Harden = Perfect game?

Kyyle23

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 04:06 AM)
Harden is a stud he could win cy young as early as next year,as long as they dont trade him

Harden, when healthy, could be the best pitcher in baseball.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 04:11 AM)
Harden, when healthy, could be the best pitcher in baseball.

I'll buy Top 10, but even when he's 100% healthy, I don't think that he's better than these guys:

Pedro Martinez

Roy Halladay

Roger Clemens

Jake Peavy

Johan Santana

He's an elite pitcher, though. There's no question about it.

I don't care what Johan's ERA is at right now, I'll take him before Harden without blinking.

Don't look now, but Oakland is only 3 games back of Minnesota for the Wild Card, and 1.5 games back of Texas for second(though still 8 back of Anaheim). Going 27-11 over a stretch of 38 games with the offense finally catching some fire didn't hurt, did it?

Anyone can win with 3 aces, eh Hawk? :rolly

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Don't look now, but Oakland is only 3 games back of Minnesota for the Wild Card, and 1.5 games back of Texas for second(though still 8 back of Anaheim).  Going 27-11 over a stretch of 38 games with the offense finally catching some fire didn't hurt, did it?

Anyone can win with 3 aces, eh Hawk?  :rolly

I think you could argue that the A's have 3 aces these days: Harden, Zito, Duchsheruerhdher or whatever his name is.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 05:25 AM)
I think you could argue that the A's have 3 aces these days: Harden, Zito, Duchsheruerhdher or whatever his name is.

Umm... Duchscherer is a reliever.

He'll still probably say the same thing, just with Harden-Zito-Haren instead of Mulder-Zito-Hudson. And still won't give him any credit for acquiring/drafting the guys.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)

He'll still probably say the same thing, just with Harden-Zito-Haren instead of Mulder-Zito-Hudson.  And still won't give him any credit for acquiring/drafting the guys.

This of course not mentioning Blanton minus May...

5-4, 2.44 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, .89 HR/9, 4.56 K/9, 2 K/BB

Like I said...subtracting his awful May.

So maybe Hawk's argument will be that it's even easier to win with 4 aces.

(of course, need I mention how good Blanton would look right now in the White Sox system)

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)

He'll still probably say the same thing, just with Harden-Zito-Haren instead of Mulder-Zito-Hudson.  And still won't give him any credit for acquiring/drafting the guys.

Yeah, sorry, I got my pitchers mixed up. Haren and Blanton are both pretty solid, as well.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
This of course not mentioning Blanton minus May...

5-4, 2.44 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, .89 HR/9, 4.56 K/9, 2 K/BB

Like I said...subtracting his awful May.

So maybe Hawk's argument will be that it's even easier to win with 4 aces. 

(of course, need I mention how good Blanton would look right now in the White Sox system)

Wite, they're two games over .500 kind of where everyone expected them to be, it's not like they're ripping people apart. Well, actually right now they are but they're hot and after all is set and done they'll probably be a .500 team and miss the playoffs this year.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
Wite, they're a game over .500 kind of where everyone expected them to be, it's not like they're ripping people apart.  Well, actually right now they are but they're hot and after all is set and done they'll probably be a .500 team and miss the playoffs this year.

I don't think that's gonna happen at all.

The lineup is hot as hell right now, that's a given. But it was the worst in baseball early on. It will find a happy medium somewhere in between there, and be solid the rest of the year.

That pitching staff is unbelievable though. Rotation 1-5 is solid up and down, Calero and Rincon are both very solid middle relievers, and Duchscherer and Street are lights out.

What you seem to be suggesting to me is that a team can't find themselves at some point during the year and turn it around. However, it happens all the time. The Braves have done it numerous times over the years, the Marlins did it in the 03 season, the Astros last year, the Sox and Twins in 03(IIRC, they were the 2 best teams in atleast the AL in the second half of 2003), the Red Sox last year, and those are just off the top of my head without much research. The A's starting pitching finally started to pitch up to its potential, the bullpen has been strong all year, and the offense is clicking...why can't they continue at an 85-90 win pace? I see no reason why they can't, especially knowing teams under Beane of recent years, and how they have very strong second halves. They also completely manhandled the best team in the league, as the entire board is well aware of, so it's not like they are beating up on scrub teams.

I said it before the year started that either I thought they were going to win the West of that they were going to be a surprise team. I took s*** for it early on. I don't think I'm gonna be taking much more s*** for it. They are for real, and I see them taking the Wild Card, which would almost undoubtedly pair them with the Sox in the ALDS, due to the fact that no one in the East will probably win more than 95 games, unless they get carazy hot, and that would leave the A's with only one other team they can face.

Hella crazy test if the Sox wanna win it all, eh?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
I don't think that's gonna happen at all.

The lineup is hot as hell right now, that's a given.  But it was the worst in baseball early on.  It will find a happy medium somewhere in between there, and be solid the rest of the year.

That pitching staff is unbelievable though.  Rotation 1-5 is solid up and down, Calero and Rincon are both very solid middle relievers, and Duchscherer and Street are lights out.

What you seem to be suggesting to me is that a team can't find themselves at some point during the year and turn it around.  However, it happens all the time.  The Braves have done it numerous times over the years, the Marlins did it in the 03 season, the Astros last year, the Sox and Twins in 03(IIRC, they were the 2 best teams in atleast the AL in the second half of 2003), the Red Sox last year, and those are just off the top of my head without much research.  The A's starting pitching finally started to pitch up to its potential, the bullpen has been strong all year, and the offense is clicking...why can't they continue at an 85-90 win pace?  I see no reason why they can't, especially knowing teams under Beane of recent years, and how they have very strong second halves.  They also completely manhandled the best team in the league, as the entire board is well aware of, so it's not like they are beating up on scrub teams. 

I said it before the year started that either I thought they were going to win the West of that they were going to be a surprise team.  I took s*** for it early on.  I don't think I'm gonna be taking much more s*** for it.  They are for real, and I see them taking the Wild Card, which would almost undoubtedly pair them with the Sox in the ALDS, due to the fact that no one in the East will probably win more than 95 games, unless they get carazy hot, and that would leave the A's with only one other team they can face.

Hella crazy test if the Sox wanna win it all, eh?

Of course a team can find itself but right now Oakland's just riding a hot streak even if they are a good team, what they've done the last couple weeks is just ridiculous. I think they're right around a .500 team this year, they do have a nice core for the next few years but we'll see how that works. By the way I did pitck them to finish 2nd in that division so I thought they were going to be decent. I'd make a friendly bet on them winning the wild card, I'll take the Twins and you can have them. IMO they aren't getting in, they'll finish around 82-85 wins but that's jmo.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:08 AM)
Of course a team can find itself but right now Oakland's just riding a hot streak even if they are a good team, what they've done the last couple weeks is just ridiculous.  I think they're right around a .500 team this year, they do have a nice core for the next few years but we'll see how that works.  By the way I did pitck them to finish 2nd in that division so I thought they were going to be decent.  I'd make a friendly bet on them winning the wild card, I'll take the Twins and you can have them.  IMO they aren't getting in, they'll finish around 82-85 wins but that's jmo.

Friendly bet is cool, since I already have the sig bet with qwerty.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
What was your sig bet with him?  Cause he's definitely going to lose the one I had with him.

I don't remember if him and I ever agreed on one, but we kept talking and I said the Sox bullpen was one of the best and he disagreed. I remember saying it would be in the 3's.

I think yours was similar right Rowand? Of course qwerty and I never did agree to terms. Plus there is a lot of season left.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
I don't remember if him and I ever agreed on one, but we kept talking and I said the Sox bullpen was one of the best and he disagreed.  I remember saying it would be in the 3's. 

I think yours was similar right Rowand?  Of course qwerty and I never did agree to terms.  Plus there is a lot of season left.

When Neal's era was around or over 7 at the beginning of the season and Sox R Us started that thread bashing Neal, I said I'd be anyone that Neal would finish the season with an era under 4 and qwerty took me up on the offer.

EDIT: There's obviously still a ton of time left but I've always had a ton of faith in Neal so in my mind there is no way he gets his era above 4 by the end of the season.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:25 AM)
Didn't everyone say where are the Dodger haters now a few months ago? They turned out to be right. Maybe Oakland skeptics will still be right. THey lack right-handed thunder

They are susceptible to good LHP is what I assume you are getting it.

Of course, that has not stopped them one bit from hammering Buehrle this year. Given, that could just be coincidence, or they could just have Buehrle's number.

There is also much more strong RHP in the league than LHP. That bodes well for them even if they are susceptible to good LHP.

They very well could finish just above .500. The Sox 2001 team started out horrendously, something like 14-29, and they finished the season with 83 wins. I could see Oakland doing that. I also think this Oakland team is far superior to the 2001 Sox team, so that's one reason I make the argument I am making.

Oh and for the record, the sig bet between me and qwerty is what Aaron and Hermanson do this year. He said Hermanson would finish with an ERA of 4.25 or higher, and that Aaron would not hit .270(though he will tell you that he said Aaron will hit in the .270s :D ). I got one of those practically in the bag, so let's just hope Aaron puts up a second half similar to last year. :cheers

Edited by witesoxfan