John Garland & Paul Konerko

Steve9347

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
What pick you get is determined by the record of the team that signs them.

If the pick is top 15 I believe it is protected though.

(Edit)

Also the free agents are classified as, A, B, C, where A's get first round pick, and so on down.

SB

I know we gave up our first last season when we signed Hernandez, so I'm sure that Konerko would be an A free agent.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
Konerko might not have range, but he can pick 'em.  And that's what's most important, at least to me, for a first baseman.  Diving stops up the line are good to look at, but those don't happen every game.  Short hops from the hole or a barehanded scoop and throw happen much more often and Paulie's pretty damn good at it.  And now that he's got some protection in the lineup, I think we will have a much better second half.  All speculation, of course.

As for contracts, unless the Yanks or Dodgers or some other team offer him something outrageous, he's probably going to stay.  I seem to remember reading somewhere he didn't like being bounced around from the Dodgers to the Reds to the Sox.  And Dye at first, meh. 

Still, let's think about this year and then worry about next year after the trophy presentation.

The one thing that Dye and a lot of other first basemen have on konerko is height. he has to jump up to catch the ball and tag out the runner more than anyone i've ever seen.

QUOTE(marsh @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
The one thing that Dye and a lot of other first basemen have on konerko is height. he has to jump up to catch the ball and tag out the runner more than anyone i've ever seen.

In terms of 1b next year, let's not forget that if he's healthy, we don't have a bad backup in Ross Gload.

The guy played almost half a season for us last year, hit .321, with 7 home runs and 44 driven in over exactly 250 plate appearances. OBP of .375, OPS of .854. These are not bad numbers for a guy making $335,000 a year. And from the left side of the plate as well. Scale that up and we'd be talking about a guy who could drive in nearly 100 runs with nearly 20 home runs, and those were his numbers basically as a rookie.

He has put up good numbers at AAA ball this year as well.

And he's never made an error in his MLB career at 1b (others have said he's very good over there).

For a backup option, he's certainly not a bad one...if he's healthy. If he could run off a whole season with those numbers, he'd be better than anyone on my list of "who could we play there". The shoulder is the whole key, IMO.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
In terms of 1b next year, let's not forget that if he's healthy, we don't have a bad backup in Ross Gload.

The guy played almost half a season for us last year, hit .321, with 7 home runs and 44 driven in over exactly 250 plate appearances.  OBP of .375, OPS of .854.  These are not bad numbers for a guy making $335,000 a year.  And from the left side of the plate as well.  Scale that up and we'd be talking about a guy who could drive in nearly 100 runs with nearly 20 home runs, and those were his numbers basically as a rookie.

He has put up good numbers at AAA ball this year as well.

And he's never made an error in his MLB career at 1b (others have said he's very good over there).

For a backup option, he's certainly not a bad one...if he's healthy.  If he could run off a whole season with those numbers, he'd be better than anyone on my list of "who could we play there".  The shoulder is the whole key, IMO.

Gload as the backup first baseman is the ideal situation for the sox.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
Konerko is beyond arbitration, I believe.  However, if he left, I believe we could get a sandwich pick.

A player is never beyond arbitration. Maddux took the Braves offer to go to arbit his last year there, which shocked the Braves to death, he ended up getting something like $18 million that year.