John Garland & Paul Konerko

Steve9347

since the other thread was locked, and a decent conversation was beginning.

Paul Konerko will walk... There is no doubt there will be interest, and good for him when LA signs him to a 12.5 million dollar/year deal. I'll just be glad that's not us.

As for Garland, I think he will make around 8, and I hope we can sign him for 4-5 years. He has finally turned the corner, I would hate to see another team enjoy the fruits of our labor.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
Jon is staying and so is Paulie

That's it, I'm starting the no-Paulie Club...

Our slogan....'Down with the guy who runs like he has s*** in his diaper'

That's kind of a long slogan...any suggestions?

Here's the dilema with Konerko.

I personally think Konerko is one of the leaders on the team (note I say one) and is also a definate fan favorite. His production is definately down this year (specifically average wise) but he is one of the better 1st baseman in baseball.

The whole question is will he sign a deal similar to what he currently has (8-9 mill a year) or will he look for a Richie Sexson like deal (and he can get a Richie Sexson like deal...which would be in the neighborhood of 5yr 60 mill).

Just look at Sexson's stats and tell me that Paulie isn't as good as Richie, if not better (cause over the long haul he's been a better average hitter).

As far as Garland goes. He's just arbitration eligible and I'd reckon he'd get about 6 mill a year. I'd like to see them give a deal somewhere along the lines of 3 yr 21 mill (1st year at like 5 or 6 mill, then bump the other years up slowly).

3yr 18 would be fantastic if he were to agree to it.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
I really like him too, but his bad average and lack of production with RISP is getting old...and he'll be over paid...

I dont know why but I have a feeling the 2nd half is going to do him well and were all gonna want to keep him

Prediction for his ending

PK .295 avg

42 hr

121 rbi

1 SB (its possible)

Playoffs:

.350 avg

6 hr

25 RBI

World Series MVP

just call me ZOLTAR

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
I beat you by about a week.

why hate konerko it makes no sense????? Without him there is a good chance we wouldnt be in first and another thing...in your sig it says no true an will forget what herbert did????He wasnt that good? am a true fan and i forgot if he was that good hed be on the team...the only memory i have of the 2000 season is getting sweeped by seattle? So why cant you guys jsut accept we have konerko and with him we have the best record,and one of the best 1B in American league, betterthen young,giambi,palmerio,erstad,sexson,Millar or who ever they have at first and whoever plays first for tampa.Hes a solid hitter and solid Deffense and a lot fo you want to get rid of him??To me that makes no sense

With everybody on the trade paul konerko bandwagon let me remind you guys that he went 5-6. His first career 5 hit game on the sunday b4 the break. Lets see what he does tonight, personally i think he is valuable to this team.

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
why hate konerko it makes no sense????? Without him there is a good chance we wouldnt be in first and another thing...in your sig it says no true an will forget what herbert did????He wasnt that good?  am a true fan and i forgot if he was that good hed be on the team...the only memory i have of the 2000 season is getting sweeped by seattle? So why cant you guys jsut accept we have konerko and with him we have the best record,and one of the best 1B in American league, betterthen young,giambi,palmerio,erstad,sexson,Millar or who ever they have at first and whoever plays first for tampa.Hes a solid hitter and solid Deffense and a lot fo you want to get rid of him??To me that makes no sense

He's highly overpaid, and it's only going to get worse when he hits free agency. You can love Konerko all you want, but I don't like a guy that hits around .200 with RISP, hits below .250, K's, pops up, or hits a homer in every single at bat. A guy that's slower than I've ever seen a player and has no range at 1B. Sure he gets most of the balls that go at him, but that hardly means he's a good defender because he can't get to anything, ahemDEREKJETERahem.

So would I rather have a 1B that can field better, is faster, will hit for a higher average with less power, can do the small things, and comes waaaay cheaper? Yes, and I'd spend the money saved on pitching.

Didn't somebody say that Konerko was offered an extension once or twice already? I believe somebody said that. So, I put forward:

Konerko = Maggs.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Konerko = Maggs.

Far from correct......paulie aint going to be whining over a 4 year 70 mil contract like maggs.....i don't think he was offered an extension yet, i can see him signing here for like 4 years 36-38 mil or 5 years 45-50 mil

Garland won't make 8 mil considering arbitrators will look at the whole picture and not this year, look for him to recieve about 5-6 mill I would think. Pauly needs to be let go, he's going to make a ton of money during the offseason and he's just not having that great of a year, hopefully he can right himself for the 2nd half because it'd be huge for this team if he can get hot like last year, I'm definitely hoping that happens. First priorities in the offseason imo should be signing Jon and AJ long term.