Kwame to the Lakers

I'm still trying to figure out what to think about the whole "Phil Jackson-Kwame Brown-Kobe Bryant" mess, but I really don't have a clue what'll happen with this one. Could Phil turn Kwame into a decent center? Could Kobe? Could Kobe clash with both? Could Phil meditate so strongly that it sends Kwame into a coma? I'm at a loss.

The Lakers definately needed some sort of an inside presence to go along with Kobe, and it's clear that they didn't have that last year in Divac, Grant, and Mihm. The one thing they did have is a surplus of guys who can shoot from the outside. It makes sense to try to dump a couple of them.

It's truly an awful risk taking on Brown, but if anyone can figure out how to coach him, it could be Jackson.

And if Brown doesn't perform, the Lakers have guys who are decent enough to step into the place vacated by Butler and Atkins/George without a major dropoff...and in their backcourt it mostly comes down to whether or not Kobe is healthy anyway.

I dont know. Jackson has never really developed anyone. he put players around his best players that would help them succeed. But Phil never had to develop a center, he had Shaq, and relied on the three headed monster in Chicago. but the 3 headed monster never really stood out and commanded attention. The only time the bulls had a presence down low is when they had Bison Dele(Brian williams) for that one season.

I dont see Kwame succeeding because of Jackson, and he will probably just fall in line behind Kobe just like every other player on the team.

Terrible trade for LA...and this on the heels of drafting Andrew Bynum as high as they did too...Awesome trade for Washington though. Butler is a good player who can help them get over the loss of Hughes. Plus, if I remember correctly Butler grew up around Maryland so playing near home could further add to his game

No, this is a decent deal for the Lakers cause they are getting rid of garbage in terms of Devean or Atkins. Both are and were bums last season for the Lakers.

However Caron is a quality player and thats a good pickup by the Wiz. I also don't mind these deal for the Lakers caues Kwame is very talented and Kobe (whom I hate) does have a great work ethic and could potentially bring out the best in Brown. Plus the Lakers desperately needed a big man.

OF course they still need to get rid of Lamar Odom.

Kwame Brown could still turn into an offensive force at the PF slot. Whoever said he's cut out for the C slot in this thread is dead wrong, he just doesn't have the bulk. I won't be the least bit surprised when he starts putting in 20 per night, he'll just never be able to play effective defense because he doesn't have it upstairs. It takes a combination of work ethic, superior athleticism, and brains to play effective defense, and Kwame just doesn't have the brains.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
I highly doubt he puts up 20 a night.

I don't equate him with that type of consistency.

We'll see. If he gets 30+ minutes per, he could probably do it. I see him as a poor man's version of Jermaine O'Neal on offense. When he begins to peak, that is.

Would Kwame be playing the same spot as Lamar Odom?

As for Kobe having a superior work ethic, etc...

On the court, Kobe does what Kobe wants so that Kobe gets the spotlight. Tell me one player that he elevated into a better player. There is none. Last year he could have proved that he has what it takes to make everyone around him better, but he didnt. He took more shots, got more selfish, and the team sucked because of it.

Phil said in his book that he couldnt control Kobe then, and that he basically did what he wanted. I dont really care what they are saying to the press now, it doesnt matter. Phil is in it for a paycheck and the fame(if he lucks into a good season), if the Lakers fail, then Phil can go right back to blaming Kobe. Kobe wants the heat off of him, so he "let" Phil come back.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
Would Kwame be playing the same spot as Lamar Odom?

Lamar Odom should go back to his natural SF position, although I'm sure he'll get minutes at PF when the Lakers are up against a smaller lineup. With his body, he shouldn't be banging night in and night out with your Kenyon Martins, Elton Brands, Carlos Boozers, etc. He's at his deadliest when he can cut and slash to the rim. He can drive in from 10 feet out and finish, not back people in with his relatively small rear end. Unless you're 7'0 or close to it like Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal, you need big hips, a big ass, and a lot of upper body strength to hang with the majority of PFs in this league. And yet, he always rebounded very well from the PF slot even when overmatched. If we're talking rebounders out of the SF slot, he'll be right there with the best of them.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
Phil is gonna have to earn every bit of that 10 million dollar a year salary to get this team back in contention.  He's never been asked to coach this many young,  unproven talents as what LA has now.

I think they have a decent team. The big ? would be Kwame Brown. If Phil can turn him into the player people thought he would be than they can be a very very good team. 2 bad they wasted their draft pick on some garbage.... lol at yahoo they have is upside being Brendon Haywood.... thats a nice ceiling.

I also think their C.. Chris Mihm or however you spell it, while not that good is underated by some.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
I think they have a decent team.  The big ? would be Kwame Brown.  If Phil can turn him into the player people thought he would be than they can be a very very good team.  2 bad they wasted their draft pick on some garbage.... lol at yahoo they have is upside being Brendon Haywood.... thats a nice ceiling.

I also think their C.. Chris Mihm or however you spell it, while not that good is underated by some.

He may be underrated, but he was hardly healthy at all last year. And there's always the big question...will Kobe let the ball go down low?

Mihm is a great role player and a solid starter. His problem is he gets into foul trouble often and when that happens he dissapears from the game. The Lakers probably figure Brown will help him out to at least some extent, but this still doesn't solve their low post situation as they still need one more center/pf at the very least.

They also have a drastic need for a quality point guard.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
Mihm is a great role player and a solid starter.  His problem is he gets into foul trouble often and when that happens he dissapears from the game.  The Lakers probably figure Brown will help him out to at least some extent, but this still doesn't solve their low post situation as they still need one more center/pf at the very least.

They also have a drastic need for a quality point guard.

especially after trading Chucky Atkins.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
especially after trading Chucky Atkins.

Atkins was one of the teams problems. Atkins, Odom, and the lack of anyone in the low post was why the Lakers were so putrid last year.

Odom could be better this year though, if Phil can get him to play any defense and if he is able to play the 3 instead of the 4.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
Atkins was one of the teams problems.  Atkins, Odom, and the lack of anyone in the low post was why the Lakers were so putrid last year. 

Odom could be better this year though, if Phil can get him to play any defense and if he is able to play the 3 instead of the 4.

Do you know if they have a specific PG in mind? I don't have a free agent list handy, but I know that Earl Watson is out there. He is competent when bringing the ball up the court, and he can play damn good on-the-ball defense.

Right now, Kobe is the only quality defender in the starting unit. Everyone else is below averge to adequate. They're going to have to win games Dallas Mavericks style. They should get the 7th or 8th seed, and then get smashed by the Spurs or Suns in the 1st Round.