Going To KC on the 27th

wsox08

I'm going to the Sox-KC game on July 27th in KC and was wondering if anyone had ever been to Kauffman Stadium. Are there any places that are must visit? Anyinformation would be helpful. Also, does anyone know who is the projected starter for that game?

The K is nice, I've been there a few times.

Be sure to stop at Gates BBQ at some point. That's some good eating.

http://www.gatesbbq.com/

A lot of people prefer Arthur Bryant's.

My favorite KC BBQ is a place called Smokestack, but you'd have to look it up in a phone book because I can't remember where the hell it is. :banghead I think there are a few around the city. The only one I can remember is on Wornall.

At any rate, order some burnt ends for me.

And if you're looking for stuff to do, check out the plaza.

Ah yes, Kansas City. What a great town if you like great food and great music.

The poster who mentions Gates BBQ, Arthur Bryant's, and Smokestack is right on. Gates is a chain place, there are locations all over, and it's good bbq, unlike anything we have in Chicago. KC is a BBQ mecca. As soon as you walk in the door of any Gates BBQ the counter help calls out "Hi may I help you".

The ballpark ... way out on the east side, not much around there except the football stadium right next door and a few hotels. I recommend staying just south of downtown in an area called Westport. That's where all the nightlife is, make sure to go to a place called Kelly's Westport Saloon, it is a huge old building and one of the oldest taverns in KC, the White Sox players hang out there often after games. You can stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Westport and walk to about 20 different bars and eateries.

About 8 blocks south of Westport is The Plaza, which is a huge walkable shopping area, it's more upscale and the people watching is great. There are all kinds of fountains and stores and it is a great place to walk around, women love it.

Westport and the Main Street area just north of Westport is where you'll find a lot of live music at night, everything from jazz to punk to pop to rock.

Make sure to try several of the BBQ places. Smokestack is at about 81st and Wornall, Gates is all over, on the way to the ballpark stop at LC's BBQ for a pork sandwich and some fresh cut fries, it's on Blue Parkway and any Kansas Citian can direct you. If you go to the Arthur Bryants on 16th and Brooklyn, you will be in the 12th and Vine Historic Area, this is where all the jazz greats like Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington et al used to hang out in the 30's and it's where the Negro League Hall of Fame is. That neighborhood is a little rough, it is east of downtown but during the day there are no problems at all.

Six blocks south of Arthur Bryants, at 22nd and Brooklyn, is the former site of Kansas City Municipal Stadium, that's where the Royals and Kansas City A's (and KC Chiefs football) played from 1955 to 1972. That's where the Hawk got his major league start, where Early Wynn won his 300th game as well. It is partly a vacant lot and partly a community garden plot, appropriately enough called Old Ballpark Community Gardens. Most of the houses directly across the streets are exactly the same from when the ballpark was there (one of the neighbors was kind enough to chat it up with us). It will be hard for you to fathom a major league ballpark being on that site, it doesn't look possible but that's where it was. To my knowledge there is no marker of any kind, other than the garden sign.

Other great places to eat include L'il Jakes Eat it and Beat it BBQ downtown, and my personal favorite, Rosedale BBQ (since 1934), about 5 minutes from Westport just over the Kansas state line. But even if you just hang out in Westport and The Plaza, you will have a great time. If you're looking to stay on the cheap, there are all sort of budget motel options on Main St. in the 3300 to 3800 blocks, like Budgetel, Budget Host Inn, etc. You will be about 6 blocks from Westport and it is no problem to walk although you will need a car to get around KC anyway.

Hope this helps you. As for tickets ... it is no problem whatsoever. Just walk up and take your pick, plenty will be available. We like sitting in the left field area, you can walk around, it's cheap, and the people watching is top notch.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Ah yes, Kansas City.  What a great town if you like great food and great music.

The poster who mentions Gates BBQ, Arthur Bryant's, and Smokestack is right on.  Gates is a chain place, there are locations all over, and it's good bbq, unlike anything we have in Chicago.  KC is a BBQ mecca.  As soon as you walk in the door of any Gates BBQ the counter help calls out "Hi may I help you".

The ballpark ... way out on the east side, not much around there except the football stadium right next door and a few hotels.  I recommend staying just south of downtown in an area called Westport.  That's where all the nightlife is, make sure to go to a place called Kelly's Westport Saloon, it is a huge old building and one of the oldest taverns in KC, the White Sox players hang out there often after games.  You can stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Westport and walk to about 20 different bars and eateries.

About 8 blocks south of Westport is The Plaza, which is a huge walkable shopping area, it's more upscale and the people watching is great.  There are all kinds of fountains and stores and it is a great place to walk around, women love it.

Westport and the Main Street area just north of Westport is where you'll find a lot of live music at night, everything from jazz to punk to pop to rock.

Make sure to try several of the BBQ places.  Smokestack is at  about 81st and Wornall, Gates is all over, on the way to the ballpark stop at LC's BBQ for a pork sandwich and some fresh cut fries, it's on Blue Parkway and any Kansas Citian can direct you.  If you go to the Arthur Bryants on 16th and Brooklyn, you will be in the 12th and Vine Historic Area, this is where all the jazz greats like Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington et al used to hang out in the 30's and it's where the Negro League Hall of Fame is.  That neighborhood is a little rough, it is east of downtown but during the day there are no problems at all.

Six blocks south of Arthur Bryants, at 22nd and Brooklyn, is the former site of Kansas City Municipal Stadium, that's where the Royals and Kansas City A's (and KC Chiefs football) played from 1955 to 1972.  That's where the Hawk got his major league start, where Early Wynn won his 300th game as well.  It is partly a vacant lot and partly a community garden plot, appropriately enough called Old Ballpark Community Gardens.  Most of the houses directly across the streets are exactly the same from when the ballpark was there (one of the neighbors was kind enough to chat it up with us).  It will be hard for you to fathom a major league ballpark being on that site, it doesn't look possible but that's where it was.  To my knowledge there is no marker of any kind, other than the garden sign.

Other great places to eat include L'il Jakes Eat it and Beat it BBQ downtown, and my personal favorite, Rosedale BBQ (since 1934), about 5 minutes from Westport just over the Kansas state line.  But even if you just hang out in Westport and The Plaza, you will have a great time.  If you're looking to stay on the cheap, there are all sort of budget motel options on Main St. in the 3300 to 3800 blocks, like Budgetel, Budget Host Inn, etc.  You will be about 6 blocks from Westport and it is no problem to walk although you will need a car to get around KC anyway.

Hope this helps you.  As for tickets ... it is no problem whatsoever.  Just walk up and take your pick, plenty will be available.  We like sitting in the left field area, you can walk around, it's cheap, and the people watching is top notch.

Damn JimH is there anywhere you haven't been?

Damn JimH is there anywhere you haven't been?

I try to go on a baseball trip every year, won't this year due to new projects. For 10 years my dad, uncle, cousin and I went to a different city each year, Thursday to Sunday and we all had jobs on the trip ... my dad was the accountant because he handled the money. My cousin was the photographer, I was the tour guide, and my uncle was comic relief.

So we got to see a whole bunch of cities, plus I used to travel a lot on business and always tacked on at least an extra day, and my wife and I love to do long weekend trips.

One thing I recommend is, don't listen to people who badmouth different cities. Go experience it for yourself. You can find bad things in every city in America, don't be a quickman and look for the bad things. We try to find all the local places and avoid the chains ... we talk to a lot of local people ... and as a result we get a really good idea, and impression, of what makes a city tick.

Plus, we like trying different food, beer, wine, etc. and most cities have a specialty cuisine which is unique to their area. For example, with KC it's BBQ, it's some of the best in the world. Cincinnati is chili, Pittsburgh believe it or not is known for their fish sandwiches and pastrami melts. St. Louis = great Italian food on The Hill. Baltimore is the seafood and soft shell crabs. Detroit has a great Greektown and a 24 hour place downtown called Coney Island with great hotdogs and chili.

Every city is what you make of it. Try to do a trip with your dad, or your kids. It will give you great memories to last a lifetime.

I want to see his review on Michigan City :P

Actually the wife and I are starting a new project called winetrailsusa.com and we'll be doing a travelogue ezine which will cover many of the unique wine growing areas in the U.S. - other than the obvious ones like Napa Valley. We'll probably touch upon Michigan City when we do SW Michigan, which as you know Mike has a cluster of small wineries and is perfect for a long day trip from Chicago. Too bad that little winery on Rt. 20 closed ... although I believe there is another winery just over the Michigan border in northern Indiana.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
Actually the wife and I are starting a new project called winetrailsusa.com and we'll be doing a travelogue ezine which will cover many of the unique wine growing areas in the U.S. - other than the obvious ones like Napa Valley.  We'll probably touch upon Michigan City when we do SW Michigan, which as you know Mike has a cluster of small wineries and is perfect for a long day trip from Chicago.  Too bad that little winery on Rt. 20 closed ... although I believe there is another winery just over the Michigan border in northern Indiana.

The one right off of 94 near Chesterton? Heck you are ahead of me, I thought that was still open when I drove past it a couple of weeks ago. But in general, yes there are lots of good winery's and vineyards around me and northward into Michigan. When you guys make your trip give us a call, we'll take you to a local place or two so you can check the area out.

The one right off of 94 near Chesterton?  Heck you are ahead of me, I thought that was still open when I drove past it a couple of weeks ago.  But in general, yes there are lots of good winery's and vineyards around me and northward into Michigan.  When you guys make your trip give us a call, we'll take you to a local place or two so you can check the area out.

Yes, Dune Ridge Winery on Rt. 20, just off 94. They Gone. We got a postcard announcing a going out of business sale, to be concluded by the end of June.

There are a couple of old taverns in Michigan City I'd like to hit for sure.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Actually the wife and I are starting a new project called winetrailsusa.com and we'll be doing a travelogue ezine which will cover many of the unique wine growing areas in the U.S. - other than the obvious ones like Napa Valley.  We'll probably touch upon Michigan City when we do SW Michigan, which as you know Mike has a cluster of small wineries and is perfect for a long day trip from Chicago.  Too bad that little winery on Rt. 20 closed ... although I believe there is another winery just over the Michigan border in northern Indiana.

Are you going to Rocheport, Mo.?

The view overlooking the Missouri River there is unbeatable.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
I'm going to that game too.  I went to 2 games in KC earlier this season and had a blast.  Good seat there are cheap and easy to get.  I don't know much about KC, but it's the closest AL city to me so that's where I catch most of my Sox games.

I was told and you'll see it when you get there US cellular is designed after KAughman Stadium. It is $5 to park and there'll be a lot of sox fans there. Th KC fans will congratulate you if the sox win. I was at the game when Valentine hit 3 homers. in 03 :cheers

• 2 months later...
QUOTE(wsox08 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:47 AM)
I'm going to the Sox-KC game on July 27th in KC and was wondering if anyone had ever been to Kauffman Stadium. Are there any places that are must visit? Anyinformation would be helpful. Also, does anyone know who is the projected starter for that game?

They lost, sucks