Fun meaningless factoid

southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
1993 All-Star game winning pitcher was Jack McDowell

2000 All-Star game winning pitcher was James Baldwin

2005 All-Star game winning pitcher was Mark Buehrle

So, we'll make the playoffs and lose? I'm disturbed recalling that Baldwin was an All-Star

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:53 AM)
Baldwin had an outstanding 1st half in 2000.  I think he had 10 or 11 wins by the ASB.

I know...but in the grand scheme of things, he sucked...he finished that year 14-7...piece of trash

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
Baldwin had an outstanding 1st half in 2000.  I think he had 10 or 11 wins by the ASB.

Our top three pitchers in the first half of 2000 were, in order, Baldwin, Eldred, Sirotka...

Due to injury, we started Jim Parque in the playoffs against Seattle. :puke

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:53 AM)

The game that stands out to me was when the Sox strolled into Seattle with Baldwin starting. Rickey Henderson was leading off and Baldwin struck him out on 4 pitches in about 12 seconds. It was the fastest I have ever seen Henderson get rung up. He dominated that game, with El Caballo providing the runs.

Too bad his shoulder fell apart.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:56 AM)
Our top three pitchers in the first half of 2000 were, in order, Baldwin, Eldred, Sirotka...

Due to injury, we started Jim Parque in the playoffs against Seattle. :puke

A game in which Parque left too early, if I recall.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)
A game in which Parque left too early, if I recall.

Parque's shoulder was also hurting. He pitched through pain, had off season surgery and was never heard from again. The 2000 playoff problem (other than all of the hitters hitting pop ups) was no healthy pitchers.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
I know...but in the grand scheme of things, he sucked...he finished that year 14-7...piece of trash

"In the grand scheme of things," any pitcher who wins 14 games DEFINITELY is not a piece of trash! Baldwin might be a piece of trash for his career, but he was far away from being that that year.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
"In the grand scheme of things," any pitcher who wins 14 games DEFINITELY is not a piece of trash!  Baldwin might be a piece of trash for his career, but he was far away from being that that year.

I hated that guy...I stand by my statement...so he had 1 good half...yaaaa

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
Parque's shoulder was also hurting. He pitched through pain, had off season surgery and was never heard from again. The 2000 playoff problem (other than all of the hitters hitting pop ups) was no healthy pitchers.

Our pitching in those playoffs was fine, it was the hitting that blew! I remember Farmer saying corners better play up cuz he suspects a squeeze on this pitch and whammo... series over!!! Foulke didnt help in Game 1 either frickin John Olerud, Edgar Martinez

It almost felt like a repeat of the 1993 playoffs. I really hope we get back to our Small/Little/Smart/Ozzie-ball gameplan.

Because in the playoffs, I could see Frank, Paulie and Dye going 0-for-20.

In the playoffs you need:

Sound starting pitching

Consistent bullpen

Timely hitting

Smart baseball

Good defense