Vlade divac retires...

:crying

BELGRADE (NBA) - Vlade Divac, one of most popular Serbo-Montenegrin basketball players of all time, has announced his retirement from the game.

The LA Lakers centre had been expected to delay his decision until September 30 but has now admitted defeat in his quest to recover from a back injury.

Divac had make public his intention to finish his career back in his homeland with Partizan Belgrade, the club he left to join the Lakers in 1989, but any hopes of an emotional return now appear to have been dashed.

The 37-year-old, who signed a extended contract with the Lakers last summer, underwent back surgery six months ago and played only 15 games last season, averaging just 2.3 points and 2.1 rebounds.

"My back is causing me a lot of problems," he admitted.

"At the moment I don't feel pain, but after four of five days of playing I feel it a lot.

"There is just a 50-50 chance for me to be fully recovered for the new season.

"As I don't want to become a disabled player, I think this is a right time for me to stop playing basketball.

He added: "I had talks with the club management but the final decision was left to me.

"I've had a wish for years to finish my career in Partizan, but my current health leaves almost no chance for me to play in Partizan or for the Lakers.

http://web.fiba.com/pages/en/news/latest_n...&r_cat=8&page=1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :crying Man, I have like 50 things signed by this guy. Such a great guy and a great Serbian. If you guys only knew half of what he does back home.... This is a great guy and he will be missed. It is very unfortunate that he ended his career in such an injury plagued note.