Best UTL guy Available?

beck72

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony G would be welcomed back here with opened arms. I remember hearing how he was one of JR's favorite players. But since he's on the Royals, it'll be tough.

Carmen & Silvy this morning were talking about him this morning too as insurance for Crede. They also how he may have a falling out with KW. Don't remember ever hearing about that.

Also, since Crede is a injury risk, Gload won't be brought up anytime soon and everyone's favorite player - Willie Harris will remain with the team for now.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
Cintron is a fit, Ryan Freel is the best fit.  Freel adds speed, a great OBP, and can play multiple positions, including a serviceable 3B.  Meaning, he can big time help in other areas should Crede remain healthy.

Best case scenario is Crede rests a little with a very serviceable guy is brought in. So the sox keep his great glove and have someone else who plays a solid 3b and hopefully a different look batting wise [like a LH bat, some good OBP skills, contact hitter, etc]

I have no doubt an upgrade over Ozuna will be found. With both uribe and Joe question marks [joe health wise and Juan stick wise], someone who can play both would be best.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
Juan Uribe....trade for Omar Vizuqel and then you would have the best utility guy in baseball in Juan.

I'd be very happy with a bench guy like Uribe, as long as a SS like Vizquel could be had.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
:notworthy

I'm with ya on this Dick.  Been preaching it for the past few days.  I want Vizquel badly and it makes so much sense considering how it moves Uribe to a super platoon position.  He'll get plenty of Ab's playing 3rd twice a week, SS once a week and 2nd once a week or so.  It will also keep Crede, Vizquel, and Iguchi fresh and at the same time if Crede goes down you can plug in Uribe as the starter.

the only question is how do you get vizquel w/o giving up Uribe? A straight up trade leaves the sox in the same position, w/ ozuna at 3B? W/o getting a SS, SF won't give up Vizquel.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
Here Here...Bring Back TONY!  He would be absolutely perfect.

He wants to start. Thats why he left Chicago. They were actually talking about Tony on ESPN1000 in the morning but they said that he left the team on bad terms with KW. Doesnt look like that would happen.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
He wants to start.  Thats why he left Chicago.  They were actually talking about Tony on ESPN1000 in the morning but they said that he left the team on bad terms with KW.  Doesnt look like that would happen.

Well with Teahen and Gotay on KC, Tony won't get a chance to start regularly either.

One guy thats impressive that is NOT available is Chase Utley. I have him on my fantasy team and he plays on the Phillies. Sort of a breakout player this year. Anyway, he plays 2nd and 1st. He would look good on the Sox and he has 9 SB. I just wanted to throw him in as someone that is impressive. :bang

I think the answer here is Obvious....

Aubrey Huff....

Big back... Can play 3B for now... and when Crede is fully healthy it allows us to give Konerko his walking papers...

Plus can spell the OF too... Big bat... Impact player....

For a package of Anderson, Sweeney, and BMAC maybe the DRAY'S Will bite..

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)

Aubrey Huff....

Big back... Can play 3B for now... and when Crede is fully healthy it allows us to give Konerko his walking papers...

Anderson, Sweeney and Bmac for a player who's had a tough year?? No f'n way. I'm a huge Huff fan too but that trade would be dumb.

One guy that nobody has looked at is rob makowiak of the pittsburgh pirates. This guy has played every outfield position and practically every infield. He mostly has played 3rd this season so a reasonable replacement for crede. Less pop in his bat but better average and onbase percentage.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

79 262 39 74 15 1 8 42 115 29 56 5 3 .358 .439 .282 2005

530 1526 211 393 78 13 51 205 650 151 395 37 13 .331 .426 .258 Career

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
One guy that nobody has looked at is rob makowiak of the pittsburgh pirates.  This guy has played every outfield position and practically every infield.  He mostly has played 3rd this season so a reasonable replacement for crede.  Less pop in his bat but better average and onbase percentage.

79 262 39 74 15 1 8 42 115 29 56 5 3 .358 .439 .282                2005

G AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI TB  BB  SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

530 1526 211 393 78 13 51 205 650 151 395 37 13 .331 .426 .258  Career

Nobody looked at? :lol: :lol: :lol: :stick

For awhile here, this place could have been called MakowiakTalk.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)

Aubrey Huff....

Why dont we just give them Young and Gio too? Geez, just because Lamarr demands a kings ransom doesnt mean we have to give it to him.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)

Aubrey Huff....

Good god, yet your not willing to give up that sort of package for Schmidt?

Heck no, I'd throw up if the Sox dealt for Huff right now. Huff in the offseason, sure, not a bad move (as long as they aren't giving up what you suggest). Right now Huff doesn't fit on this team. He's a poor defensive 3rd baseman and the Sox shouldn't weakne there defense one bit.

If they want to win they need to strenghten what this team is built upon...pitching and defense as well as smart baseball. Huff is a good hitter, but he's crap at 3rd base and it would be a detrimate to this pitching staff to have him playing everyday.

If the Sox want to acquire someone, it could be a 3rd baseman (but he better be able to pick it). Otherwise it should be a shortstop, which than gives the Sox two good defensive players capable of playing 3rd in Crede and Uribe. Uribe can also spell others. Thats why I badly want Vizquel. They stay equal defensively at SS while upgrading the bench (uribe moving there) and the lineup improves greatly by getting another type of player this club needs (great 2 hole hitter, heady player, and a leader).

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)

Aubrey Huff....

That's rich. Wow. That's rich.

Here's a thought, how about Chad Tracy of of D'backs? He plays 1B and 3B. He's been playing at 1B this year due to the Glaus signing but had been a 3B. He's definitely not the defensive wiz Crede is at 3B which would be my only hesitation. He's in his second year making near league minimum. Last year he hit .285, and this year he's been over .300 for almost the entirety of the season. He doesn't have too much pop (although 10 homers so far isn't bad). He's a lefty (throws right), something the Sox could definitely use, and he's not going to kill rallies. Plus he's only 25 years old with a history of hitting for a high average in the minors.

So why would the D'backs even consider trading him? Well he's obviously of no use at 3B since Glaus is there and will be there for several years. They have Tony Clark playing 1B as well who's having one of his better years so far this year (hitting .324 w/ 13 homers in limited playing time). They're also looking to bring up their prize prospect Conor Jackson. Jackson is POOR defensively and really can ONLY play 1B, so there's a logjam there. Tracy could move to the OF, but with Shawn Green, Gonzo, and Jose Cruz out there, I can't see regular playing time for him out there either. The D'backs obviously still need bullpen help. I think we could get Tracy straight up for ONE relief pitcher, either one on the major league roster or a high level relief prospect... definitely not more than two... maybe we could throw in Borchard and get some value for him if necessary.

Plus side: can replace Crede if he goes down at 3rd, can backup Konerko at 1st, hits for a high average, bats lefty, young, cheap, very good against righties

Negatives: poor (but improving?) defense, doesn't hit lefties well

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
Here's a thought, how about Chad Tracy of of D'backs?  He plays 1B and 3B.  He's been playing at 1B this year due to the Glaus signing but had been a 3B.  He's definitely not the defensive wiz Crede is at 3B which would be my only hesitation.  He's in his second year making near league minimum.  Last year he hit .285, and this year he's been over .300 for almost the entirety of the season.  He doesn't have too much pop (although 10 homers so far isn't bad).  He's a lefty (throws right), something the Sox could definitely use, and he's not going to kill rallies.  Plus he's only 25 years old with a history of hitting for a high average in the minors.

So why would the D'backs even consider trading him?  Well he's obviously of no use at 3B since Glaus is there and will be there for several years.  They have Tony Clark playing 1B as well who's having one of his better years so far this year (hitting .324 w/ 13 homers in limited playing time).  They're also looking to bring up their prize prospect Conor Jackson.  Jackson is POOR defensively and really can ONLY play 1B, so there's a logjam there.  Tracy could move to the OF, but with Shawn Green, Gonzo, and Jose Cruz out there, I can't see regular playing time for him out there either.  The D'backs obviously still need bullpen help.  I think we could get Tracy straight up for ONE relief pitcher, either one on the major league roster or a high level relief prospect... definitely not more than two... maybe we could throw in Borchard and get some value for him if necessary.

Plus side: can replace Crede if he goes down at 3rd, can backup Konerko at 1st, hits for a high average, bats lefty, young, cheap, very good against righties

Negatives: poor (but improving?) defense, doesn't hit lefties well

Only problem is I just don't see the Dbacks dealing Tracy, unless they are getting a very good young infielder in return. Of course I'm a huge huge Tracy fan. He's gonna be a pretty good player for a long time. Another guy thats gonna be really good, if not great, is Sizemore. Man does he have a sweet swing.