Midterm Reports

Steve9347

per Chisox.com, Scott Merkin

Club MVP: A true testament to the White Sox winning as a team in the first half is the difficult task of finding a clear-cut Most Valuable Player. Scott Podsednik's speed and aggressiveness are emblematic of the team's change in philosophy, but where would this team be without Dustin Hermanson? Signed as a free agent setup man, Hermanson assumed the closer's role when Shingo Takatsu struggled. The right-hander has saved 21 of 22 opportunities, helping the White Sox avoid any momentum-breaking setbacks.

Call him 'Ace': Jon Garland's confidence and ability to throw strikes translated into a new single-season high of 13 victories, while Hermanson and Cliff Politte were virtually unhittable in late-inning relief situations. But nobody was more consistent than Mark Buehrle. Before losing his last two starts of the half, the left-hander won nine straight and, at one point, had a string of 14 straight starts without a loss. His quick-working style rubbed off on Garland and even Freddy Garcia, increasing the staff's overall success level.

Greatest strength: Pitching, pitching and then more pitching. Williams made a pitching upgrade one of his priorities during the offseason, and the White Sox are solid from No. 1 through 12. Paul Konerko has mentioned that the two most significant reasons for the White Sox's lofty status are the starting pitching, followed closely by the bullpen's work. With such great pitching, the White Sox have been able to avoid a losing streak longer than three games.

Biggest problem: Although it consistently has come through with the game on the line, the White Sox offense has been far from consistent. The team's ability to manufacture runs has cut down on the stretches of scoring 15 runs one day and then scoring two or three combined over the next three or four games. But Guillen expects bigger and better things from the offense in the second half, a scary thought for the opposition.

Biggest surprise: The departure of Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee and Jose Valentin meant a drop in home runs for the White Sox, even playing at a hitter-friendly ballpark such as U.S. Cellular Field. Maybe the current White Sox didn't receive the memo. The team ranks fourth in the American League in home runs, on pace for 200 once again.

Team needs: Guillen has steadfastly defended Jose Contreras' recent bout of wildness as the result of only one or two bad starts, and he has full confidence in Orlando Hernandez and the tightness in his right shoulder for the second half. But the White Sox could use another quality starter, and probably one more reliever, to make a serious run at the ultimate prize in 2005. Brandon McCarthy, the rookie phenom who was so dominant during Spring Training, does not look ready to contribute consistently at this time. The Sox will give rookie Bobby Jenks and his 100 mph fastball a shot at filling the last spot in the bullpen.

Oh, doctor: Hernandez made two trips to the disabled list with shoulder and neck soreness. The White Sox not only expect him back after the All-Star break but also expect big contributions from a pitcher with a 9-3 postseason record. ... First baseman/outfielder Ross Gload battled shoulder problems since Spring Training, but he should return to the team when the White Sox start the second half. ... Damaso Marte strained a muscle in his pitching arm while working against Colorado in early June and was placed on the disabled list on the last day of June with a tight trapezius muscle. He should be ready to go with the first four-game series of the second half in Cleveland.

He said it: "We have to keep going and take one day at a time. Let's get 50 games over. I don't want to get cocky, but I'm not the type of man to let things slip out of your hands. We have something nice going on right now and we need to keep it up. Just keep playing and see what happens." -- Guillen, on his team not being satisfied when they hit 30 games over .500 on July 5

Mark your calendar: at Cleveland, July 14 to 17; vs. Detroit, July 18 to 20 (Ordonez returns to Chicago); vs. Boston, July 21 to 24; at New York, Aug. 8 to 10; at Boston, Aug. 12 to 14; vs. Minnesota, Aug. 15 to 17, Sept. 22 to 25; vs. New York, Aug. 19 to 21; at Minnesota, Aug. 23 to 25, Sept. 16 to 18; vs. Angels, Sept. 9 to 11.

Fearless second-half prediction: To predict an American League Central title for the White Sox would be somewhat akin to predicting Eva Longoria still will be beautiful when 'Desperate Housewives' returns next season. But this team has the pitching and that unified feeling to make this a special year. Look for the White Sox to face off against the Minnesota Twins in the American League Championship Series, with a trip to the World Series on the line.

Man, I would LOVE to see this:

"Look for the White Sox to face off against the Minnesota Twins in the American League Championship Series, with a trip to the World Series on the line."

What a great series that would be, and talk about amping up the rivalry to new levels...wow

:bringit

Edited by The Ginger Kid

To predict an American League Central title for the White Sox would be somewhat akin to predicting Eva Longoria still will be beautiful when 'Desperate Housewives' returns next season. But this team has the pitching and that unified feeling to make this a special year. Look for the White Sox to face off against the Minnesota Twins in the American League Championship Series, with a trip to the World Series on the line.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 05:45 AM)
Why am I still so scared of the second half and a possible collapse?

Everyone keeps telling me we're in the playoffs, but I can't/won't believe them.

I wouldn't believe it just yet. Expect Boone to give the Twins some kind of lift, just not the same as Stewart a few years ago. But even in the slide he had this year, he was still hitting the ball out of the park and his defense is stellar.

I think the Twins will tighten up the race but hopefully the sphincters of the Sox won't tighten up as well. I see it coming down to the last three weeks in September where the Sox will hopefully be trying to maintain their 4-5 game lead. It's going to be fun, man!! Ups and downs, ups and downs. Could be the most exciting half of baseball in Sox history. No one remembers teams who got hot in the first half.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 06:45 AM)
Why am I still so scared of the second half and a possible collapse?

Everyone keeps telling me we're in the playoffs, but I can't/won't believe them.

Keep telling yourself this: The White Sox not making the playoffs at this point is equal to the Yankees losing the 2004 ALCS in terms of historical significance.