Kwame to the Lakers

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...ound/index.html

Sometimes in order to move into the future, one has to return to the past.

The 2004-05 Los Angeles Lakers were a listless bunch, a rudderless ship struggling to find its identity. Were they Kobe Bryant's team? Despite averaging 27.6 points per game -- 3.6 more than he did the previous season -- Bryant struggled in his new role as team leader. While his production went up, his turnovers (4.09 per game) were the highest of his career.

Were they Rudy Tomjanovich's team? They could have been, had medical problems not forced Rudy T into a consultant's role halfway through the season.

Maybe they were Lamar Odom's team. The versatile Odom did play a major role in leading a young Miami Heat team to the playoffs in '03-04.

So with the future of the franchise (as well as the prime years of Bryant's career) hanging in the balance, the Lakers turned to Phil Jackson, almost a year after the coach was given his walking papers by team owner Jerry Buss. But while many believe Jackson's role is merely transitional, I'm here to tell you that the Lakers can win a lot sooner than you might think.

One of the main problems with last season's Lakers was a distinct lack of continuity. Despite what seemed to be compatible skill sets, Bryant and Odom could never quite mesh. Neither Tomjanovich nor interim coach Frank Hamblen was able to properly utilize Odom's playmaking ability, leaving the forward visibly frustrated with his role in the offense. Jackson is a master motivator and with a little prodding should be able to blend the talents of Bryant and Odom much the same way he did with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen. If Odom has a problem being a sidekick, Jackson can remind him that Jordan's wingman was named one of the NBA's top 50 players.

In addition point guard no longer is a problem area. In Jackson's offense, a playmaking point is more a luxury than a necessity. Jackson has long been enamored with big guards who can shoot, which makes free agent Juan Dixon someone likely to pop up on the Lakers' radar

Then there is Kwame Brown, the X-factor in the L.A. equation. The No. 1 pick in the '01 draft was a complete bust in Washington, but there were a few mitigating factors. Brown lived under a microscope his first two seasons, struggling to develop his game while under a constant barrage of criticism from teammate Jordan and coach Doug Collins. Brown's confidence never really rebounded from that experience, his career in Washington culminating with a suspension for his childish behavior during the first round of last season's playoffs.

But Brown's talents are undeniable. He is a 6-foot-11 center in a league devoid of dominating big men. His footwork is is solid and he has shown flashes of brilliance during an otherwise ordinary four-year career. More important, Brown is only 23 and far from a finished product. As much as Collins favored tough love when it came to Brown, Jackson will coddle his new center with the hope that a change of scenery will be just what Brown needs, just as it was when Jermaine O'Neal left Portland for Indiana in '00.

Regardless of the outcome next season, general manager Mitch Kupchak has the Lakers well positioned for the future. With Brown set to sign a two-year contract (with a team option for a third year), L.A. will have only $37.1 million devoted to player salaries in '07, when prominent big men Yao Ming and Amare Stoudemire as well as swingman Tayshaun Prince could become unrestricted free agents. That number drops if Kupchak does not make a $2.6 million qualifying offer to Brian Cook or pick up the $1.75 million option on Sasha Vujacic.

The Lakers are still a circus, but in Jackson they finally have a competent ringleader. They may not have the guns to contend for a title during Jackson's tenure, but count on the Lakers to be still playing well after their 82-game season is complete.

Juan Dixon is a big guard? 6'3" 164, he is huge. How do you get the beat reporter job for the NBA, I could write this s*** and get paid for it and sound alot more like I know what I am talking about.....

Kwame Brown, happy trails. The former #1/#1 is now the Lakers problem. Good luck Phil. Get ready for a lot of hand holding. Kwame trying to figure out the Triangle offense will be like watching Lisa Kudrow trying to do some serious acting. The Wiz will get Caron Butler in return, filling the #2 void left by Larry Hughes. I call that a steal, no matter if the bloom is off the rose a bit for Butler. Remember Butler at the regional final against the Terps his final year at UConn. Silly. Butler had a great rookie year, then had to share looks with Dwayne Wade and then Kobe. Now he’ll have to coexist with Gilbert, but that should be a picnic by comparison. GA is crazy, but not really selfish. If the throw in player is Chucky Atkins, all the better. Atkins is a very competent backup point, which the Wiz need, since the team doesn’t seem to be in love with Steve Blake.

2. Bottom line on Kwame. He plays basketball because he can, not because he loves it. That was evident very early on in his tenure here. Can he find a heart? Can he motivate to be great? You tell me. How many guys do you know that had no stomach for greatness early in their career, and then suddenly found it? Right. There was another immature player here in DC, with an Adonis-like body, who seemed to play his sport just for the money and the trappings, and had a wildly inflated sense of self-importance. His name was Michael Westbrook, and the similarities are stunning. He’s now out of football.

-Steve Czaban

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...ound/index.html

Juan Dixon is a big guard?  6'3" 164, he is huge

He said that Kwame Brown is a center, which is clearly not the case. He put Jordan/Pippen in the same sentence as Bryant/Odom. He said that you can count on the Lakers performing well in the playoffs (exact words: after their 82 game season comes to an end).

That's why you're supposed to avoid Sports Illustrated. They will make you dumber in damn near every case.

Hammerhead. Haven't heard any names, although I'm assuming the Lakers have a mid-level exception and they will likely split it up on a PG and another big man. That or they will hope to find a taker for Brian Grants albatross of a contract and package him along with someone else and try to work something out (don't ask me how they could do that).

Earl Watson is a name that makes a lot of sense to me. Knows how to run an offense, is solid defensively. Basically he's a simliar player to Duhon (although I like Duhon more in the long-run). The other nice thing about Watson from the Laker perspective is that he'd quickly be a fan favorite since he's one of the few quality players to come out of UCLA in a while (still the more popular of the two schools in LA).

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Right now I'd say this trade is a good one for the Wizards. They lose Hughes to the Cavs, but getting Bulter will work just fine for the Wizards.

Butler stepped it up for the Lakers at the end of the season, they really should have shopped Odom for a better big man. this deal will look like a huge steal if Kwame doesn't reach his potential.

another thought, still the Lakers could surprise a lot of people, Mihm at center, Kwame PF, Odom SF, Kobe at the 2, and it-doesn't-matter at PG, with Phil Jackson bringing in an offensive system (the triangle, compared to "Give-the-ball-to-Kobe-and-be-ready-for-a-pass-just-in-case"), nobody's being asked to do too much and maybe now they'll play as a team. now that I think more, if Kwame comes close to reaching that potential, they could be a serious contender.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
another thought, still the Lakers could surprise a lot of people, Mihm at center, Kwame PF, Odom SF, Kobe at the 2, and it-doesn't-matter at PG, with Phil Jackson bringing in an offensive system (the triangle, compared to "Give-the-ball-to-Kobe-and-be-ready-for-a-pass-just-in-case"), nobody's being asked to do too much and maybe now they'll play as a team.  now that I think more, if Kwame comes close to reaching that potential, they could be a serious contender.

Thats basically the triangle. Spread out the floor so your scorer(Jordan or Kobe) can attack the basket and still have an option if he cannot get there. Kobe modiffied it last year to exclude the pass option ;)

The triangle isnt as special as everyone seems to think it is. Remember when Mr Bill employed it with the baby bulls? Not to mention that they couldnt figure out its "intricacies", but it just doesnt work if you dont have a bigtime scorer. The Bulls of the 90's had 2 bigtime scorers, and the Lakers before last year had 2 bigtime scorers, so it made Phil look like a genius, when all it really does is give them more opportunities to go one on one. Shaq, Pippen, Jordan, and Kobe can go one on one all day long and noone could hang with them.

I have become less enamored with Phil since I have been able to look at him from afar.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Do you know if they have a specific PG in mind?  I don't have a free agent list handy, but I know that Earl Watson is out there.  He is competent when bringing the ball up the court, and he can play damn good on-the-ball defense.

Right now, Kobe is the only quality defender in the starting unit.  Everyone else is below averge to adequate.  They're going to have to win games Dallas Mavericks style.  They should get the 7th or 8th seed, and then get smashed by the Spurs or Suns in the 1st Round.

Right now, the only point guard on the lakers roster is Sasha Vujacic, who is in his 2nd year, played 35 games last year, and averaged like 3.9 points.

According to the LAT, the number one PG on the Lakers list (even though PG is not always that important in the triangle - Odom or Bryant would most likely do most of the ball handling) is Antonio Daniels from Seattle. The Lakers have the mid-level exemption available, so they can offer him about $5 million a year.

The other names on the "Available point guard list" are Earl Watson, Dan Dickau, Tyronn Lue, Brevin Knight and Jeff McInnis.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
Butler stepped it up for the Lakers at the end of the season, they really should have shopped Odom for a better big man.  this deal will look like a huge steal if Kwame doesn't reach his potential.

The Lakers were also quite heavy at the small forward position; Odom, Walton, Devean George, and Jumaine Jones. They had to move one of those guys.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
Hammerhead.  Haven't heard any names, although I'm assuming the Lakers have a mid-level exception and they will likely split it up on a PG and another big man.  That or they will hope to find a taker for Brian Grants albatross of a contract and package him along with someone else and try to work something out (don't ask me how they could do that).

The Lakers will try to find a taker for Grant since he's in the last year of his contract, but I think the odds are that they won't, and under the new CBA the team has the right to cut 1 guy's contract out. I feel almost certain that this is what will happen with Grant; they will cut him, pay his contract out, but at the same time they'll save themselves about $30 million in luxury tax payments.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
another thought, still the Lakers could surprise a lot of people, Mihm at center, Kwame PF, Odom SF, Kobe at the 2, and it-doesn't-matter at PG, with Phil Jackson bringing in an offensive system (the triangle, compared to "Give-the-ball-to-Kobe-and-be-ready-for-a-pass-just-in-case"), nobody's being asked to do too much and maybe now they'll play as a team.  now that I think more, if Kwame comes close to reaching that potential, they could be a serious contender.

You need to play effective team defense if you want to be a contender. They're gonna get smoked in the first round.

And hell yes it mattes who your PG is.

My advice: don't get caught up in scoring potential on paper.

Watson, jaric, and daniels are all on the lakers radar.

If they sign jaric how insane would their height be in their starting line-up? Their point guard would be taller that 3/4 of the knick's.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
You need to play effective team defense if you want to be a contender.  They're gonna get smoked in the first round.

And hell yes it mattes who your PG is. 

My advice: don't get caught up in scoring potential on paper.

last year, they didn't do anything as a team. Jackson should fix that.

and Odom could effectively bring the ball up. he was originally a Magic-type player, but they told him to shoot more. really, how difficult is it to bring the ball past half-court and give it to Kobe or Odom?

so they should really be able to do everything, if it all works out right.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
Thats basically the triangle. Spread out the floor so your scorer(Jordan or Kobe) can attack the basket and still have an option if he cannot get there. Kobe modiffied it last year to exclude the pass option ;)

except to begin with, Odom & Co. didn't really give him an option. they sort of just dumped the ball off and stood around. so they couldn't even stick to "Give-the-ball-to-Kobe-and-be-ready-for-a-pass-just-in-case", they switched it to "Give-the-ball-to-Kobe-and-watch".

Check out this article on Kwame. Stern, but true.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5071501705.html

I also love how Laker fans try to spin Kwame off as being in the same situation Jermaine O'neal was in Portland. NEWSFLASH! O'neal had an all-star pf in Rasheed Wallace, a young Brian Grant, and a solid center in Arvidas Sabonis ahead of him. Who has Kwame had to go through? Popeye Jones? Jahidi White? Etan Thomas? Michael Ruffin? The dude is a total bust.