Best UTL guy Available?

beck72

Pablo Ozuna is a decent UTL guy. But with Joe Crede having 2 herniated discs in his back, someone who could possibly take over 3b on a semi-regular basis [say a 3 week stretch that Joe could rest his back], who would be a definite upgrade over Ozuna would be needed for the sox in the playoffs.

If Joe's back keeps him out for the playoffs, I want someone who could take over at 3B. If Joe's back is OK, the UTL would have to pay elsewhere as well. He should be a good glove, handle the bat well [bunt, move runners over] and either have a good avg or high OBP; also play multiple positions.

Thoughts on who? The usual suspects--Mackowiak, Cintron? Others? No big names here. Just plausible UTL guys.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the sounds of it, Crede won't spend time on the DL; rather, he'll just suffer some streaks of pain lasting up to one week at a time, but then play nearly 100% for another week or so.

I don't think the answer can come from within the organization, but if we are just looking for a veteran player to spell Crede while he is having flare-ups, I think Greg Norton should get looked at. He's not having a GREAT year in AAA, but he plays a nice 3B and has put up some nice offensive numbers.

Personally, I think you leave Crede be and just look for someone--perhaps from within the organization--to compliment him without crippling the Sox via a trade.

Just some thoughts, don't know how available they are:

David Bell - Philly

Ryan Freel - Cincy

Eric Hinske - Toronto

Mike Lamb - Houston

David Bell can play some second.

Freel can play 2nd, 3rd and OF

Hinske and Lamb can play 1st and 3rd.

From the sounds of it, Crede won't spend time on the DL; rather, he'll just suffer some streaks of pain lasting up to one week at a time, but then play nearly 100% for another week or so.

I don't think the answer can come from within the organization, but if we are just looking for a veteran player to spell Crede while he is having flare-ups, I think Greg Norton should get looked at.  He's not having a GREAT year in AAA, but he plays a nice 3B and has put up some nice offensive numbers.

Personally, I think you leave Crede be and just look for someone--perhaps from within the organization--to compliment him without crippling the Sox via a trade.

Ian, Greg Norton is gawdawful at 3B. Every one of his throws is an adventure.

They need a guy who can play multiple positions and can capably play 3rd, and if Crede pretty much stays healthy, a guy who can contribute in other spots.

Graffanino jumps out at everybody but I will keep banging this drum: KW said to rule out any trades within the AL Central, and further the Sox and Royals have not made a deal since 1987. I do not see this happening, but stranger things ...

Cintron is a fit, Ryan Freel is the best fit. Freel adds speed, a great OBP, and can play multiple positions, including a serviceable 3B. Meaning, he can big time help in other areas should Crede remain healthy.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
Ian, Greg Norton is gawdawful at 3B.  Every one of his throws is an adventure.

They need a guy who can play multiple positions and can capably play 3rd, and if Crede pretty much stays healthy, a guy who can contribute in other spots.

Graffanino jumps out at everybody but I will keep banging this drum:  KW said to rule out any trades within the AL Central, and further the Sox and Royals have not made a deal since 1987.  I do not see this happening, but stranger things ...

Cintron is a fit, Ryan Freel is the best fit.  Freel adds speed, a great OBP, and can play multiple positions, including a serviceable 3B.  Meaning, he can big time help in other areas should Crede remain healthy.

One of those situations I'll certainly take your word on it. My memories of "Nah-ten" are mostly of the 2000 season where he had 7 errors. I still think the guy can hit MLB pitching though.

As for Freel, I wonder what the Reds would be asking. If he has gotten his off-the-field situation under control, he would be a very valuable asset to a pennant-run. As you've already stated, he has excellent speed (he may actually beat Podsednik in a straight race), a very impressive OBP and is verstile--something Ozzie LOVES.

...things are going to get mightttttttttty interesting over the next week or two.

If Omar Vizquel is available, how about him? Uribe could go back to the role where he flourished last season. Omar is getting up there in age, so he would need a breather. Crede probably will need a lot of time off, and Iguchi could rest every now and then. The contract for Vizquel is the turn off. They didn't want to give him an extra year last winter, or he would be with the White Sox and Iguchi would probably not. But IIRC, the difference in the total package SF gave him vs. the White Sox is less than $3 million so maybe they would now be willing to roll the dice, considering $2 million of that contract has already been paid and Omar is playing well. Ozuna could move into Harris' role, and when Uribe is spelling Omar, Vizquel could come in late in the game and steal a base or actually get a bunt down. Ozuna could have Harris' current role. Bad backs concern me, because they usually become chronic.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
One of those situations I'll certainly take your word on it.  My memories of "Nah-ten" are mostly of the 2000 season where he had 7 errors.  I still think the guy can hit MLB pitching though.

As for Freel, I wonder what the Reds would be asking.  If he has gotten his off-the-field situation under control, he would be a very valuable asset to a pennant-run.  As you've already stated, he has excellent speed (he may actually beat Podsednik in a straight race), a very  impressive OBP and is verstile--something Ozzie LOVES.

...things are going to get mightttttttttty interesting over the next week or two.

??????????????

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
If Omar Vizquel is available, how about him? Uribe could go back to the role where he flourished last season. Omar is getting up there in age, so he would need a breather. Crede probably will need a lot of time off, and Iguchi could rest every now and then. The contract for Vizquel is the turn off. They didn't want to give him an extra year last winter, or he would be with the White Sox and Iguchi would probably not. But IIRC, the difference in the total package SF gave him vs. the White Sox is less than $3 million so maybe they would now be willing to roll the dice, considering $2 million of that contract has already been paid and Omar is playing well. Ozuna could move into Harris' role, and when Uribe is spelling Omar, Vizquel could come in late in the game and steal a base or actually get a bunt down. Ozuna could have Harris' current role. Bad backs concern me, because they usually become chronic.

Keep your eye on Vizquel, Richie. Now that the pennant seems like a reality, you may see Kenny be able to convince JR and company to take on the bad contract if it means improving the IF, especially with Crede now a question mark.

Could this Crede thing be a blessing in disguise? If Crede's back situation is as serious as it sounds, Vizquel would be an absolutely perfect choice.

Kenny was in love with him during the off-season, I find it hard to believe he won't go after him or at least think his direction now.

Actually, I think the first move made may be for Vizquel or a Vizquel-type middle infielder.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
Pablo Ozuna is a decent UTL guy. But with Joe Crede having 2 herniated discs in his back, someone who could possibly take over 3b on a semi-regular basis [say a 3 week stretch that Joe could rest his back], who would be a definite upgrade over Ozuna would be needed for the sox in the playoffs.

If Joe's back keeps him out for the playoffs, I want someone who could take over at 3B. If Joe's back is OK, the UTL would have to pay elsewhere as well. He should be a good glove, handle the bat well [bunt, move runners over] and either have a good avg or high OBP; also play multiple positions.

Thoughts on who? The usual suspects--Mackowiak, Cintron? Others? No big names here. Just plausible UTL guys.

Juan Uribe....trade for Omar Vizuqel and then you would have the best utility guy in baseball in Juan.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)

:notworthy

I'm with ya on this Dick. Been preaching it for the past few days. I want Vizquel badly and it makes so much sense considering how it moves Uribe to a super platoon position. He'll get plenty of Ab's playing 3rd twice a week, SS once a week and 2nd once a week or so. It will also keep Crede, Vizquel, and Iguchi fresh and at the same time if Crede goes down you can plug in Uribe as the starter.

:notworthy

I'm with ya on this Dick.  Been preaching it for the past few days.  I want Vizquel badly and it makes so much sense considering how it moves Uribe to a super platoon position.  He'll get plenty of Ab's playing 3rd twice a week, SS once a week and 2nd once a week or so.  It will also keep Crede, Vizquel, and Iguchi fresh and at the same time if Crede goes down you can plug in Uribe as the starter.

Yes it does make sense, no doubt.