Will Bulls make playoffs this year?

Although it's early, but even if we get all our players back, we may not make the playoffs.The automatics are: Pistons, Heat, Pacers.

Then, 5 teams left will make it: Cleveland (good offseason and Lebron,) Wizards (Gilbert and Twan, still good even without Hughes,) Bucks (Redd, Simmons, Bogut, they've improved,) Boston (they've got good youngsters and Pierce,) New Jersey (Kidd, Carter, and Jefferson.) Then, the bulls.

Any thoughts?

Edited by maggsmaggs

Well Id say the givens assuming health is Detroit, Indiana, Heat, and Nets.

That leaves 4 spots for the rest of the teams. Assuming we bring back Chandler and Curry we would have the same team that had the 3rd best record in the league last year.

So we already know we would be better with the wizards who lost Hughes and Kwame(always killed us) and basicly gained Butler and atkins... a downgrade.

The Celtics are losing Walker and Payton who were both big for their playoff run... Payton especially and Walker was like a spark. And we had a better record with them with those 2 players... although they are an up and coming team.

Cleveland has a chance to be good... But lets see how Hughes fits into the system first... They should at the very least make the playoffs still.

Bucks improved... but only enuf to be a 7th or 8th seed... still have crappy ass defense.

I'm confident Orlando will make the finals this season. I just think with Howard getting more of the ball and if the Magic can sign a starting PG and Vazquez can handle playing in the NBA, they'll get a spot somewhere.

That said on 101's thoughts;

Wizards - Brown didn't play much at all this season, and Hughes for Butler isn't that big of a difference as it may be seen, give Butler Hughes' playing time, and he'll produce. Plus they have the MLE to sign a big to replace Brown.

Celtics - They could yet bring back Walker and / or Payton. With Rivers in his 2nd year as coach, I think they'll challenge for top 4 with their young players improving.

Cavs - If they get a good PG in Daniels, they could win over 50 games. But they still need some more production from the bench, and better defense from the PF position, hence why they're shopping Drew Gooden.

Bucks - Interesting to see how all of the new faces are going to gel this season, Terry Stotts is going to have to work cut out for him early. They have a good nucleus though, and they'll be around the mark.

I think the bulls have a good chace next year if they can bring back Duhon and Chandler and/or Curry. Plus this year there all a year older and that much more experienced and they most likely wont go 0-9 there first 9 games so that will give them a headstart :lolhitting

If the Bulls bring back Curry and Chandler and Duhon, or someone of equal skill (no idea who's left), and their top 6 of Curry, Chandler, Deng, Gordon, Hinrich, and Duhon all stay moderately healthy this year (i.e. miss a few games here and there, but no extended stretches) then they will make the playoffs, and if Skiles gets Curry to play some defense and we cut down on the turnovers, we could be up with the Pistons and Heat.

On the other hand, if any of those things goes wrong...we could very easily miss them. We're still a young team. We still need a defensive minded guard. We still need Chandler to stay healthy. We need Curry not to keel over and die. We need Deng to stay healty. We need Hinrich's shot to improve. We need to cut down on the turnovers. and so forth.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
I think (hope) you're right. Ok I was a little harsh.  :P  sorry DBAHO

You say playoffs, we say finals down here. Hopefully we can get a big FA like Yao Ming or Amare Stoudemire next off-season, we'll have the cap room to do so.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
You thought the magic were better than the bulls last year 2  :ph34r:

And Hughes idonno if he is that much better than Butler because I havent watched Butler much but I do know that Hughes was perfect for the wizards and they are going to experiance a drop off.

Butler hasn't had a defining role in 2 seasons, the Heat never used him in his 2nd year, and last season he was always stuck behind Kobe and Odom. He showed what he can do in his rookie year, and if he can handle playing SG (he may play SF anyway), he's going to suprise a lot of people.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
You say playoffs, we say finals down here. Hopefully we can get a big FA like Yao Ming or Amare Stoudemire next off-season, we'll have the cap room to do so.

I have a small hunch PHX might have something to say about that.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)

Chances are either of them go is probally like 0.4%.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:26 AM)
Chances are either of them go is probally like 0.4%.

Yeah I know, so we'll probably have to settle for someone like Jason Terry. But having no state income tax in Florida is always a plus to free agents. And if the Suns do retain Johnson, they'll gonna be really hav a lot of money tied up in a couple of players when it comes time to lock of Amare, plus he's from Orlando as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
Yeah I know, so we'll probably have to settle for someone like Jason Terry. But having no state income tax in Florida is always a plus to free agents. And if the Suns do retain Johnson, they'll gonna be really hav a lot of money tied up in a couple of players when it comes time to lock of Amare, plus he's from Orlando as well.

He is a restricted free agent... so he will not be walking.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)

I say highly doubtful...first of all in the CBA it's still almost always worth more money for longer to stay where you are, and 2nd, in addition to Houston and Phoenix, the Lakers and a few other teams will be gunning for a big name guy also.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
I say highly doubtful...first of all in the CBA it's still almost always worth more money for longer to stay where you are, and 2nd, in addition to Houston and Phoenix, the Lakers and a few other teams will be gunning for a big name guy also.

It depends if you were Ming or Stoudemire, would you rather play with Kobe Bryant or Dwight Howard?