Padilla Article on Burnett Rumor

Steve9347

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
I don't think Baltimore can like their chances.  Even with a lot of Boston's key players on the DL, they still finished in first at the ASB.  Baltimore just doesn't have the pitching to do it and I don't think Burnett is the difference between having the pitching and not having it.

Baltimore loves their chances. They think they are going to take the division easily.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
I don't think Baltimore can like their chances.  Even with a lot of Boston's key players on the DL, they still finished in first at the ASB.  Baltimore just doesn't have the pitching to do it and I don't think Burnett is the difference between having the pitching and not having it.

Especially with Bedards health being Iffy. Its a huge gamble that I dont think Baltimore would want to take.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
Baltimore has a lot of scratch and with the Yanks doing so badly, and no fear of Boston, they might just try to buy the division.

I don't know about the Orioles chances; the division is a lot closer now than people realize.

Boston 49-38 -

Baltimore 47-40 2

NY 46-40 2.5

However, this is easily the best opportunity Baltimore's had in awhile, so if they're going to decide to go all in, now's a time to do it.

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
Baltimore loves their chances. They think they are going to take the division easily.

I think it's only a matter of time until Boston takes over the division, especially with Schilling potentially filling out that bullpen. He'll do really great in that role.

The winds have changed in the East. For most of the first half of the season, Baltimore's been pretty healthy (Sosa aside) and gotten good breaks. Now there's some cracks showing on that team and they've played horribly the last week or two against NYY and BOS.

Burnett to Baltimore is only good if they sign him long term. That sort of deal would be a lot like the Garcia deal from last year. Burnett is at best a #2 or #3 pitcher (especially with his durability issues), but would boost that rotation.

What else can Baltimore do?

The AL East leaders are slumping, the Nationals are in 1st, they need to take their chance now. They have tried to buy free agents and that has not worked, they live in the shadow of the Red Sox and Yankees, and if the Nationals start to erode their fan base, 3 years from now they may have no shot at winning.

Baltimore is not assured anything, but right now the Al East is as weak as it has been for years, and may be as weak as it will be for years to come. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

SB

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
Wedge.. I agree. But they don't. They think they are going to beat both the Yanks and Boston. Really.. they do..  :ph34r:

OK, OK. They are idiots for feeling that way. Realistically, they have a lot of nice pieces right now and should try to use the trade deadline to put together a nice 2006 squad that could make a serious run. Next year, Boston will probably be a bit on the downswing and I'm not sure if NYY can seriously improve its squad this offseason.

I guess Burnett in a long term deal would do it, but they really need an ace (we can argue all day if Buehrle is a true ace or not, but Ponson definitely is not an ace).

I don't know, but as far as I'm concerned, we got to go battle with the team we have now so let's take it that way. I could care less about rumors at this point in the season. So far, nothing looks realistic and there really hasn't been a whisper strong enough for me to think we might getting Burnett.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
I really hope we don't trade for AJ UNLESS we immediately get him locked up because he is going to cost us a lot.

The Score said that the trade would be Burnett and Mike Lowell for McCarthy, Crede, and another prospect or two. Didnt specify the prospects.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
Wedge.. I agree. But they don't. They think they are going to beat both the Yanks and Boston. Really.. they do..  :ph34r:

And they should feel that way. This is the best position they have been in in a long time.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
Damn it.  I hate Crede, but I don't want to see him replaced by Lowell.  I want Burnett badly, but I don't wanna have to lose great defense for it.  AHHHHHHHHH, why can't this be easy?!

because it's not MVP

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Damn it.  I hate Crede, but I don't want to see him replaced by Lowell.  I want Burnett badly, but I don't wanna have to lose great defense for it.  AHHHHHHHHH, why can't this be easy?!

Why do you want Burnett badly?

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
because it's not MVP

That'd be nice, though. I win GM of the year all the time in that :P

Why do you want Burnett badly?

Because he's the best pitcher available. You already shat all over the Schmidt deal. What the hell do you have against Burnett?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
That'd be nice, though.  I win GM of the year all the time in that :P

Because he's the best pitcher available.  You already shat all over the Schmidt deal.  What the hell do you have against Burnett?

you want something big, you gotta give something big.

I'd take a downgrade at 3b for burnett. definitely

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
I dont believe score said anything

Heard it this morning on one of the news update blurbs. The midmorning show, whatever it is. The Marlins want an everyday player and it makes sense to swap third basemen.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Because he's the best pitcher available.  You already shat all over the Schmidt deal.  What the hell do you have against Burnett?

I think I was justified in s***ting all over the Schmidt deal. That would have been a mistake. A high cost and a high amount of risk. That isn't a sound method of doing business, particularly when you already have something successful going on.

I have nothing against Burnett. He may or may not be the best pitcher available, but I just don't see him improving the team that much. I definitely don't think he will improve the team as much as it will cost to get him.

Ask yourself, would you trade BMac straight up for Burnett? I wouldn't. That's five years of cheap, and probably pretty decent pitching (Jon Garland 2001-2004 as a floor and Mark Prior as a ceiling) for a half a season of a pitcher who may or may not improve our team and then cost more than any other pitcher on our staff. Additionally, that guy isn't an ace and doesn't have playoff experience and has pitched 30 games in a season once.

I believe you want this trade to happen for the sake of a trade happening.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
The Score said that the trade would be Burnett and Mike Lowell for McCarthy, Crede, and another prospect or two.  Didnt specify the prospects.

Holy hell, unless the prospects were something like Chris Young and Gio I'd do that in a friggin heartbeat. Basically if it was one of our top propsects and something like Baj (Marlins could use bullpen help) I'd jump on it. And even if it were something like any one of our top outfielders and a top arm I'd still consider it.

Lowell is having a down year (although he does have 24 doubles...we'd probably see a bit of a power spike if he came here), and I'm not as high on Burnett as a lot of people are on this site but that price certainly seems right. We add two guys with a good amount of postseason experience, shore up our rotation to a point where we don't have to rely on duque, and if we sign Burnett past this year, we don't really "lose" much in this deal because he'd take McCarthy's place in the future plans for our rotation.

The big hesitation here is that this is the type of move big market teams do. Are we finally going to make a leap in payroll? If not, prospect-laden deals hurt us in the long run where we'd need to rely on quality league-minimum salary players. We are starting to prove to be a place where some players want to go in FA, but we're not on everyone's short list. To me, a deal such as this shows not only the direction of this year's team, but the team in general for the next 3 years.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
you want something big, you gotta give something big.

I'd take a downgrade at 3b for burnett. definitely

I am not a Lowell fan by any means. But If I remember correctly he does pretty well in the playoffs. And he hit .250 in June and .290 so far in July. He had a terrible April and May. His overly pull hitting doesnt fit in my personal hitting philosophy but he hits very well against lefties(.313 BA with a .903 OPS).

I would take AJ over Conteras any day of the week. AJ can be the 4th start in the playoffs and is someone that would give us the best 1-4 in the bigs.

I dont see Burnett getting dealt until the deadline or a few days before. I am sure the Marlins are just waiting for a great package that they cant pass up as teams will start to get desperate with so many teams aggressively pursueing Burnett. Just my .02, but I hope it happens soon.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
I am not a Lowell fan by any means.  But If I remember correctly he does pretty well in the playoffs.  And he hit .250 in June and .290 so far in July.  He had a terrible April and May.  His overly pull hitting doesnt fit in my personal hitting philosophy but he hits very well against lefties(.313 BA with a .903 OPS). 

I would take AJ over Conteras any day of the week.  AJ can be the 4th start in the playoffs and is someone that would give us the best 1-4 in the bigs.

He hit pretty well in the playoffs, but that was after he put up monster numbers that season before he was hurt...he literally played so well that year that teams couldn't trade for him.

When I look at Lowell, I look at a guy who I'm really starting to wonder if he can find whatever he lost...for whatever reason (take your own guesses) he has plummeted in quality at the plate this year.

His numbers right now this season are WORSE than Crede's in every single category except for number of walks. Crede has more RBI, a much better average, higher OPS, more runs scored, in fewer at bats than Lowell.

If you're frustrated by our hot and cold 3b, you'd be doubly frustrated by a guy who has basically been cold ALL YEAR. And on top of that, he's a clear downgrade at 3b.

This one would be a mistake, I don't care what you say about Burnett making up the difference.