The First White Sox wedding about to happen

southsider2k5

Wasn't there a wedding at the Saturday Dodger game last month? Is this an old story? At that Dodger game they were sitting in the club level down the left field line with a huge Just Married banner, and the Sun Times the next day had a story about JR officiating it. Its 10k to get married, and if you get a pre game party as your reception you probably save money in the long run. I wouldn't have had the balls to even ask my wife if she would consider this though.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
They were on Channel 5 last night.. kinda weird couple, IMO. $10K JUST to have JR marry you... because that does NOT include a reception of any kind... is really, reallly not so bright.  :ph34r:

I could have swore it included basically a reception in the stadium club.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
I could have swore it included basically a reception in the stadium club.

No, it doesn't. The package to have Jerry marry you does NOT include a reception.

And DA, no, it's not old. They are the FIRST to marry ON the field by Jerry. There have been tons of weddings there this year (we went to one). But this is the first couple crazy enough to pay all that $$. :wacko:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
No, it doesn't. The package to have Jerry marry you does NOT include a reception.

And DA, no, it's not old. They are the FIRST to marry ON the field by Jerry. There have been tons of weddings there this year (we went to one). But this is the first couple crazy enough to pay all that $$.  :wacko:

where else do couples get married in the park?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
They were on Channel 5 last night.. kinda weird couple, IMO. $10K JUST to have JR marry you... because that does NOT include a reception of any kind... is really, reallly not so bright.  :ph34r:

Wouldn't you rather put that towards a down payment on a house? I mean it may be just me but there are other things I can use 10 grand for especially as a newlywed.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
Wouldn't you rather put that towards a down payment on a house? I mean it may be just me but there are other things I can use 10 grand for especially as a newlywed.

I am sure if they have 10k to waste on this, they aren't really worried about a downpayment for a house.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Shoot, our wedding (ceremony and reception for appx 200) will total out to about 12000 or so (if that much).  10K for what ammounts to an officiant and location is expensive.

This is why my wife and I eloped. We came back had a reception dinner and received gifts at the dinner. Instead of paying all that money into the wedding we decided to buy a house together and all the money that would have been spent on the wedding went towards the down payment.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
This is why my wife and I eloped. We came back had a reception dinner and received gifts at the dinner. Instead of paying all that money into the wedding we decided to buy a house together and all the money that would have been spent on the wedding went towards the down payment.

That's what we would have done had we not done the house first. We remodeled our house about 2 years ago.

He wanted the big wedding more than me, but I have to admit I am having fun planning it at this point. :cheers

For tax purposes this is a charitable contribution for the the $10K less the fair value of the services provided. Seeing as JR does not do this for a living, there is $0 allocateed to him and they did not rent anything out nor is there a value for standing on the field so for this they get a $10K charitable contribution on their taxes. If they have money and were going to contribute to a charity anyway, what the hell.

These things are all for White Sox charities correct?

If they pay this and get some sort of reception, the fair market value of the reception is removed from the $10K.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
I am sure if they have 10k to waste on this, they aren't really worried about a downpayment for a house.

From what I hear (and this is total rumor) they refinanced the home they already own together to do this. No effing way I would do this. No way..

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
Shoot, our wedding (ceremony and reception for appx 200) will total out to about 12000 or so (if that much).  10K for what ammounts to an officiant and location is expensive.

Ours was just over 10K. 10K just for JR and a location.. nuts.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
For tax purposes this is a charitable contribution for the the $10K less the fair value of the services provided.  Seeing as JR does not do this for a living, there is $0 allocateed to him and they did not rent anything out nor is there a value for standing on the field so for this they get a $10K charitable contribution on their taxes.  If they have money and were going to contribute to a charity anyway, what the hell.

These things are all for White Sox charities correct?

If they pay this and get some sort of reception, the fair market value of the reception is removed from the $10K.

A % is deductable.. not the entire thing. The relief does not come close to justifying the expense.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
From what I hear (and this is total rumor) they refinanced the home they already own together to do this. No effing way I would do this. No way..

There are other ways to spend your money. Get season tickets, go to spring training, go to a bunch of games, soxfest etc. The wedding is cute and the pub is nice but there is a lot better ways to spend your money on sox fandom.

I got lucky with my wedding costs. We were going to pay for the whole thing ourselves. I had everything paid off and on the night of my reception my father and my in-laws gave us checks that pretty much covered the entire thing. We took the money and my wife's condo which we sold and used it as a down payment for our house.

Edited by southsideirish71