AL First Half Awards

Cubs Suck23

MVP

Scott Podsednik, White Sox: His numbers don't have flash, just like his team doesn't have flash. What the White Sox do have is the Majors' best record, and his 41 steals atop the lineup are critical to a small-ball team having big results.

Also contending: Johnny Damon, Red Sox, remains the lead Idiot; David Delucci, Rangers, sets up a power-packed lineup with his .419 on-base percentage; Garret Anderson, Angels, is Mr. Steady on a runaway leader with his .312-10-61.

Cy Young Award

Jon Garland, White Sox: Has failed to last six innings in only one of 16 starts (falling one out shy in the exception) and has received a decision in each. By the time he took his first loss, the Hose had a five-game lead in the Central.

Also contending: Doc Halladay, Blue Jays, has regained the form which already earned the prize two years ago; Matt Clement, Red Sox, has saved Boston's beans through injuries to the rotation; Bartolo Colon, Angels, has been a stopper who is 5-1 following losses.

Rookie of the Year

Jesse Crain, Twins: Minnesota' biggest winner in middle relief, a role he has perfected to the tune of an 8-0 record and 1.41 ERA. He has not only been a bridge to All-Star closer Joe Nathan, but the Twins could cross him to a second-half surge into the playoffs.

Also contending: Robinson Cano, Yankees, has the goods to be the Bombers' first ROY since Derek Jeter; Tadahito Iguchi, White Sox, has hit .278 and shown good pop; Huston Street, A's, has lived up to very high expectations with his 1.46 ERA and 40 strikeouts in 37 innings.

Manager of the Year

Ozzie Guillen, White Sox: Reshaped the club in his own image, exerted his will, tooted his own horn -- and thus far has gotten away with it all, brilliantly. Case Study No. 1 for all the cynics who pooh-pooh a manager's influence on a baseball team.

Also contending: Eric Wedge, Indians, rallied the Tribe from a 17-23 record on May 20 to the heels of the Wild-Card leading Twins; Mike Scioscia, Angels, had to hang with an injury-depleted roster through the first two months; Lee Mazzilli, Orioles, still has the Birds flying far higher than most expected.

Hank Aaron Award

Manny Ramirez, Red Sox: Has slugged his way back from a slow start into MLB's RBI lead, serving a reminder that he remains the most feared offensive machine in the game.

Also contending: Alex Rodriguez, Yankees, continues to post numbers with unerring consistency; Mark Teixeira, Rangers, is the most complete weapon in a loaded Texas arsenal; Vladimir Guerrero, Angels, is just warming up after a .443 June.

UNOFFICIAL AWARDS

Setup Man of the Year

Cliff Politte, White Sox: 5-0 with a 1.10 ERA. Has allowed a total of 24 baserunners (nine on walks, 15 on hits) in 32 2/3 innings. Looking for reasons the White Sox are 22-8 in one-run decisions? Here's a big one.

Also contending: Mike Timlin, Red Sox, has allowed only one home run in 40 2/3 innings; Arthur Rhodes, Indians, is going strong (1.67 ERA in 34 games) in his 15th season; Crain, Twins.

Comeback Player of the Year

Joe Mays, Twins: A solid 3.84 ERA in 16 starts after sitting out all of 2004 recuperating from Tommy John surgery. Win on April 27 was his first since June 19, 2003, and has already added four more.

Also contending: Carl Everett, White Sox, is again a power threat after spending a third of 2004 disabled; Chan Ho Park, Rangers, has already nearly doubled his wins total for 2003-04; Aaron Boone, Indians, continued to return from oblivion to hit .270-4-13 since June 1.

Sophomore of the Year

Alex Rios, Blue Jays: What sophomore jinx? Is hitting the same .286 he did last season, but with more impact, having already driven in four more runs in 160 fewer at-bats.

Also contending: David DeJesus, Royals, is still in the .280s with more pop (24 extra-base hits, compared to 25 all last season); Bobby Crosby, A's, missed the first two months with fractured ribs and has since hit .325; Jorge Cantu, Devil Rays, had a job fall into his lap when Roberto Alomar retired and has responded to hit .299, compared to his overlooked rookie .301 mark.

Executive of the Year

Ken Williams, White Sox: Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras, Dustin Hermanson, A.J. Pierzynski, Jermaine Dye, Everett, Podsednik, Iguchi ... all acquired within the last year, leaving his fingerprints all over a team that is clicking.

Also contending: Bill Stoneman, Angels; J.P. Ricciardi, Blue Jays; Dave Dombrowski, Tigers

Podsednik to me is a solid offensive player who is the posterboy for our turnaround. But when it comes to actual play on the field he is nowhere near being our team MVP, let alone league MVP.

Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Politte, Hermanson, Iguchi, Carl, Konerko, JDye, AJ. These are all guys I would consider better choices for MVP of our team than Podsednik.

I am sick of listening to players on this team who come and play hard and have given a lot to this organization get completely bashed and berated every time they make an out. In Konerko's case he gets grief even when he hits a HR sometimes.

But Podsednik gets a pass. He is protected, you can't bash Podsednik! He is the goldenboy! He steals bases and Ozzie wanted speed so he must be the savior. No one cares that he has somehow managed to be a defensive downgrade from Carlos Lee because he steals bases. No one cares that he is LAST in the majors among everyday players in extra-base hits because he steals bases. I love having him on the team but I hate listening to people overrate him while bashing our other players who go out and play just as hard and have meant just as much to this teams incredible first half.

The amusing thing is the reality with this team is our offense has still be driven by HOMERUNS. Our aggressive and smart play has made the team as a whole good at manufacturing runs, but we simply do not string hits together. The offense is still very weak when we don't hit the ball out of the yard.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Tom Singer from MLB.COM

When you quote someone else's work, use the quote feature and give credit. This comes across as something you wrote. I've noticed a few other instances around the board. It smacks of plagerism.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
Podsednik to me is a solid offensive player who is the posterboy for our turnaround.  But when it comes to actual play on the field he is nowhere near being our team MVP, let alone league MVP. 

Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Politte, Hermanson, Iguchi, Carl, Konerko, JDye, AJ.  These are all guys I would consider better choices for MVP of our team than Podsednik. 

I am sick of listening to players on this team who come and play hard and have given a lot to this organization get completely bashed and berated every time they make an out.  In Konerko's case he gets grief even when he hits a HR sometimes. 

But Podsednik gets a pass.  He is protected, you can't bash Podsednik!  He is the goldenboy!  He steals bases and Ozzie wanted speed so he must be the savior.  No one cares that he has somehow managed to be a defensive downgrade from Carlos Lee because he steals bases.  No one cares that he is LAST in the majors among everyday players in extra-base hits because he steals bases.  I love having him on the team but I hate listening to people overrate him while bashing our other players who go out and play just as hard and have meant just as much to this teams incredible first half. 

The amusing thing is the reality with this team is our offense has still be driven by HOMERUNS.    Our aggressive and smart play has made the team as a whole good at manufacturing runs, but we simply do not string hits together.  The offense is still very weak when we don't hit the ball out of the yard.

Great post. :cheers

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Podsednik to me is a solid offensive player who is the posterboy for our turnaround.  But when it comes to actual play on the field he is nowhere near being our team MVP, let alone league MVP. 

Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Politte, Hermanson, Iguchi, Carl, Konerko, JDye, AJ.  These are all guys I would consider better choices for MVP of our team than Podsednik. 

I am sick of listening to players on this team who come and play hard and have given a lot to this organization get completely bashed and berated every time they make an out.  In Konerko's case he gets grief even when he hits a HR sometimes. 

But Podsednik gets a pass.  He is protected, you can't bash Podsednik!  He is the goldenboy!  He steals bases and Ozzie wanted speed so he must be the savior.  No one cares that he has somehow managed to be a defensive downgrade from Carlos Lee because he steals bases.  No one cares that he is LAST in the majors among everyday players in extra-base hits because he steals bases.  I love having him on the team but I hate listening to people overrate him while bashing our other players who go out and play just as hard and have meant just as much to this teams incredible first half. 

The amusing thing is the reality with this team is our offense has still be driven by HOMERUNS.    Our aggressive and smart play has made the team as a whole good at manufacturing runs, but we simply do not string hits together.  The offense is still very weak when we don't hit the ball out of the yard.

Konerko deserves some of the grief he's getting. Nobody is saying he doesn't play hard cause he does but he has been absolutely terrible this year. Plus the fact he's batting cleanup and has killed a ton of rallies. As far as scotty it's not just his steals he does so much for this team. He's got a very solid on base percentage and most of all with him he gets in pitchers heads. He gets on base you always get a few balls thrown over to first, then you'll see a slide step or a quick pitch to keep him from going, next thing you know there is a hanging curveball deposited into the left field bleachers.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
Konerko deserves some of the grief he's getting.  Nobody is saying he doesn't play hard cause he does but he has been absolutely terrible this year.  Plus the fact he's batting cleanup and has killed a ton of rallies.  As far as scotty it's not just his steals he does so much for this team.  He's got a very solid on base percentage and most of all with him he gets in pitchers heads.  He gets on base you always get a few balls thrown over to first, then you'll see a slide step or a quick pitch to keep him from going, next thing you know there is a hanging curveball deposited into the left field bleachers.

Bulls***. Konerko has not been terrible. He has not lived up to hopes and expectations, but he hasn't been terrible. I don't care how undeserved some may think it is, you do not make the All Star team as the third player from your team without being somewhat deserving.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
Bulls***.  Konerko has not been terrible.  He has not lived up to hopes and expectations, but he hasn't been terrible.  I don't care how undeserved some may think it is, you do not make the All Star team as the third player from your team without being somewhat deserving.

He's been very bad imo. The guy is our cleanup hitter and he's batting under .250. That's not the thing that bothers me the most, the thing that has bothered me with Pauly is the fact he makes big out, he has rarely came through when we have needed him. As far as making the allstar team, as has been said the AL first basemen have been very weak this year, also he got in due to some name recognition.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:10 AM)
He's been very bad imo.  The guy is our cleanup hitter and he's batting under .250.  That's not the thing that bothers me the most, the thing that has bothered me with Pauly is the fact he makes big out, he has rarely came through when we have needed him.  As far as making the allstar team, as has been said the AL first basemen have been very weak this year, also he got in due to some name recognition.

He got in because he's one of the AL's best. If not, he wouldn't have gotten in.