We are Stuck With Willie&Timo

Winnin Ugly

IMO we won't see Gload until the September call ups when the expand the rosters. Ozzie seems to be affraid to tamper w/ team chemistry, i can't really blaim him- but i'd much rather have Gload come in to pinch hit rather than Timo. Gload can also give Pauly a breather every now and then. But as of now- it looks like if Pauly needs a day off- Dye will play 1B and Everett will play RF. I'm not going to complain- as long as we keep on winning.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 06:06 AM)
Yeah. So far every stupid move Kenny and Ozzie have made has worked out. Why not this one?

BTW, it wasn't until this article I noticed all our All-Stars are white. So maybe Gload could be their translator.

It would be so cool if we could create a Timo Harris. The incredible sucking vortex of that would consume light like a black hole.

And one final thought. This team is living on chemistry as much as talent. Perhaps management knows a few things here that would have this make sense. It isn't necessarily having the best 25 out of 25. Maybe having the best 25 out of 30 and having teamwork excel is making a difference.

I hightly doubt that Willie is part of the teams chemistry.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
C'mon, nobody is really surprised by this, are you?

Somebody clearly doesn't like Gload.  That, or he really keeps to himself and neither hurts nor adds to the chemistry.

Perhaps they're going to trade Willie at some point soon?  Those are the only reasons I can come up with.

It was said months ago that Gload probably wouldn't be able to play the OF all year because of his shoulder problems. Ozzie has also said that he wants someone who can play the OF. And after watching Dye serve as a decent backup in limited action, it made sense that Gload really wasn't needed.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
It was said months ago that Gload probably wouldn't be able to play the OF all year because of his shoulder problems.  Ozzie has also said that he wants someone who can play the OF.  And after watching Dye serve as a decent backup in limited action, it made sense that Gload really wasn't needed.

Who needs a lefty line drive all field hitting actual backup first baseman. Our team is filled with guys who make contact over swinging for the fence

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
It was said months ago that Gload probably wouldn't be able to play the OF all year because of his shoulder problems.  Ozzie has also said that he wants someone who can play the OF.  And after watching Dye serve as a decent backup in limited action, it made sense that Gload really wasn't needed.

1 game a decent backup does not make

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)

Dye, Rowand, Pods, Everett, Timo, and Harris/Ozuna (to an extent) can play the OF or have shown that they are passable out there. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why we need Gload to be able to play the OF. It makes me just think that somebody doens't like Ross.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
Dye, Rowand, Pods, Everett, Timo, and Harris/Ozuna (to an extent) can play the OF or have shown that they are passable out there.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out why we need Gload to be able to play the OF.  It makes me just think that somebody doens't like Ross.

Why bring a guy up who can only play one position so he can play like once every two weeks? Konerko is going to play almost everyday, so needing him at 1B is a joke. All he can do is PH and play 1B. He can't run, he can't throw, and he can't play the OF. Just from a utilitarians point of view, Gload isn't nearly as helpful as some other guys.

I have to laugh that everytime someone doesn't get called up, someone hates them. We need to get a tinfoil hat smilie.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Why bring a guy up who can only play one position so he can play like once every two weeks?  Konerko is going to play almost everyday, so needing him at 1B is a joke.  All he can do is PH and play 1B.  He can't run, he can't throw, and he can't play the OF.  Just from a utilitarians point of view, Gload isn't nearly as helpful as some other guys.

I have to laugh that everytime someone doesn't get called up, someone hates them.  We need to get a tinfoil hat smilie.

Gload can be used once a week to spell Konerko. In a late inning, he can pinch run for Konerko. He's not fast, but he's probably twice as fast as Konerko and can score from 2nd on a base hit. He can come in later as a defensive back-up because he's a great defender. We could also use a PH like Gload.

Who needs a lefty line drive all field hitting actual backup first baseman.  Our team is filled with guys who make contact over swinging for the fence

Wow, this board overestimates Ross Gload.

He had his best month last year in garbage time, Sept., after the Sox were toast.

As for being a contact hitter, he strikes out his fair share, 56 times in 309 AB's. If he hadn't gone on a tear in Sept. last year, this board would have him in the "he sucks" bin along with Timo and Harris. He is not the spray contact hitter that he's made out to be here. Decent as a reserve, yes, and certainly as a defensive replacement.

What's needed is better bench guys, preferably those who can play multiple positions. Not a knock at Ross Gload, but especially this year they should set their sights a bit higher.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
Gload can be used once a week to spell Konerko.  In a late inning, he can pinch run for Konerko.  He's not fast, but he's probably twice as fast as Konerko and can score from 2nd on a base hit.  He can come in later as a defensive back-up because he's a great defender.  We could also use a PH like Gload.

Konerko isn't going to sit once a week. Probably closer to once a month.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
IMO we won't see Gload until the September call ups when the expand the rosters. Ozzie seems to be affraid to tamper w/ team chemistry, i can't really blaim him-

I don't think Gload would really ruin any chemistry. He played with these guys in Spring Training and at the beginning of the year.

It just doesn't make sense that they have Deadweight Willie on the bench.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
I don't think Gload would really ruin any chemistry.  He played with these guys in Spring Training and at the beginning of the year.

It just doesn't make sense that they have Deadweight Willie on the bench.

I haven't heard a bad word said about Gload ever. Right now he just doesn't fit into what the team needs, he is way to one dimensional with the shoulder injury.

I don't get it. Ozzie says that Gload isn't versataile (sp?) enough 'cause he can only play one position right now. Yet, how many more positions can Timo or Harris play?

Ozzie is quoted as saying Timo can play all three OF positions. Yet, when was the last time Timo played CF? Certainly not this year, right? He plays two positions -- two positions where we have a ton of depth.

LF -- Podsednik, Rowand, Everett, Ozuna

CF -- Rowand, Podsednik, Harris

RF -- Dye, Everett, Ozuna

If Ozzie really believes that Timo's clubhouse presence and ability to play three (not really -- two) positions in the outfield, or Harris' slick-fielding secondbase skills and speed off the bench, is more important than Gload's hitting ability alone (.294/.349/.443) career line -- well, then I'm really questioning his judgement.

Okay, a dumb question here. What kind of injury does Gload have, exactly? The Sox want him to recover so he can play the outfield. Okay -- so why is he playing at all? What sort of injury recovers better through playing 1b than through rest?

Obviously there's less risk of injury at first (he reinjured himself on a throw, right?) -- but you'd think the risk would still be pretty high. Still gotta make cutoff plays, etc.