Shingo Takatsu Heading West???

greasywheels121

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep16.html

Latest trade whispers have Takatsu heading west

BY DOUG PADILLA

CLEVELAND -- The rumor mill continues to churn out White Sox trade possibilities, although the newest scuttlebutt is not a deal of the impact variety.

According to a source, reliever Shingo Takatsu could be traded to a West Coast team as early as today, with the Sox getting a high-level prospect in return.

Most of the previous rumors surrounding the Sox had to do with them acquiring a starter such as the San Francisco Giants' Jason Schmidt or the Florida Marlins' A.J. Burnett. The Sox are particularly interested in Burnett, although getting him could cost them reliever Damaso Marte and an impact outfielder the likes of a Carl Everett or Aaron Rowand.

As with the Schmidt deal, which has essentially fallen by the wayside, a possible swap for Burnett is losing momentum.

Takatsu has increased his trade value of late with a rebound from his slow start. His ERA was above 8.00 for the entire month of April before he got it down to 5.14 at the All-Star break. That was still 1.30 higher than his ERA at the same point last season.

The side-arming right-hander did have a run of five consecutive scoreless outings (71/3 innings) that finally ended July 1. Included in that run was a June 29 outing in which he pitched 3-2/3 innings while picking up the victory against the Detroit Tigers.

Also of value is Takatsu's ability to close games. He was the Sox' closer at the start of the season before losing the job to Dustin Hermanson. He has converted 27 of his 29 save chances over two seasons for the Sox, including his last seven chances, with his last save coming May 5 against the Kansas City Royals.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok my guess is that it's going to be the Arizona Diamondbacks. Unfortunately we won't be getting Conor Jackson or Carlos Quentin though, but if we can get a high - level prospect for Shingo, hell yeah we should do it. It means Viz and Jenks are probably here to stay for good as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 03:39 AM)
Ok my guess is that it's going to be the Arizona Diamondbacks. Unfortunately we won't be getting Conor Jackson or Carlos Quentin though, but if we can get a high - level prospect for Shingo, hell yeah we should do it. It means Viz and Jenks are probably here to stay for good as well.

Ya, it sounds like it's the dbacks if we're getting a high spect for Shingo because Arizona is desperate for bullpen help. Now, I wonder if this supposed high prospect would be hear to stay or be moved in another deal. I'd bet the latter.

After Quentin and Jackson, here are the D-Backs next 3 top prospects FWIW, splits and John Sickels pieces as shown;

3) Jon Zeringue, OF

.257/.289/.361 in 69 games for Double-A Tennessee, with 9/46/249 BB/K/AB mark. Production hampered by very poor strike zone judgment. A disappointing season thus far.

4) Sergio Santos, SS

Not adjusting well to Triple-A, hitting .238/.298/.425 with 11 homers for Tucson. Plate discipline has been mediocre, numbers overall are considerably less than anticipated.

5) Josh Kroeger, OF

Hitting .263/.322/.422 for Tucson, more mediocre numbers in a good hitting environment. Will get buried by Quentin and Jackson if he doesn't improve.

Zeringue - .260/.301/.356, 52 K's, 13 BB's

Santos - .241/.301/.420, 67 K's, 26 BB's

Kroeger - .274/.332/.458, 65 K's, 24 BB's

My guess is that if it's going to be anyone of those 3, it'll be Mr. Santos, since if the Sox decide to keep the prospect, they'll want an infielder over an outfielder.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 04:50 AM)
After Quentin and Jackson, here are the D-Backs next 3 top prospects FWIW, splits and John Sickels pieces as shown;

My guess is that if it's going to be anyone of those 3, it'll be Mr. Santos, since if the Sox decide to keep the prospect, they'll want an infielder over an outfielder.

Talk about underwellming.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)

Is there a reason to trade an MLB ready pitcher for a prospect this season?

QUOTE(cubbiesuck13 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 03:52 AM)

Like I said, I'd bet my house that there would be another trade that coincides with this one, if this deal happens.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(cubbiesuck13 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)

If the prospect's going to be ready soon, and is going to contribute for a long time, over a pitcher who's not going to be back after this season, than yes I'd say there's a reason. Could open the door for someone like Jeff Bajenaru as well. FWIW Santos had splits of .282/.332/.461 in AA last season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
If the prospect's going to be ready soon, and is going to contribute for a long time, over a pitcher who's not going to be back after this season, than yes I'd say there's a reason. Could open the door for someone like Jeff Bajenaru as well. FWIW Santos had splits of .282/.332/.461 in AA last season.

How soon? Soon as in now? or soon as in next season? Personally I hope that no starters are traded for prospects right now. However, if Bajenaru is ready then it changes everything.

QUOTE(cubbiesuck13 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
How soon? Soon as in now? or soon as in next season? Personally I hope that no starters are traded for prospects right now. However, if Bajenaru is ready then it changes everything.

I know everyone has this "Let's put all of our eggs into one basket" and go for it this season, but the Sox still need to look at their long - term interests. If a guy like Santos is acquired, it gives them some wiggle room to possibly move Uribe in a future deal if he doesn't increase his production. Sure Shingo has been pretty good lately, but he's replaceable, and he's not an important part of the bullpen and is hardly used in any important situations anymore with Politte, Cotts and Marte all ahead of him.

Baj has 1.11 ERA down at Charlotte in an extreme hitters park. He deserves a shot. Period.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 04:14 AM)
and is hardly used in any important situations anymore

This is the key, as much as I've been impressed with Shingo these last few weeks and really think he's rounding back into form, ozzie just isn't using the guy. If he's not going to be used and we can get a top prospect for him, you gotta do it. I'd be sad to see Shingo go though, cause he was just awesome last year and he's damn fun to watch. If this is true and Shingo does get traded I wish him nothing but the best.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
This is the key, as much as I've been impressed with Shingo these last few weeks and really think he's rounding back into form, ozzie just isn't using the guy.  If he's not going to be used and we can get a top prospect for him, you gotta do it.  I'd be sad to see Shingo go though, cause he was just awesome last year and he's damn fun to watch.  If this is true and Shingo does get traded I wish him nothing but the best.

I just hope this doesn't negatively impact Iguchi and our chances to sign future Japanese Free Agents but I don't think it will. But like I've said, if you get a top prospect for Shingo and can use a guy like Baj, who'll be cheap in Shingo's role, you should do it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)

A very good SS prospect nearly ready for the bigs has to have some value. If it was AZ that's interested in Shingo, Santos would be a very good value for him. AZ has a few SS's in their system.

They could keep him or move him in a deal for a SS like Vizquel, Cesar Izturis [as the dodgers need to rebuild for 2006]

Thinking this over a bit, this could also be a move to just open up a roster spot to either finally bring Ross up or make this the move allows the Duke to be activated. Who knows really, guess it's just a wait and see at this point.

Unless this "high level prospect" is an offer KW can't refuse, I'm not crazy about this idea. We've had two relievers called up this year, Walker and Jenks, and neither of them has shown they are capable of holding down a spot in the pen. So, why would we want to just weaken our bullpen ... now ... of all times?

It probably is a precursor to abother deal. That's something I can definitely see happening.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
So, why would we want to just weaken our bullpen ... now ... of all times?

It probably is a precursor to abother deal.  That's something I can definitely see happening.

That would be almost a certainty. One of the current bullpen guys would have to be moved if another guy was brought in. Most people [myself included] thought it would Vizcaino. Yet Viz has come on strong, has better "stuff", and can face more batters each time out.

If Shingo is out, I'd to see another LHP brought in

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
Thinking this over a bit, this could also be a move to just open up a roster spot to either finally bring Ross up or make this the move allows the Duke to be activated.  Who knows really, guess it's just a wait and see at this point.

In the short term, that might factor into their thinking. Though Jenks could be sent down and El Duque brought up. Yet the sox don't want to weaken their pen for the playoffs. Someone would be brought in later who'd be an upgrade over Shingo.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 04:35 AM)
In the short term, that might factor into their thinking. Though Jenks could be sent down and El Duque brought up. Yet the sox don't want to weaken their pen for the playoffs. Someone would be brought in later who'd be an upgrade over Shingo.

I agree with both things you said. That's probably the thinking in the short term but thinking like Kenny he's got bigger things on his mind and everything I'm hearing is that Wagner has been made available, I'm not saying......I'm just saying.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 06:43 AM)
Sergio Santos just turned 22. He probably could be ready to play SS in the bigs in early 2006. That would be a good bargaining chip if the sox want to trade for a SS now [that would move Uribe to UTL] Here are his numbers coming into 05

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/sergio_santos.shtml

Enough with the free-swinging hitters with BB/K ratios of 24/89. Eech.

sox drafted Zeringue out of high school -- but he signed with LSU.

They have always loved his bat.

He's only been a pro for a year and he's considered an excellent prospect.

That's not a reason to make a deal when you're going for October, but I just thought I'd throw that into the discussion.

I can understand the thinking behind trading Shingo when his value is up -- he's our third option in the pen.

My only thoughts on Baj are no matter how good his numbers are at Charlotte, he was not impressive with the big club last September.

Asking a lot of a guy like that to deliver in really important games.