Shingo Takatsu Heading West???

greasywheels121

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After today's performance, it'll be hard to get anymore than a mid-level prospect for him.

Stirring the pot: A report in Saturday's Chicago Sun-Times cited an unnamed source in regards to a trade possibility for reliever Shingo Takatsu and a West coast team. Guillen mentioned that he talked to general manager Ken Williams about a rumor of interest in Takatsu last week, but he didn't know anything about current deals regarding the former closer.

"Right now, it's nothing," said Guillen of the Takatsu rumor. "The good thing about Chicago is we have a general manager at the radio stations, a general manager in the newspapers.

"There are a lot of general managers working for us, making it easy. But right now, at this point. ... I don't know anything about it."

Moving Takatsu would open up a spot on the 40-man roster for an ensuing trade of greater impact. It also could present a chance for hard-throwing Bobby Jenks to stick with the team, or an opportunity for Minor Leaguer Jeff Bajenaru and his 1.11 earned run average at Triple-A Charlotte to join the bullpen. Takatsu seemed to take the rumor in stride, laughing at the fact that he was reportedly being moved for only prospects.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
Totally agree, this board is like a freakin' rollercoaster sometimes.

Actually I disagree. I am sure whatever team wants him would like to see him again. Why would you want a guy that cannot finish an inning? The guy has a 5.5 ERA and walked two guys after getting the first two outs. He has been very inconsistant all year and proved it again today. teams want to see you get out of a mess not create one. He will need to pitch again and pitch well.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
I really think if there was anything imminent, Ozzie would have known, and Shingo wouldn't have pitched today.

I still say this makes no sense...if a guy's almost about to be traded, you're fine to pitch him unless he's actually already gone. Until a guy is traded there's no reason not to use him. Hell, you might as well get the innings out of a guy if you've still got him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
I still say this makes no sense...if a guy's almost about to be traded, you're fine to pitch him unless he's actually already gone.  Until a guy is traded there's no reason not to use him.  Hell, you might as well get the innings out of a guy if you've still got him.

If he were being traded, just a rule of thumb, you NEVER send the guy out there. It's baseball ettiquete.

Not saying that is impossible, but most of the time, that's the case.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
I still say this makes no sense...if a guy's almost about to be traded, you're fine to pitch him unless he's actually already gone.  Until a guy is traded there's no reason not to use him.  Hell, you might as well get the innings out of a guy if you've still got him.

You would use him only if you absolutely have to. The Sox had a lot of options in the ninth. Even the most minor of injuries could negate a deal. Plus if there's a deal on the table, the other team isn't going to appreciate you running a guy who is, for all intents and purposes their's, out to the mound.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
You would use him only if you absolutely have to. The Sox had a lot of options in the ninth. Even the most minor of injuries could negate a deal. Plus if there's a deal on the table, the other team isn't going to appreciate you running a guy who is, for all intents and purposes their's, out to the mound.

I guess my point is a bit different. If a team was very close to trading for him (wanting him) talking about him, then I wouldn't even pitch him one inning at all until the deal was done, unless the team asked me to pitch him. Thats really my point. Why risk it when you know he is extremely inconsistant.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
I guess my point is a bit different. If a team was very close to trading for him (wanting him) talking about him, then I wouldn't even pitch him one inning at all until the deal was done, unless the team asked me to pitch him. Thats really my point. Why risk it when you know he is extremely inconsistant.

Exactly. If he goes out there and pitches like s*** (which he did) I would wonder.

I think this whole dealing Shingo (at least this weekend) is bull s***.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
Exactly.  If he goes out there and pitches like s*** (which he did) I would wonder.

well it came from somewhere and it was printed as if it were close.Just like I think we are indeed hot after Aj Burnett. I just don't think it was completely made up. Now how close it was to getting done may be suspect.

Until a deal is made, there is no reason to hold a player out of a game. I've seen them pull players off the field in the middle of a game because they had just been traded. There's no baseball ettiquete involved. If he's traded, you can't play him. Until then, you can and in most cases do so the scouts can watch him.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
Until a deal is made, there is no reason to hold a player out of a game.  I've seen them pull players off the field in the middle of a game because they had just been traded.  There's no baseball ettiquete involved.  If he's traded, you can't play him.  Until then, you can and in most cases do so the scouts can watch him.

Miguel Olivio

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Exactly.  If he goes out there and pitches like s*** (which he did) I would wonder.

Why? Does it not make sense?

It makes perfect sense. He's one of the last options in our pen, and it's been apparent that Ozzie really has no use for him. Meanwhile, some NL team is sitting out there thinking, "You know, Shingo could very well do what he did last year in the AL for us." Shingo hasn't lost his velocity, he hasn't gone John Rocker, he isn't a headcase...he's just lost his edge in the AL. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Shingo revert back to 2004 form almost if traded to a NL team. KW could also be sitting there, about ready to pull the trigger on a guy to take Shingo's spot.

God Speed Shingo! We love ya...

You seem to think a team will call off a trade because of one bad outing. That is just not true, it doesn't work that way and never has. Teams compile scouting reports all the way back to spring training, when it comes to a pitcher what they look at is velocity and how good their stuff is. Every pitcher will be a little wild now and again.

Teams do not totally turn on and off about a trade based on one outing on a muddy track in a 7-2 game. The scouts from other teams and their general managers are not as reactionary as you. Wasn't the case with McCarthy and isn't the case with Shingo.

If a team wants to trade for a guy, they will look at his whole body of work and base their value on that ... it does not go up and down like oil prices. Shingo's value won't change much based on him walking two guys today.

Guillen said he hadn’t spoken to Sox GM Ken Williams about reliever Shingo Takatsu, who has received strong interest from relief-needy Arizona...The Diamondbacks have had a scout follow the Sox for most of the last three weeks...Two scouts who have followed the Sox recently said they would be surprised if the Sox could get a high-level prospect, given Takatsu’s vulnerability to left-handed hitters (six home runs), his age (36) and 5.97 ERA.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
one problem: guardado is old enough to be my great grandpa. are you one of the people who also suggested a while ago that we trade crede for vinny castilla? experience only goes so far; they need to be somewhat young in order to have some kind of physical ability left.

Absolutely moronic post thru and thru. :headshake :headshake