AJ as clubhouse cancer?

Steve9347

I was listening Mac, Jurko, and Harry and they interviewed Paul Konerko. They brought up the fact that AJ Pierzynski purchased a bottle of Dom Perignon for the four boys that made the All-Star team. This further and further pushes the idea of AJ as a clubhouse cancer out of my head. As far as I'm concerned, those boys in San Francisco were full of s*** and a bunch of whiney girly-men. AJ has proven to be an incredible signing, and possibly this team's MVP.

AJ... yes.

KW... yes.

:cheers AJ

Good luck tonight Buehrls, Big John, Pauly, and Spods. :wub:

Edited by Steve9347

I knew from the moment that he gave that $100 to Borchard that I was gonna like this kid.

I think that A.J. probably realized that if he didn't get along with people, it would cost him a lot of money. A lot. If nothing else, that's probably some motivation...assuming the knee story is true.

I can understand him not getting along with Tomko, but the knee story is a bit over the top.

I think that A.J. probably realized that if he didn't get along with people, it would cost him a lot of money.  A lot.

Pretty big motivation to change one's behavior I would say.

He is a very sarcastic person. Not knocking it, just saying it. Several guys have said so.

The Twins clubhouse knew him, they grew up with him, they understood him and it was basically, "well, that's AJ". He fit in as was accepted and he played his ass off up there.

His persona didn't fit well in SF for whatever reason. KW said he talked to AJ and they discussed AJ needing to change his behavior. AJ did, it's all good now.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
I knew from the moment that he gave that $100 to Borchard that I was gonna like this kid.

I think that A.J. probably realized that if he didn't get along with people, it would cost him a lot of money.  A lot.  If nothing else, that's probably some motivation...assuming the knee story is true.

I can understand him not getting along with Tomko, but the knee story is a bit over the top.

Ozzie posts on SoxTalk!?!?!?!

aj is so much better than Sandy, Ben Davis, Olivo, Josh Paul, Mark Johnson and the others we have suffered through is recent years.

always thought he called a great game against us when he was with the twins.

hope he stays around for many years.

Way to insult Brook Fordyce, asshole.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
MVP?!  Let's not go overboard.

Not the league's mvp but he's been our's imo as well. You can make a case for several guys and that's one reason we are where we are but AJ's my pick at this point.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
Not the league's mvp but he's been our's imo as well.  You can make a case for several guys and that's one reason we are where we are but AJ's my pick at this point.

That surprises me. You'd keep AJ over Buehrle, Hermanson, Thomas, Garland, etc.? That would have to be the case if he is your 'most valuable' player. Widger has an idential OPS to AJ with our staff having a lower ERA with Widge behind the plate and that dude was playing softball last year. I'm not saying Widge is better but come on.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
That surprises me.  You'd keep AJ over Buehrle, Hermanson, Thomas, Garland, etc.?  That would have to be the case if he is your 'most valuable' player.  Widger has an idential OPS to AJ with our staff having a lower ERA with Widge behind the plate and that dude was playing softball last year.  I'm not saying Widge is better but come on.

Pitchers aren't mvp's in my mind so I wasn't counting them. IMO AJ and Scotty have been our two most valuable position players and AJ has been this team's mvp but like I said you can make a case for a lot of these guys.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
That surprises me.  You'd keep AJ over Buehrle, Hermanson, Thomas, Garland, etc.?  That would have to be the case if he is your 'most valuable' player.  Widger has an idential OPS to AJ with our staff having a lower ERA with Widge behind the plate and that dude was playing softball last year.  I'm not saying Widge is better but come on.

Has anyone of those players singlehandedly made multiple players better around them? What would be the net effect of having Ben Davis behind the plate for all of those games vs AJ. Tell me that guys like Garland and Contreras would be having the years they are having with Jaime Burke behind the plate. Tell me how many key hits that Chris Widger would have had if he was playing everyday.

No one is denying that those guys you listed are important, but the guy that is most valuable to this team is AJ.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
Has anyone of those players singlehandedly made multiple players better around them?  What would be the net effect of having Ben Davis behind the plate for all of those games vs AJ.  Tell me that guys like Garland and Contreras would be having the years they are having with Jaime Burke behind the plate.  Tell me how many key hits that Chris Widger would have had if he was playing everyday.

No one is denying that those guys you listed are important, but the guy that is most valuable to this team is AJ.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THAT

AJ brings to this team what you don't see in his #'s. Mark and Jon have a catcher they trust and respect. They just listen to the signs he calls all year and now they are both All stars.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
Pretty big motivation to change one's behavior I would say.

He is a very sarcastic person.  Not knocking it, just saying it.  Several guys have said so.

The Twins clubhouse knew him, they grew up with him, they understood him and it was basically, "well, that's AJ".  He fit in as was accepted and he played his ass off up there.

His persona didn't fit well in SF for whatever reason.  KW said he talked to AJ and they discussed AJ needing to change his behavior.  AJ did, it's all good now.

Back when the AJ talk was going on I called Ray immediately.. he said there were never any issues and that one of the main reasons he didn't get along was because he is a straight shooter. Tells you like it is without consequence.. but tactfully. Ray and him talked a lot because of Ray playing here and AJ with the Twins, but Ray said a lot of what happened was blown way out of proportion. He also said AJ was a huge fan of kangaroo court.. something San Fran did not actively participate in for whatever reason, and that rubbed a few guys the wrong way. Also remember folks.. Barry runs that clubhouse. I got that from both Sid and Ray. It's kind of like how Willie came in and rocked the boat.. you don't do that to the vets. Doesn't matter now. He's here and that's that. Their loss.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 08:07 AM)
Back when the AJ talk was going on I called Ray immediately.. he said there were never any issues and that one of the main reasons he didn't get along was because he is a straight shooter. Tells you like it is without consequence.. but tactfully. Ray and him talked a lot because of Ray playing here and AJ with the Twins, but Ray said a lot of what happened was blown way out of proportion. He also said AJ was a huge fan of kangaroo court.. something San Fran did not actively participate in for whatever reason, and that rubbed a few guys the wrong way. Also remember folks.. Barry runs that clubhouse. I got that from both Sid and Ray. It's kind of like how Willie came in and rocked the boat.. you don't do that to the vets. Doesn't matter now. He's here and that's that. Their loss.

Why do you get to rub elbows with all these people? Who are you? Is this actually Mrs. Reinsdorf? Did you work for the Sox?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
Has anyone of those players singlehandedly made multiple players better around them?  What would be the net effect of having Ben Davis behind the plate for all of those games vs AJ.  Tell me that guys like Garland and Contreras would be having the years they are having with Jaime Burke behind the plate.  Tell me how many key hits that Chris Widger would have had if he was playing everyday.

It's not everyday a guy can be on pace to having his worst full season as an everyday player in the majors and be considered by the fans to be the team's MVP.

I'm not saying we should've given the starting job to Burke or Davis, but a guy like Zaun would've been a nice move. I don't know how you can be so certain our staff would be affected adversely by a guy like Zaun. Obviously Contreras has pitched better with AJ and AJ got through to him for awhile, but he has had more difficulty with him lately and isn't making as much of a difference. As for Garland, if I'm not mistaken both of his back-to-back shutouts were caught by Widger.

AJ has been pretty good behind the plate and calls a nice game, but slamming the bat down after every pop-up and pouting on strikeouts is getting old. I think we should expect more from him offensively.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
I swear!  One guy gets reamed because he shows little emotion and people say he doesn't care.  Someone else throws down a bat and gets ripped for pouting.  THAT is what is getting old.

Yeah we really beat that topic to death on this site. :rolly

We all enjoy seeing a little emotion from out players but we'd prefer they run the bases first.