Horrible, Horrible News....

bjm676

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
So a rational person, free of any mental illness, drives a car into another to commit suicide. Ohhh kay.

Perhaps the voices in her head told her to drive her car into another? I don't know why she picked one over the other. If she wanted to "take out the most people with her", why didn't she buy a gun or make a bomb?

So many unanswered questions. But with Nuke's justice,

What a civilized approach.

Call it what you want to. I call it justice.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
Nice comparison.  An innocent person vs a triple murderer.

:lolhitting  :rolly

I guess they don't teach military history anymore. Actually the person being executed killed a number of Americans.

I assume the picture of someone getting shot in the head is what made you laugh.

I hate to interrupt your little argument here, because I think it is a fascinating argument with both sides of the spectrum represented, but I thought a little suicide handbook might help clear up some things.

http://www.answers.com/topic/suicide

Certain time trends can be related to the type of death. In the United Kingdom, for example, the steady rise in suicides from 1945 to 1965 was curtailed following the removal of carbon monoxide from domestic gas supplies which occurred with the change from coal gas to natural gas. Methods vary across cultures, and the easy availability of lethal agents and materials plays a role.

Higher levels of social and national cohesion reduce suicide rates. Suicide levels are highest among the retired, unemployed, divorced, the childless, urbanites, empty nesters, and other people who live alone. Suicide rates also rise during times of economic uncertainty (although poverty is not a direct cause). Epidemiological studies generally show a relationship between suicide or suicidal behaviors and socio-economic disadvantage, including limited educational achievement, homelessness, unemployment, economic dependence and contact with the police or justice system.[1] (http://www.health.gov.au/hsdd/mentalhe/resources/life/action.htm) War is always associated with a steep fall in suicides; for example, during World War I and World War II the rate fell markedly, even in neutral countries.

The majority of suicides suffer from some psychological disorder. Depression, either unipolar or as part of bipolar disorder, is an especially common cause. Substance abuse, severe physical disease or infirmity are also recognized causes.

The majority of people who commit suicide are mentally ill, but not all are mentally ill.

back to your left and right -isms...... :D

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
Street Execution Linked Here

Nuke, I forgot y'all are a youngin'

For those of us a little older, that image, and that of a 9 year old girl running from napalm are very vivid.

Sorry for the detour.

Now that I have been enlightened on that another can of worms has been opened. According to the article that picture helped galvanize opposition to the war. I wonder how many of those hippies made the same mistake I did of assuming that piece of trash was innocent.

/Back to your regularly scheduled arguing.

:D

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
Now that I have been enlightened on that another can of worms has been opened.  According to the article that picture helped galvanize opposition to the war.  I wonder how many of those hippies made the same mistake I did of assuming that piece of trash was innocent.

/Back to your regularly scheduled arguing.

:D

Those darn hippies, growing up on presumption of innocent, fair trials, cruel and inhumane treatment, and all those other un-American ideals.

Judge, jury, and executioner. Justice, Nuke style. Except he wasn't beaten by some families first.

IMHO, this photo did more to galvanize the public against the war

image502527l.jpg

And the war hawks were right. Once Vietnam fell, the world went communist. It was also Walter Cronkite giving the death total every night. For some crazy reason, hippies and other Americans don't like seeing our young men and women returning in body bags.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)

Those darn hippies, growing up on presumption of innocent, fair trials, cruel and inhumane treatment, and all those other un-American ideals.

Judge, jury, and executioner. Justice, Nuke style. Except he wasn't beaten by some families first.

IMHO, this photo did more to galvanize the public against the war

image502527l.jpg

And the war hawks were right. Once Vietnam fell, the world went communist. It was also Walter Cronkite giving the death total every night. For some crazy reason, hippies and other Americans don't like seeing our young men and women returning in body bags.

We're getting way off topic here but had we sat around and done nothing in places like Berlin 1948, Korea and Vietnam the war hawks may well have been proven right.

EDIT: As history has shown.....weakness in the face of aggression begets more aggression.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
We're getting way off topic here but had we sat around and done nothing in places like Berlin 1948,  Korea and Vietnam the war hawks may well have been proven right.

Way off topic? Is that a sign of mental illness?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
Care to give some examples of weakness bringing on more aggression? If we are tossing out cliches, how about violence begets more violence?

Europe. 1930's Nazi's do whatever they want to whenever they want to and France and Britain cave.

Do you remember "PEACE IN OUR TIME"?

That's the most shining example I can think of right off the top of my head.

Texsox, where was your concern for the criminal in this suicide attempt gone awry? He must have been suffering from mental health issues, right?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29159&hl=

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
If you are going to kill yourself, don't involve other people, do not make a mess. If you are the cutter/slasher type, do it in the bathtub. Gas, garage with the engine running and plenty of fuel (Some people underestimate how long it takes and do not start with a full gas tank). No swallowing a gun, it's always messy, ditto on jumping. An overdose would also work nicely.

Park your car on train tracks so other people are also killed??  :fyou

And don't suggest these cases are different because the women followed through her suicide attempt while the man bailed. If anything, the women featured in this thread should be held more accountable then Juan Alvarez. Alvarez's defense could argue he had no intention of injuring/murdering travelers while Jeanette Sliwinski deliberately rammed another motorist.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
Texsox, where was your concern for the criminal in this suicide attempt gone awry? He must have been suffering from mental health issues, right?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29159&hl=

And don't suggest these cases are different because the women followed through her suicide attempt while the man bailed. If anything, the women featured in this thread should be held more accountable then Juan Alvarez. Alvarez's defense could argue he had no intention of injuring/murdering travelers while Jeanette Sliwinski deliberately rammed another motorist.

Again, if you're going to commit suicide, don't take others with you. But I didn't advocate having the victim's families beat him with billy clubs and put a bullet in his head, which is what I object the most to in Nuke's World of Mis-Justice. The central debate is what to do with the person who has attempted suicide.

If I was forced to pick between the two (and it is probably impossible) I would say that Juan should be held more accountable, he decided not to commit suicide. Someone who follows through is probably more disturb. Again, before it's pointed out, this is all conjecture.