Padilla Article on Burnett Rumor

Steve9347

QUOTE(Tadahito15 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
I dont see Burnett getting dealt until the deadline or a few days before. I am sure the Marlins are just waiting for a great package that they cant pass up as teams will start to get desperate with so many teams aggressively pursueing Burnett. Just my .02, but I hope it happens soon.

That is a large concern, seeing as everyone is always looking for more pitching. As much as everyone is tossing around the Jays and the Orioles, I'm most worried about the red sox in this situation. They defintely have some minor leaguers that are attractive to prospective trade partners and they have the deep pockets as well. Plus, with Schilling going to the pen they're going to need a starter...BAD.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
That is a large concern, seeing as everyone is always looking for more pitching. As much as everyone is tossing around the Jays and the Orioles, I'm most worried about the red sox in this situation. They defintely have some minor leaguers that are attractive to prospective trade partners and they have the deep pockets as well. Plus, with Schilling going to the pen they're going to need a starter...BAD.

Yankees just put their most consistent starter, Wang, on the DL. It's shoulder inflammation, which could mean everything, but they are always a wild card in things like this. They just don't have many pieces...the thing is, it really hasn't stopped them before.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
He hit pretty well in the playoffs, but that was after he put up monster numbers that season before he was hurt...he literally played so well that year that teams couldn't trade for him.

When I look at Lowell, I look at a guy who I'm really starting to wonder if he can find whatever he lost...for whatever reason (take your own guesses) he has plummeted in quality at the plate this year.

His numbers right now this season are WORSE than Crede's in every single category except for number of walks.  Crede has more RBI, a much better average, higher OPS, more runs scored, in fewer at bats than Lowell.

If you're frustrated by our hot and cold 3b, you'd be doubly frustrated by a guy who has basically been cold ALL YEAR.  And on top of that, he's a clear downgrade at 3b.

This one would be a mistake, I don't care what you say about Burnett making up the difference.

I would have to agree about Burnett NOT outweighing the Lowell v. Crede difference. If Lowell's numbers arent bad enough this year, his contract situation is even worse for his perfomance :puke . I would only do this deal if somehow Lowell and Crede arent included and we give up someone else, like a highly touted prosect. It just seems silly to downgrade at 3B when we could also use some offense on top of great pitching. If this trade were to go down, we would really have to depend on Lowell providing a lot of offense.

QUOTE(Tadahito15 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
I would have to agree about Burnett NOT outweighing the Lowell v. Crede difference. If Lowell's numbers arent bad enough this year, his contract situation is even worse for his perfomance  :puke . I would only do this deal if somehow Lowell and Crede arent included and we give up someone else, like a highly touted prosect. It just seems silly to downgrade at 3B when we could also use some offense on top of great pitching. If this trade were to go down, we would really have to depend on Lowell providing a lot of offense.

Let me ask you this. If KW wanted to trade for lowell, how do you think KW would want him to play? Would he want him to be having a career year or a down year? You want to trade for players when thier value is lowest and trade your own guys whose value is highest.

For an example of this see Koch for Foulke.

QUOTE(marsh @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Let me ask you this. If KW wanted to trade for lowell, how do you think KW would want him to play? Would he want him to be having a career year or a down year? You want to trade for players when thier value is lowest and trade your own guys whose value is highest.

For an example of this see Koch for Foulke.

This is true. It is just a gamble on whether or not he can make a BIG comeback. I dont know what has been wrong with him since the second half last year...

QUOTE(Tadahito15 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
This is true. It is just a gamble on whether or not he can make a BIG comeback. I dont know what has been wrong with him since the second half last year...

I agree it's a gamble, most trades are. I'm going to trust KW and Ozzie's experience with the Marlins to make the decision on if it's a gamble worth making.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
Yeah I don't buy the aforementioned deal because the Marlins aren't going to want prospects for the most part. I do feel that Lowell for Crede makes some sense on both sides but he does pull in some coin.

What if the Marlins picked up half of Lowell's contract? That might not be a bad trade. Then we would def. have to deal BMac.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
What if the Marlins picked up half of Lowell's contract?  That might not be a bad trade.  Then we would def. have to deal BMac.

If Contreras is part of the deal, and that's a huge if, that would almost balance out lowell's for this year and next year.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
Yeah I don't buy the aforementioned deal because the Marlins aren't going to want prospects for the most part. I do feel that Lowell for Crede makes some sense on both sides but he does pull in some coin.

The Marlins would take prospects if those prospects were Anderson, BMAC, or maybe Rogo or Jenks. They have several young "prospects" of their own that are close so it would require prospects who are close from us because they arent rebuilding, they are just retooling.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
When I look at Lowell, I look at a guy who I'm really starting to wonder if he can find whatever he lost...for whatever reason (take your own guesses) he has plummeted in quality at the plate this year.

His numbers right now this season are WORSE than Crede's in every single category except for number of walks.  Crede has more RBI, a much better average, higher OPS, more runs scored, in fewer at bats than Lowell.

If you're frustrated by our hot and cold 3b, you'd be doubly frustrated by a guy who has basically been cold ALL YEAR.  And on top of that, he's a clear downgrade at 3b.

This one would be a mistake, I don't care what you say about Burnett making up the difference.

Well, look at two things with Lowell

1) His average by month this year:

April .198

May .202

June .250

July .290

2) His career stats. Between 2000 and 2004 he never hit below .270 and averaged 25 HR and 100 RBI. Pretty solid stuff, maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

Also, the Phillies just hung a four spot on Burnett in the second inning. :(

I'm not on the for acquiring Mike Lowell Bandwagon. Yes his splits are improving each month, but he's still essentially tied down into that deal when you've got a guy in Crede who has better power numbers and is probably a better fielder. Plus have a look at this;

HOME - .240/.314/.371

AWAY - .207/.234/.322