Crede's health

tonyho7476

This was on the White Sox website....makes me nervous...If he goes down, we be f***ed...

07/14/2005 9:45 PM ET

Crede will try to play through pain

Third baseman has two herniated discs in his back

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CLEVELAND -- Joe Crede's threshold for pain could dictate how much he contributes during the second half of what the White Sox hope will be a championship season.

The White Sox third baseman was diagnosed with two herniated discs in his lower back this past weekend in Chicago. Crede did not start three of the last four games because of that back pain, although he was back in the lineup to begin the second half on Thursday night at Jacobs Field.

Crede received a cortisone shot for the ailment on Sunday, and he is using anti-inflammatory medication to reduce the pain. But getting the three days off with the All-Star break appears to be just what the doctor ordered for Crede, who said that he felt 100 percent after taking batting practice on Thursday afternoon.

"They are confident they can keep the pain down to a minimum," Crede said. "The bottom line is whether I can deal with the pain throughout the year.

"It will be a dull ache the rest of the year. Today, it feels really good."

With the uncertainty surrounding Crede, it appears as if Ross Gload comes up short in the temporary battle for the final roster spot. When his Minor League rehab assignment ends at the start of next week, the left-handed hitting first baseman/outfielder most likely will be reassigned to Triple-A Charlotte.

Prior to the six-game homestand leading up to the All-Star break, Gload looked as if he would take Timo Perez's slot. But Jermaine Dye proved to be a capable defensive replacement at first base for Paul Konerko, on a short-term basis, and Perez exhibited his value with three hits on Friday against the A's and the game-tying double in the ninth inning of Sunday's extra-inning loss.

Ozzie Guillen also likes Perez's presence amongst the younger Latin players in the White Sox clubhouse. Willie Harris would have been next in line for reassignment, but the team can't take a chance to go with Pablo Ozuna as the lone utility infielder because of Crede's precarious back.

"I need the extra infielder right now, especially because we don't know exactly where Crede is," Guillen said. "Joe can be sore; [he] can be tight.

"When you have back problems, you can get tight from one inning to another," Guillen added.

Crede pointed to the last game of a three-game series in Oakland, on July 3, as the point when his back problem started to become noticeable. The back was painful enough during the Fourth of July game against Tampa Bay that he was forced to sit out the final two games of the series.

X-rays didn't originally show the herniated discs, but an ensuing MRI turned up the damage. Athletic trainer Herm Schneider informed Crede that players have lasted 10 to 15 years in the game, even with disc problems.

There was little worry about that situation on Thursday, with Crede ready for action. But the White Sox need Crede's glove at third and his production from the bottom of the order. Unfortunately, they can't give him three days off to recover, as the All-Star break afforded.

"It's not something rare or that they haven't seen before," Crede said.

"I think he's ready to play," added Guillen, who battled back pain during his career. "Hopefully -- we'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully he'll stay up on the treatment. You have to learn how to deal with the pain. When the pain is where you can't tolerate it anymore, you just can't."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Crede can be replaced. As good as his defense is, we have capable stopgaps. The solution is this simple. Uribe to 3B, Ozuna at SS. Done and done.

Ozuna cannot be any worse offensively than Crede, and Ozuna has speed.

I'm nearly tired of Crede.

As a matter of fact, call me negative, but Crede Schmede.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 07:49 AM)
Crede can be replaced.  As good as his defense is, we have capable stopgaps.  The solution is this simple.  Uribe to 3B, Ozuna at SS.  Done and done.

I've had my anti-Crede moments...until this past weekend when Ozuna botched the ball out there and I realized how important Crede's Defense is...

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
Crede can be replaced.  As good as his defense is, we have capable stopgaps.  The solution is this simple.  Uribe to 3B, Ozuna at SS.  Done and done.

If this was the solution then why didn't Ozzie do this when we played Oakland. Ozuna lost a couple of games against Oakland all by himself with his poor defense. We need Crede at 3B unless we can get Mike Lowell, Edgardo Alfonso, or Joe Randa.

Ozzie played Ozuna at 3rd, I said play him at SS, which is his natural position.

Uribe has shown he can play 3rd, while Ozuna has shown he cannot.

I didn't say it was the best solution, but it IS a solution...Crede's defense is great...but we need him to pick up a bat that doesn't have holes as big as a baseball drilled into the barrell. :D

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 07:47 AM)
If this was the solution then why didn't Ozzie do this when we played Oakland. Ozuna lost a couple of games against Oakland all by himself with his poor defense. We need Crede at 3B unless we can get Mike Lowell, Edgardo Alfonso, or Joe Randa.

It's when a CD/DVD has a hernia. :D

Seriously though, I beleive it's when discs in your back are slightly jutting out, which put pressure on your spine, which can cause numbness in limbs, etc.

Though I'm not a Doctor, so I may be a little off on that...but I believe that's right.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 07:58 AM)
What the hell is a herniated disc anyway.....

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)

Seriously though, I beleive it's when discs in your back are slightly jutting out, which put pressure on your spine, which can cause numbness in limbs, etc.

Though I'm not a Doctor, so I may be a little off on that...but I believe that's right.

thanks.....I always thought you couldn't do anything with a hernia

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 07:45 AM)
This was on the White Sox website....makes me nervous...If he goes down, we be f***ed...

You're kidding right? Of all our starters, I'd say his going down is the least of my worries.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)

Noun 1. herniated disc - a painful rupture of the fibrocartilage of the disc between spinal vertebrae; occurs most often in the lumbar region

When the soft part between bones in the spine presses on the nerves around the backbone, it's called a herniated disk. The word "herniate" (say: her-nee-ate) means to bulge or to stick out. Sometimes this is called a ruptured disk.

Herniated disks are most common in the lumbar spine--the part of your backbone between the bottom of your ribs and your hips. Disks are soft "cushions" between the bones of the spine. The spine holds up your body. It also protects your spinal cord and nerves. The disks in the spine let you move your backbone.

Edited by kyyle23

I have one slightly herniated disc. Nothing in an emergency to get fixed. If I sleep in a weird position it will ache, if I take a decent hit in basketball or something, it bugs me, and while lifting sometimes I screw up and sightly move my back and it bugs me. I only have one and it is not that bad, can't imagine what Crede has. Probably cut into his power.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
You're kidding right?  Of all our starters, I'd say his going down is the least of my worries.

Did you watch the Oakland series?

If Crede goes down, as much as his name doesn't excite me, Randa should be here the next day.

So I was pretty close then.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)
Noun 1. herniated disc - a painful rupture of the fibrocartilage of the disc between spinal vertebrae; occurs most often in the lumbar region

When the soft part between bones in the spine presses on the nerves around the backbone, it's called a herniated disk. The word "herniate" (say: her-nee-ate) means to bulge or to stick out. Sometimes this is called a ruptured disk.

Herniated disks are most common in the lumbar spine--the part of your backbone between the bottom of your ribs and your hips. Disks are soft "cushions" between the bones of the spine.  The spine holds up your body. It also protects your spinal cord and nerves. The disks in the spine let you move your backbone.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 06:49 AM)

A huge component of Sox's winning is its defense. Whether you like Crede or not, it's best to have Crede manning his 3B post. I feel much safer with him being there.

But if his back is going to give him continuous problems, it's time for KW to trade for Randa or Vizquel.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:26 AM)
A huge component of Sox's winning is its defense.  Whether you like Crede or not, it's best to have Crede manning his 3B post.  I feel much safer with him being there.

But if his back is going to give him continuous problems, it's time for KW to trade for Randa or Vizquel.

with as many close games as this team plays, we NEED Crede's glove, and Uribe just won't do over there. we saw what happens when Ozuna plays 3B, so just think how many games we would have lost (not just how many runs would have scored) had Crede not made plays on those balls, keeping the inning going.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
with as many close games as this team plays, we NEED Crede's glove, and Uribe just won't do over there.  we saw what happens when Ozuna plays 3B, so just think how many games we would have lost (not just how many runs would have scored) had Crede not made plays on those balls, keeping the inning going.

It's not like Randa is a 12-year-old girl out there at 3B. He can play the position. Maybe not as well as Crede, but he can sure do it much better than Uribe or Ozuna. Crede is anywhere from a little better defensively to a little worse than Randa. It's not a big gap at all. And Randa's bat >>>> Crede's bat.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
What the hell is a herniated disc anyway.....

In between your vertabrea are small, gel filled disks. Think of them as shock absorbers for your spine. With compression, they can either shift out of place or if the gel is pressed out, they go flat. When they shift out of place, they can touch up against a long line of nerve endings that run up and down your back and it HURTS LIKE HELL. I have one that flares up all the time. You learn what to do and what not to do to live with it. I can't imagine being a pro athlete with one.

Crede is in trouble. They will have to shoot him up the rest of this year and if he's smart he'll go under the knife in the off season.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
I was thinking the same thing. If there was ever a time for Randa, it's now.

I don't think KW is going to bring in Randa because of this. He will check out Crede and see how the cortisone shots are working (I believe you can only have 3 a season, supposedly) and if he's swinging alright. If not, I'm sensing one of those waiver deals after the trade deadline. Don't know who, but that's my pseudo-GM guess.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
I don't think KW is going to bring in Randa because of this.  He will check out Crede and see how the cortisone shots are working (I believe you can only have 3 a season, supposedly) and if he's swinging alright.  If not, I'm sensing one of those waiver deals after the trade deadline.  Don't know who, but that's my pseudo-GM guess.

You can't risk it. That many forceful baseball swings in 1 day are very hard on the back and could harm the disks even more. If he continues without it being fixed, it can turn into 1) a long-term problem or 2) get worse.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
I don't think KW is going to bring in Randa because of this.  He will check out Crede and see how the cortisone shots are working (I believe you can only have 3 a season, supposedly) and if he's swinging alright.  If not, I'm sensing one of those waiver deals after the trade deadline.  Don't know who, but that's my pseudo-GM guess.

If there is 3 shot per season limit, he's f***ed. It depends on the severity of his situation. There are a lot of terms for the same disk injury; herniated, slipped, proplasped, bulging, inflamed etc. Maybe it's not severe since they were unable to see it right away. I know on my MRI it was crystal clear.