Sheffield won't play in 'something that's made up'

innersanctum

"My season is when I get paid," Sheffield told the New York Daily News. "I'm not doing that. ... I'm not sacrificing my body or taking a chance on an injury for something that's made up."

"A lot of guys feel that way. They won't say it like I will, though," he added.

- Gary Sheffield -- July 13, 2005

I am not sure how I feel about the World Cup thing yet. I suppose it will depend on how much I care about the players that participate in it come March. I don't think that Sheffield was really going to be considered as a participant anyway as his age and ability will definitely be a factor in consideration and as was shown in the ASG last night, there are many younger players coming up in baseball right now that will represent the United States well for the tournament.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)
I did not lose any respect for Gary Sheffield with that comment. Why? Because I never had any for him to begin with.

^^^

If I am a reporter, I just follow Gary Sheffield around and ask him stupid questions, because sooner rather than later he is going to say something ignorant.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
I agree with him. I think the WC is stupid. Especially 2 weeks before the season starts. If it must be done it should be done in November.

I totally agree with that. The timing is all wrong.

Who do you think should be on the World Cup team? Take out the fact of the timing of the tournament and just factor in who you would like to see playing in those games that will make you want to watch it. To keep it simple, let's just do the American team.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:19 AM)
I agree with him. I think the WC is stupid. Especially 2 weeks before the season starts. If it must be done it should be done in November.

I don't like it being in March either, so if say Buehrle makes the American team, he has to get ready earlier and may make him less effective during the games that mean more to us fans, like in September or the playoffs.

QUOTE(innersanctum @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 08:35 AM)
Who do you think should be on the World Cup team?  Take out the fact of the timing of the tournament and just factor in who you would like to see playing in those games that will make you want to watch it. To keep it simple, let's just do the American team.

I'd start with pretty much the Rangers' IF, minus Soriano of course. Probably have to be Roberts at 2nd. Ahh, it would just be the AS teams combined without the foreign guys. :usa

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/...cuprosters.html

one projection:

UNITED STATES

C—Jason Varitek (Red Sox)

1B—Todd Helton (Rockies)

2B—Jeff Kent (Dodgers)

3B—Scott Rolen (Cardinals)

SS—Alex Rodriguez (Yankees)

LF—Lance Berkman (Astros)

CF—Jim Edmonds (Cardinals)

RF—Gary Sheffield (Yankees)

DH—Barry Bonds (Giants)

SP—Roger Clemens (Astros)

SP—Mark Prior (Cubs)

SP—Ben Sheets (Brewers)

SP—Mark Mulder (Cardinals)

RP—Billy Wagner (Phillies)

Manager: Bobby Cox (Braves)

Skinny: USA Baseball has been one of the major players on the international scene in the last 40 years, as it should be, and is the only nation other than Cuba to win an Olympic gold medal. The United States will be the favorite at the World Baseball Classic, though its biggest advantage--depth--might not be a major factor in this tournament. A team of U.S. reserves would have a good chance at the gold, but it won't be a cakewalk. Players with previous Team USA experience, such as Mulder, Prior and Sheets, could get priority.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
My prediction; someone is going to play in this thing, get hurt, and miss the whole season.  It will then be the last baseball world cup.

My money's on it being Prior.

Well, don't go too far out on a limb with that prediction. *L*

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:19 AM)

What's so stupid about it? Baseball is huge not just here but all over the world. The WC of Soccer occurs every 4 years and around teh whole world (besides here) it is looked forward to and loved. It is a global event that brings the worlds best teams in to play another. Baseball is growing and is huge in Latin America and Asia. Other places such as the Netherlands (thanks to their Caribbean possessions for the most part) and Australia also field decent teams. Especially now with baseball being removed from the Olympics, I think this is a wonderful idea. Have a WC of baseball every 3 or 4 years. I agree the timing is bad, but I fail to understand how the idea is stupid at all.