Hold off on those pitcher trade talks...

S720

Should Contreras continue his quality pitching like yesterday and El Duque feeling strong, I think we should hold off on those starting pitcher trades.

If El Duque pitches well next Monday, it's going to be very tough for KW to make his decision. When we get closer to the July 31st trading deadline and if both of Contreras and El Duque continue to pitch well, I would love to have the tradings for Wagner and Randa. With these two acquisitions, we will do well the rest of the way and deep into the playoffs.

GO SOX

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
Should Contreras continue his quality pitching like yesterday and El Duque feeling strong, I think we should hold off on those starting pitcher trades. 

If El Duque pitches well next Monday, it's going to be very tough for KW to make his decision.  When we get closer to the July 31st trading deadline and if both of Contreras and El Duque continue to pitch well, I would love to have the tradings for Wagner and Randa.  With these two acquisitions, we will do well the rest of the way and deep into the playoffs.

GO SOX

Oops! Kinda forget the link:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep15.html

Marte back; Hernandez feeling strong

July 15, 2005

CLEVELAND -- The White Sox activated Damaso Marte from the disabled list Thursday, while Orlando Hernandez pronounced himself stronger than he was in spring training.

Marte filled the spot vacated when left-hander Kevin Walker was sent back to Class AAA Charlotte after Sunday's game. Hernandez is expected to start Monday at home against the Detroit Tigers, his first appearance since June 14. He likely will replace reliever Bobby Jenks on the roster.

Hernandez made a rehab start for Charlotte on Sunday, giving up one run on four hits in four innings. He had two strikeouts and took the loss.

''I'm feeling good,'' Hernandez said Thursday. ''I threw Sunday in the minor leagues, four strong innings. I felt very good and I threw every pitch. The next day I felt good. I threw a bullpen [session Thursday] and felt strong. I'm ready for the next start.''

Hernandez, 7-2 with a 4.88 ERA in 11 starts, has had two stints on the disabled list because of shoulder soreness. His latest injury was diagnosed as shoulder inflammation.

''Days ago I throw long toss with Jose Contreras,'' Hernandez said. ''He said, 'Hey, I think you threw long toss today better than all of spring training.' And I throw with him every day in spring training. [Pitching coach Don] Cooper said during the bullpen [session], 'This is good.' I'm feeling good.''

Marte, who was out since June 27 with an inflamed left trapezius, said he has been at full strength for five days and no medication was necessary during his recovery.

El Duque saying he is strong and actually being strong are two different things.

At this point, the Sox will probably just get a stopgap pitcher to fill in if El Duque isn't healthy.

I really doubt that they will mortgage the farm this season like they did when they got Garcia.

I wouldn't mind seeing El Duque get skipped in the rotation a couple of times this half, just to keep him fresh. Let him get his workout in the bullpen and be ready for the stretch. Otherwise the Sox will need another arm. He's been on the DL twice already and each time back he said the same things he's saying now. Why would you believe him?

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
El Duque saying he is strong and actually being strong are two different things.

At this point, the Sox will probably just get a stopgap pitcher to fill in if El Duque isn't healthy.

I really doubt that they will mortgage the farm this season like they did when they got Garcia.

Tell me how Olivo and Reed are doing.

:rolly

Mortgage the farm this season?

:headshake

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)

You know I really don't feel like we mortgaged the farm to get Garcia, especially considered how mediocre those three actually may end up being.

But it comes down to this. I wouldn't mind 'mortgaging' the farm this year because in reality what has our farm system legitimately produced in the past few seasons. I do follow the minor league system and do enjoy watching players come up. But too many times we talk up guys and they end up being bad, or horribly mediocre.

So if a good deal comes up, trade the farm. This is the year, lets get it done.

Tell me how Olivo and Reed are doing.

:rolly

Mortgage the farm this season?

:headshake

Well.. I wouldnt count Olivio because he was already on the major league team but Morse and Reed havent been dissapointing..

Reed: .257 2 HR's 30 RBI's 34 Runs 4 SB's

Morse: .343 1 HR 11 RBI's 15 Runs 2 SB's

And Reed is also making great plays in the outfield, so I wouldnt act like its no big deal what we gave up..

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
Mark Buehrle.

Don't play this game with me. Mark B., Arow, Frank and Joe Crede are the only four players drafted by us that are on the major league roster right now. My point was our success rate of call ups has been much worse than our free agent and trade acquisitions.

I don't need a White Sox history lesson on who came up in our system. Simply put, I'm at the point now where if we can pull a trade for a proven major leaguer for someone on the farm, we do it...that is all.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Don't play this game with me.  Mark B., Arow, Frank and Joe Crede are the only four players drafted by us that are on the major league roster right now.  My point was our success rate of call ups has been much worse than our free agent and trade acquisitions.

I don't need a White Sox history lesson on who came up in our system. Simply put, I'm at the point now where if we can pull a trade for a proven major leaguer for someone on the farm, we do it...that is all.

How is our success rate when compared to other teams? How many teams have a ton of their players who are drafted, developed, and play with their respective teams at the major league level?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
How is our success rate when compared to other teams?  How many teams have a ton of their players who are drafted, developed, and play with their respective teams at the major league level?

I can name 4 on the Yankees right now. And two of them are sure fire HOFers.

Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Bernie Williams.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
How is our success rate when compared to other teams?  How many teams have a ton of their players who are drafted, developed, and play with their respective teams at the major league level?

Well I'm not gonna put a spreadsheet together showing comparisons of which teams rebuild from the farm better than others but there are a few that stick out. The Braves, Dodgers, Expos/Nats, and A's come to mind.

Sure most extremely competitive teams year in and year out do not use their farm system to win at the major league level.

I have no way to prove this but it does seem like we bring up an inordinate amount of major league busts. Granted, my view is through clouded glasses as I watch the Sox alot more than other major league teams.

QUOTE(Jimenez4MVP @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
Well.. I wouldnt count Olivio because he was already on the major league team but Morse and Reed havent been dissapointing..

And Reed is also making great plays in the outfield, so I wouldnt act like its no big deal what we gave up..

GMAB

We got what we needed. A strong pitcher for 3 years and we are blowing away the American League.

Please tell me more about Mike Morse's defense and how exactly he would have played into the Sox's plans for the future.

QUOTE(Jimenez4MVP @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)

The key:

M's went nowhere (last place), Sox went to 1st place with the help of Freddy.

And how is Reed's .257 avg not dissapointing. He was suppose to be a superstar. Yeah, he still has time, but even we thought last year he might come up and play in the outfield this year or last September and be our star.

Edited by SoxFan1

People are still upset over giving up those two? Good grief, if some of us had our way, it would be easier to touch a preacher's daughter then any of our prospects, 90% of which will never yield anything in return anyway.

Baseball is notorious for running in cycles. If we have to pay for talent with prospects now we can always sell said talent to acquire other prospects when this team's success has run its course....

SFF