I thought he had upside. He would have had close to 20 wins in 2001  imo if he were playing with anyone but the pirates.  He was near the bottom of the league in run support and still had double digit wins.  I know a lot of sox fans were tired of wells too at the time.  It was not that bad of a trade.

Todd Ritchie 2001 = 98 ERA+ (100 being average). He was a below average pitcher. 15 wins for a slightly below average pitcher seems pretty lucky to me.

And, why is the Wells trade a bad one? I realize he was sort of an ass (and a hypocrit) on the radio to Thomas, but I also remember Buehrle somewhere saying that Wells taught him a lot with regards to pitching as a lefty. I don't think it was a great trade, but I don't think it can be characterized as *bad*. JMO.

Edited by CWSGuy406

Looking back, Ritchie turned out to be so bad that I still rather the trade didn't happen, but as was said before, the trade wasn't as bad as many think. I mean, its not like Kip Wells and Josh Fogg have amounted to much. And I have no idea what Sean Lowe is doing these days. No doubt about it, Ritchie sucked, but I don't think having Wells and Fogg around the past few years would have made much of a difference.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
Looking back, Ritchie turned out to be so bad that I still rather the trade didn't happen, but as was said before, the trade wasn't as bad as many think.  I mean, its not like Kip Wells and Josh Fogg have amounted to much.  And I have no idea what Sean Lowe is doing these days.  No doubt about it, Ritchie sucked, but I don't think having Wells and Fogg around the past few years would have made much of a difference.

You don't know how surprised I was to find this stat....

Since last ASB

Freddy Garcia -- (15-6, 3.86)

Josh Fogg -- (9-7, 3.84)

Jon Garland -- (17-10, 4.32)

QUOTE(FLsouthsider @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 01:09 AM)
Who doesn't?

Hmm, maybe my family's just weird.

I'd still trade Sirotka for the beef sandwich, sans pepperoncinis.

gotta use giardinara (sp?) jardinara?

A couple seasons ago, I thought Kenny should be shown the door. Now he is easily the front runner for executive of the year.

Who was the last White Sox Manager to be named Manager of the Year?

Oh yeah, the guy that sucked

What that tells me is it's all about the players. Trades work out sometimes and other times they don't. I don't think the GM should get more than 25% of the credit. Most trades are at least close, there are very few that are lopsided from the start. It's up to the players to perform.