We are Stuck With Willie&Timo

Winnin Ugly

Ross Gload will remain at Triple-A Charlotte for now, thanks to the emergence of Timo Perez as a valuable left-handed pinch-hitter and the recent three-day All-Star break.

The Sox postponed activating Gload, a left-handed-hitting first baseman-outfielder, because Perez finished the first half 6-for-10, including a pair of pinch-hit doubles.

Manager Ozzie Guillen also believes the recent break gave first baseman Paul Konerko a rest, although Konerko played in Tuesday's All-Star Game as a reserve.

"When we feel it's time to get help, I think we will," Guillen said Thursday. "It's not easy to make that decision, but right now we just want to go with what we have.

"There are a couple Latin kids who look up to Timo, and all of a sudden Timo has a job (pinch-hitting) that's not easy to do. His average (.250) isn't like it was last year, but Timo had more at-bats last year. Timo can play all three outfield positions and pinch-hit."

Guillen acknowledged third baseman Joe Crede's lower back problems played a role in retaining infielder Willie Harris, who has a minor-league option.

Gload's rehab assignment is scheduled to end Monday.

This article makes me sick. I was feeling pretty content with all things Sox tonight, but some of the stuff said in this article is a bunch of crap to me. Combined with the article on Crede's disc problem, and I think it's integral that KW finds a back-up 3b. Ozuna is flat out not an option at 3b.

Here's my last thought on this issue: We have two players on our team that can play a competent 3rd base in Crede and Uribe. Ozzie has shown no desire to move Uribe to 3rd base, and let Ozuna play SS. Thus, when you have a guy with a back injury like Crede that likely won't completely heal this season, it's imperative you have a competent back-up at the position to give Crede a rest.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Ross Gload will remain at Triple-A Charlotte for now, thanks to the emergence of Timo Perez as a valuable left-handed pinch-hitter and the recent three-day All-Star break.

The Sox postponed activating Gload, a left-handed-hitting first baseman-outfielder, because Perez finished the first half 6-for-10, including a pair of pinch-hit doubles.

Manager Ozzie Guillen also believes the recent break gave first baseman Paul Konerko a rest, although Konerko played in Tuesday's All-Star Game as a reserve.

"When we feel it's time to get help, I think we will," Guillen said Thursday. "It's not easy to make that decision, but right now we just want to go with what we have.

"There are a couple Latin kids who look up to Timo, and all of a sudden Timo has a job (pinch-hitting) that's not easy to do. His average (.250) isn't like it was last year, but Timo had more at-bats last year. Timo can play all three outfield positions and pinch-hit."

Guillen acknowledged third baseman Joe Crede's lower back problems played a role in retaining infielder Willie Harris, who has a minor-league option.

Gload's rehab assignment is scheduled to end Monday.

What a dumb f***ing move. Willie sucks. I can live with Ozzie keeping his boyfriend and all. But bring Gload up. The guy is raking in AAA and played a good first base for us last year. He is a natural line drive hitter who hits the ball to all fields. He is exactly what we need on this team right now. I understand if our offense was doing good, but after watching our offense get shut down tonight and we get bailed out by our pitching again, its time to get a pure hitter up here. Someone who isnt going to swing for the fences. I am sickened by this article.

Now what happens on Monday when Gload is done with his rehab assignment. Do they put him on waivers because of manlove for Timo or the reluctance to send Willie down. If they put him on waivers someone will snatch him. If Crede is this hurt put his ass on the DL and bring someone up or trade and get someone. This is silly that we will possibly lose a good hitter because of this crap. Maybe Gload should change his name to Gloadriguez.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
What a dumb f***ing move.  Willie sucks.  I can live with Ozzie keeping his boyfriend and all.  But bring Gload up.  The guy is raking in AAA and played a good first base for us last year.  He is a natural line drive hitter who hits the ball to all fields.  He is exactly what we need on this team right now.  I understand if our offense was doing good, but after watching our offense get shut down tonight and we get bailed out by our pitching again, its time to get a pure hitter up here.  Someone who isnt going to swing for the fences.  I am sickened by this article.

Now what happens on Monday when Gload is done with his rehab assignment.  Do they put him on waivers because of manlove for Timo or the reluctance to send Willie down.  If they put him on waivers someone will snatch him.  If Crede is this hurt put his ass on the DL and bring someone up or trade and get someone.  This is silly that we will possibly lose a good hitter because of this crap.  Maybe Gload should change his name to Gloadriguez.

If they put G-Load on waivers in order to hang onto Willie and Timo I'm gonna just snap. That would be a dumbass move on par with turning down Clemens to sign Navarro instead.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
Timo was the only one in the Oakland series to do his job.

No, I was there and a beer vendor made sure my beers were coming when i needed them. Timo gets 6 out of 10 and he turns a corner!!! He still can't field and even after 6 out of 10 is only batting 250 in 80 ab. "Willie don't fail us now Harris" is failing us now. Konerko could do a lot better fielding and hitting. Gload is a better fielding 1B more range is faster getting to the ball. Gload won't have his HR totals but would be more consitent and can run a helluva lot better on the basepaths. Aren't we suppose to be playing small ball or did I miss something. :headshake

Yeah. So far every stupid move Kenny and Ozzie have made has worked out. Why not this one?

BTW, it wasn't until this article I noticed all our All-Stars are white. So maybe Gload could be their translator.

It would be so cool if we could create a Timo Harris. The incredible sucking vortex of that would consume light like a black hole.

And one final thought. This team is living on chemistry as much as talent. Perhaps management knows a few things here that would have this make sense. It isn't necessarily having the best 25 out of 25. Maybe having the best 25 out of 30 and having teamwork excel is making a difference.

ok, first of all, the guy who suggested that gload is in the minors cuz he aint latino is just dumb. first sheffield accuses managers of having only white reserve players, now someone accuses guillen of only having latinos. that is just stupid. especially because guillen if you paid attention at all last year, absolutely loves ross gload. to me, its my personaly opinion that ross will be on the team at some point, and i think they are holding him in AAA because there is a trade in teh works. if not, then its gload vs. timo vs. willie and you have to look at what each player brings to the table. gload has the best power, willie speed, and timo clutch hitting. its a tough call, in my opinion willies lack of bunting ability really hurts him, but man after watching dave roberts in the playoffs last year i feel like we need a guy off the bench simply to run and grab a base if thomas gets on or something. maybe ozuna can do that too, but i just dont trust him as much. its a tough call, im glad i dont have to make

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 06:40 AM)
ok, first of all, the guy who suggested that gload is in the minors cuz he aint latino is just dumb. first sheffield accuses managers of having only white reserve players, now someone accuses guillen of only having latinos. that is just stupid. especially because guillen if you paid attention at all last year, absolutely loves ross gload. to me, its my personaly opinion that ross will be on the team at some point, and i think they are holding him in AAA because there is a trade in teh works. if not, then its gload vs. timo vs. willie and you have to look at what each player brings to the table. gload has the best power, willie speed, and timo clutch hitting. its a tough call, in my opinion willies lack of bunting ability really hurts him, but man after watching dave roberts in the playoffs last year i feel like we need a guy off the bench simply to run and grab a base if thomas gets on or something. maybe ozuna can do that too, but i just dont trust him as much. its a tough call, im glad i dont have to make

ok nevermind. i just read in the article from chisox that guillen likes timo on teh bench because he is latin and adds to the chemistry that way. so i was dead off. my apologies. i still think when this is done with that gload will be on teh team

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
Well, this article can be summed up like this:  If Gload was a latino player, he'd be on this team.  Everyone knows that Timo is basically Uribe's translator.  It's not like we're a team loaded with young latin players.

I thought Ozwald Jr. was the translator. Timo spelled backwards is "omit" which is what he should be on the roster.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
Here's my last thought on this issue:  We have two players on our team that can play a competent 3rd base in Crede and Uribe.  Ozzie has shown no desire to move Uribe to 3rd base, and let Ozuna play SS.  Thus, when you have a guy with a back injury like Crede that likely won't completely heal this season, it's imperative you have a competent back-up at the position to give Crede a rest.

Why would you move your starting shortstop to a position he hasn't played all year and weaken the defense at two positions instead of one?

Why would you move your starting shortstop to a position he hasn't played all year and weaken the defense at two positions instead of one?

Good point.

What they need to do is improve the bench, get a guy who can play 3B and 2B, and let Ozuna be the backup SS, pinch runner, etc. Would love to see them pry Freel from the Reds, this is one topic where you know who and I agree.