Al's Beef

Stocking

I saw someone mention Al's Beef and then another posting about trading David Wells for some beef and it got me thinking. I've heard plenty of times that Al's Beef is the best, and well i didnt think it was that special. any opinions? Bueno Beef is way bettter IMO.

Try Stan's Drive In on Archer Avenue just east of Ashland Ave. Best in the city IMO, although I'm sure everyone has their personal fave.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
Try Stan's Drive In on Archer Avenue just east of Ashland Ave.  Best in the city IMO, although I'm sure everyone has their personal fave.

Really, where exactly? Once you go east of Ashland you hit that long stretrch of factories.

I think Portillo's big beef is awesome.

QUOTE(Stocking @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
I saw someone mention Al's Beef and then another posting about trading  David Wells for some beef and it got me thinking.  I've heard plenty of times that Al's Beef is the best, and well i didnt think it was that special.  any opinions?  Bueno Beef is way bettter IMO.

Al's is HUGELY overrated IMO. The quality has gone down substantially over the last 10 years or so. Johnnie's in Elmwood Park, or Tony's on about 71st and Pulaski are some of my favorites

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
Al's is HUGELY overrated IMO.  The quality has gone down substantially over the last 10 years or so.  Johnnie's in Elmwood Park, or Tony's on about 71st and Pulaski are some of my favorites

Tony's on Pulaski is the best I ever had. Man I haven't had that in a long time!!

Buona does the trick for me now, since it's pretty close to my house.

QUOTE(Stocking @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
I saw someone mention Al's Beef and then another posting about trading  David Wells for some beef and it got me thinking.  I've heard plenty of times that Al's Beef is the best, and well i didnt think it was that special.  any opinions?  Bueno Beef is way bettter IMO.

I agree - I went there a couple times in college and thought the same thing.

It must be true that Al's had gone downhill in the last decade or so, because when I was in high school (back when dirt was young) the Al's around the corner on Taylor St The REAL Al's!) had very good beef sandwiches.

But the BEST beef sandwich I have EVER tasted was also from taylor St – a place called Vittori's that I have heard closed down (is this true?!? what a travesty!). Anybody else here familiar with this place? A Vittori's beef and then an Italian ice from Mario's.... Perfect eats!

When I make it back for visits, 'any port in a storm' is my philosophy, and I will hit up the Al's, Portillo's, Bueno, or whatever is close when I feel the need for beef. Ditto for big friggin' burritos, although I'm partial to El Faro for those. There's only one place for chicken back home though, and that's Harold's. Period. (Extra sauce, extra soppin' bread, order of gizzards too.... Mmmmm)

I've tasted beef from around Chicago, and I must represent my hometown in voting for Pop's; located off 127th and Harlem Ave. in Palos Heights. If your house is within several miles of this place I recommend stopping by sometime.

Small establishments such as these are the best places, IMO, to search for quality beef products.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
I've tasted beef from around Chicago, and I must represent my hometown in voting for Pop's; located off 127th and Harlem Ave. in Palos Heights. If your house is within several miles of this place I recommend stopping by sometime.

Every week I stop in with a buddy for lunch. Plus you cant beat the prices. Pops also gets my vote! :cheers

I'm re-posting this from the last 'Beef Debate'....now I'm hungry...

(Carms)its Hillside...and its the best...especially with hot peppers and mozzarella....people who say portillo's are crazy. While both Buona beef and Portillo's are good, they do not compare to Carm's. I recommend everyone give them a try. If you work in Oakbrook, its only about 7-10 minutes away. Its on Wolf Rd, North of 22nd street and south of Roosevelt. I guarantee you won't be dissappointed. I've been going there since I was a kid.