John Garland & Paul Konerko

Steve9347

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
Garland won't make 8 mil considering arbitrators will look at the whole picture and not this year, look for him to recieve about 5-6 mill I would think.  Pauly needs to be let go, he's going to make a ton of money during the offseason and he's just not having that great of a year, hopefully he can right himself for the 2nd half because it'd be huge for this team if he can get hot like last year, I'm definitely hoping that happens.  First priorities in the offseason imo should be signing Jon and AJ long term.

One of Konerko and Thomas will be gone, plus Carl Everett. So if the Sox payroll does in fact go up to say 100 mill (25 mill increase). Hell even if the Sox keep Thomas and Konerko, they would be letting Everett go. Konerko makes 8 mill right now (or so) and gets a fat contract worth 11 mill a year. Thomas will make roughly the same.

Basically put, Everett and his 4.5 mill would pay for Thomas and Konerko's raises, meaning even after Thomas and Konerko are resigned, the Sox payroll would stand at 75 mill. The team would have jumps to a few players (namely Garland) and would have to ink up someone like AJ long term. Realistically speaking though, if the club set 7 mill aside for all that (raises to Garl, inking AJP, and than just generic contract raises) that would mean the club is at 83 mill with 17 million to spend in free agency.

If they let Konerko or Thomas walk...you could put that figure into the 25-28 mill range.

This is all assuming a very high payroll, which may or may not happen, although I think you could see the payroll hit the 90 mill range (at the very least it will be 85 next year, imo).

Simply put, regardless of Frank and Paulie's situation, if the Sox are willing to up payroll, the Sox will have some money to add FA's or make a trade for a guy making good money.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
Far from correct......paulie aint going to be whining over a 4 year 70 mil contract like maggs.....i don't think he was offered an extension yet, i can see him signing here for like 4 years 36-38 mil or 5 years 45-50 mil

Somebody here was saying he turned down an offer or two, but I'm not quite sure. I'll wait until somebody says for certain.

And both of those contracts you mentioned are way too much for such a one dimensional player. He's not even worth what he makes now.

If PK does end up signing with another team for much more money than he's making now, I can't wait to see how people react. If that happens, a lot of people will start to agree with that comparison.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
Somebody here was saying he turned down an offer or two, but I'm not quite sure.  I'll wait until somebody says for certain.

And both of those contracts you mentioned are way too much for such a one dimensional player.  He's not even worth what he makes now.

If PK does end up signing with another team for much more money than he's making now, I can't wait to see how people react.  If that happens, a lot of people will start to agree with that comparison.

No, the reason I think most are mad at Magglio is that he turned down a very very very good contract offer (as good as the one the Tigers gave him).

Paulie has yet to do that with the Sox. Plus if Paulie went on the open market he'll get a contract along the lines of Richie Sexson (12 mill a year). Or at least I think he'd get close to it.

My guess is the Sox will offer Paulie a deal somewhere between 8-10 mill a year for about 3 years.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
One of Konerko and Thomas will be gone, plus Carl Everett.  So if the Sox payroll does in fact go up to say 100 mill (25 mill increase).  Hell even if the Sox keep Thomas and Konerko, they would be letting Everett go.  Konerko makes 8 mill right now (or so) and gets a fat contract worth 11 mill a year.  Thomas will make roughly the same. 

Basically put, Everett and his 4.5 mill would pay for Thomas and Konerko's raises, meaning even after Thomas and Konerko are resigned, the Sox payroll would stand at 75 mill.  The team would have jumps to a few players (namely Garland) and would have to ink up someone like AJ long term.  Realistically speaking though, if the club set 7 mill aside for all that (raises to Garl, inking AJP, and than just generic contract raises) that would mean the club is at 83 mill with 17 million to spend in free agency.

If they let Konerko or Thomas walk...you could put that figure into the 25-28 mill range.

This is all assuming a very high payroll, which may or may not happen, although I think you could see the payroll hit the 90 mill range (at the very least it will be 85 next year, imo). 

Simply put, regardless of Frank and Paulie's situation, if the Sox are willing to up payroll, the Sox will have some money to add FA's or make a trade for a guy making good money.

That's why I've been saying that I think if Burnett is traded here a deal would get done with him quickly because they aren't going to need much next year and they'll be able to throw some money at him. Think of it this way, you add Burnett lets say let Pauly walk(which I think is far from a sure thing) rework Thomas's deal which I believe most of us think'll happen, Dye to first base and you basically have your lineup, rotation and most of hte bullpen intact with our top 4 arms back for next year(Cliff has an option that will be picked up) plus Jenks. So with that done you can probably add one more arm and a bench player maybe and there ya go.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
My guess is the Sox will offer Paulie a deal somewhere between 8-10 mill a year for about 3 years.

Which I'd call more than fair for him. And if he turns that down to go for more money, Konerko = Maggs in my book.

These Dye theories are looking really far-fetched. Jermaine is an OF, not a 1B.

1B is the easiest position to learn, especially for a guy of Dye's stature and athletic ability. He can learn it and it probably wouldn't be too hard for him. So, it wouldn't say it's far-fetched at all.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
No, the reason I think most are mad at Magglio is that he turned down a very very very good contract offer (as good as the one the Tigers gave him).

Paulie has yet to do that with the Sox.  Plus if Paulie went on the open market he'll get a contract along the lines of Richie Sexson (12 mill a year).  Or at least I think he'd get close to it. 

It's not going to be an easy decision to let Pauly walk because it will be a huge PR hit because he is really loved in Chicago which he has earned with his stick and what kind of person he seems to be. The thing also is Pauly isn't an as like Maggs. As much as Pauly has aggrivated me this year and as much as I think we need to let him move on it will be hard to see him in another uni for me if he's let go. But sometimes you just have to make those kind of decisions for the betterment of the team.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
That's why I've been saying that I think if Burnett is traded here a deal would get done with him quickly because they aren't going to need much next year and they'll be able to throw some money at him.  Think of it this way, you add Burnett lets say let Pauly walk(which I think is far from a sure thing) rework Thomas's deal which I believe most of us think'll happen, Dye to first base and you basically have your lineup, rotation and most of hte bullpen intact with our top 4 arms back for next year(Cliff has an option that will be picked up) plus Jenks.  So with that done you can probably add one more arm and a bench player maybe and there ya go.

If the Sox let Paulie go, you can bet they'll make a heavy push at a guy like Aubrey Huff over the off-season to play 1st base (while also adding a left handed bat).

However, finacially speaking, you are right. Sox can aquire Burnett and sign him and I think there is a decent chance they get him or another player with the overall plan being similar (to keep the guy acquired for the next few years).

I'm almost sure that at some point on AM 1000 I heard that the Sox offered somewhere in the neighborhood of 4/$42 mil and Paulie/his agent haven't made a move on it. I think that's already too much unless he gets his average up quite a bit. Even then I wouldn't be happy about it because of his streakiness.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
I'm almost sure that at some point on AM 1000 I heard that the Sox offered somewhere in the neighborhood of 4/$42 mil and Paulie/his agent haven't made a move on it. I think that's already too much unless he gets his average up quite a bit. Even then I wouldn't be happy about it because of his streakiness.

Thanks a lot, I didn't know how to find anything like that.

If PK isn't happy with $10.5 million a year, he can go straight to hell. I'm sure he needs to squeeze that other $1.5 million more a year out of someone. He sure needs it, looks like the guy hasn't been eating enough. He's wasting away to nothing.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)

Any idea about when this was..?? I'm trying to narrow down a search. I can not imagine Paul not even bothering to respond... especially after how Sox fans turned on Maggs.

I honestly don't recall ever hearing him getting an offer.. :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
Any idea about when this was..?? I'm trying to narrow down a search. I can not imagine Paul not even bothering to respond... especially after how Sox fans turned on Maggs.

I honestly don't recall ever hearing him getting an offer..  :huh

I think I heard it on the way home from the Friday game against the Cubs, although I'm not entirely sure.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
4 years $42 million is Pujoles money.  If we're going to shell out that much money for a 1B, we should find one that hits for power AND average.  I like Paul, for about $6 million a year.

The only reason Pujols is making that little is he signed a monster deal for 10 years at a discount rate. The guys to look at are last year's FA, like Sexon, Beltre, and Glaus. All of those guys are in the $12 mil range, and considering how thin this year's group looks I could see Paulie getting it.

we've got one more year of Garland and two with Buehrle.

hate to see either guy leave -- but I'm not holding my breath they will be around.

As for Paulie, he won't be back.

they'll use Gload or Dye for a year. Rogowski still might make it.

Can't see us using 15 percent of our payroll on a first baseman.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
The only reason Pujols is making that little is he signed a monster deal for 10 years at a discount rate. The guys to look at are last year's FA, like Sexon, Beltre, and Glaus. All of those guys are in the $12 mil range, and considering how thin this year's group looks I could see Paulie getting it.

He can get it, but hopefully not from the Sox. Our money can be better spent in another manner. Moving Dye to 1B and finding another full time OF isn't a bad one.

I think Konerko would prefer to sign here even if it meant taking slightly less money (about 9 mil a year) but I think KW would rather spend that money on pitching.

Obviously it all depends on how far we go this year but the 1B options for '06 are:

A) resign Konerko

B) free agency/not likely

C) Trade /Casey,Overbay, nick johnson, huff etc. (lotta lefties out there)

D) In house/ Gload/Dye/Everett super platoon in RF/1B

E) Our minor league system, Rogo?/not likely

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Who replaces him?

These Dye theories are looking really far-fetched.  Jermaine is an OF, not a 1B.

Dye might be moved there. Maybe a Gload/Fullmer (if healthy) platoon. Gload/Rogo (doubtful but maybe) platoon? There are a couple options. Plus, there's bound to be some FA's that could be signed and do a serviceable job.

Konerko might not have range, but he can pick 'em. And that's what's most important, at least to me, for a first baseman. Diving stops up the line are good to look at, but those don't happen every game. Short hops from the hole or a barehanded scoop and throw happen much more often and Paulie's pretty damn good at it. And now that he's got some protection in the lineup, I think we will have a much better second half. All speculation, of course.

As for contracts, unless the Yanks or Dodgers or some other team offer him something outrageous, he's probably going to stay. I seem to remember reading somewhere he didn't like being bounced around from the Dodgers to the Reds to the Sox. And Dye at first, meh.

Still, let's think about this year and then worry about next year after the trophy presentation.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
If the Sox offered Konerko arbitration, and he refused/declined it, would we get one or two draft picks?  Can someone with knowledge of arbitration chime in on this?

Konerko is beyond arbitration, I believe. However, if he left, I believe we could get a sandwich pick.

What pick you get is determined by the record of the team that signs them.

If the pick is top 15 I believe it is protected though.

(Edit)

Also the free agents are classified as, A, B, C, where A's get first round pick, and so on down.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger