Padilla Article on Burnett Rumor

Steve9347

because the trade thread is too gigantic and pointless to sift through, and this wasn't in there anyway.

White Sox' rumor mill churns out Burnett

July 14, 2005

BY DOUG PADILLA Staff Reporter Advertisement

In one of the toughest trade markets in years, the White Sox are rumored to be part of the action if something significant goes down before the July 31 deadline.

Whether the Sox get involved remains up in the air, however, as general manager Ken Williams continues to worry that he might do more harm than good by adding a player to the team with the best record in baseball. Williams seems more likely to add a bench player or reliever than a player of significance who might disrupt team chemistry.

But the usually media-friendly Williams pulled the unusual maneuver Wednesday of not returning a voice-message request to talk about his club, a sign that he could be busy with an upcoming deal.

The latest rumor involving the Sox failed to materialize Wednesday when the Washington Nationals traded pitcher Zach Day to the Colorado Rockies for outfielder Preston Wilson. The Sox were a possible third team in that deal, believed to be interested in obtaining Day and sending the Rockies prospects and cash. Day then was rumored to be part of another higher-profile exchange.

The Florida Marlins and Sox have been rumored to be talking about a deal that would bring hard-throwing A.J. Burnett to the South Side. Some media outlets have reported that the Sox have been the most aggressive team in the Burnett talks. A top Marlins scout was at U.S. Cellular Field last weekend.

Manager Ozzie Guillen is well aware of what Burnett can do from his season as the Marlins' third-base coach in 2003.

Earlier this month, rumors began to heat up that the San Francisco Giants' Jason Schmidt was close to coming to the Sox. The Giants reportedly want two major-league-ready starters for Schmidt, and Jose Contreras likely would be one of them. Schmidt, though, has struggled lately, and talk of him going to the Sox has cooled.

Williams has every right to worry about chemistry after the Sox roared out to a 57-29 first-half record. But he also has the most legitimate championship contender in his tenure as Sox GM and might be tempted to add one more major piece to the mix.

''Believe me, if there is something out there that is really special, don't you think for one minute that if I felt it gets us to the World Series, yeah, we would aggressively pursue that,'' Williams said last month.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
I think the Burnett deal is in serious troubel now that the Jays are heavily involved. I think AJ will end up there.

I think the Halladay injury makes the Jays sellers myself...unless they think they can pull off what we did with Freddie and sign Burnett immediately.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
I really hope we don't trade for AJ UNLESS we immediately get him locked up because he is going to cost us a lot.

That should be Kenny's #1 goal if they are even talking to him yet.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
I really hope we don't trade for AJ UNLESS we immediately get him locked up because he is going to cost us a lot.

Won't JR seriously have to expand payroll to get this done? If he'll do it (as he has said), great, but if it will affect paying Garland and others I don't know if it will be the best scenario.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
How sick would this rotation be?

Buehrle

Garcia

Garland

Burnett

ContrerASS

There's not a guy in there that people enjoy facing.

By people you do mean everyteam except the Athletics...They love facing our team. :banghead

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
Won't JR seriously have to expand payroll to get this done?  If he'll do it (as he has said), great, but if it will affect paying Garland and others I don't know if it will be the best scenario.

I don't see Burnett costing any more than 10 million a year. With the loss of Konerko (bye-bye) and Frank's restructured contract, I don't see why this won't work out.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
One of those deals where we get a chance to talk to AJ about a contract situation...befoere the trade goes through

Right.. like he did with Garcia.. although that was different since Kenny knew he would agree to it. I hope both sides are being upfront about their intentions..

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
Won't JR seriously have to expand payroll to get this done?  If he'll do it (as he has said), great, but if it will affect paying Garland and others I don't know if it will be the best scenario.

I would not be surprised to see next years payroll right at the $100 million mark.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
I would not be surprised to see next years payroll right at the $100 million mark.

I would. I don't see it eclipsing 85 to start the season next year... unless we miraculously win the World Series.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)

Likewise-I think even a playoff run to the ALCS or World Series will get JR to up the payroll to add a bat or two. He wants that World Series bad, and there is no better time than now with the pitching we currently have.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
I think the Burnett deal is in serious troubel now that the Jays are heavily involved. I think AJ will end up there.

If he does go to Toronto, they'll have to part with Chacin.

With The Blue Jays reeling from Roy Halladay's injury, they could be the favorites to land AJ Burnett. The key would be Burnett agreeing to a contract extension with the Blue Jays.

Apparently the Marlins covet Toronto's rookie left-hander Gustavo Chacin and Toronto will part with him if it lands them Burnett. ''If [Toronto] could sign Burnett, the deal would get done now,'' the source said. Stay tuned.

KW may have to up the ante if he really wants him.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
I don't see Burnett costing any more than 10 million a year.  With the loss of Konerko (bye-bye) and Frank's restructured contract, I don't see why this won't work out.

I see Burnett thinking that right now, with his fastball, if he hit the FA Market he could get a fair amount more than $10 million a year. Pavano got $10 million a year, and that was last year.