Jason Schmidt News

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
If he somehow manages to land Jason Schmidt.. Then you might be onto something..Also depends on who he gives up and if he figures out our SS problem..

Does he get any dap from you if he does?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Levine, the Giants want a veteran pitcher, blue-chip pitching prospect and either Anderson or Sweeney for Schmidt. Schmidt has 2M left this year and 10.5M for next year. Seems like too much, especially if Vizquel isn't involved.

With the velocity down a smidge it isn't quite as good as before but his power change will evoke memories of Johan at times. Plus, on a steamy night-he was pretty darn good last night. I watched the whole game and he was excellent. He touched 94-95 but hit 93 more with the 4, 90 with the 2 and the change was coming in around 84-86 from what I could tell. He has learned how to pitch at his current velocity and is a better pitcher than AJ with more postseason experience. That said, we might need the Flubs to sweep the Giants to get them really to think about selling.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:41 AM)
5 more days till the deadline. Nobody knows what to expect at this point, not even KW.

That's what Im looking forward for. All these rumors will come to end. I trust KW to make a good decision.

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 06:27 AM)
According to Levine, the Giants want a veteran pitcher, blue-chip pitching prospect and either Anderson or Sweeney for Schmidt.  Schmidt has 2M left this year and 10.5M for next year.  Seems like too much, especially if Vizquel isn't involved.

Would you guys do Contreras, Bmac, Sweeney and say Valido for Schmidt and Vizquel. I must say, I'd definately think long and hard about it. Mainly because I want Vizquel badly :)

Plus Schmidt is a total horse and wouldn't be a 3 month rental.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
Would you guys do Contreras, Bmac, Sweeney and say Valido for Schmidt and Vizquel.  I must say, I'd definately think long and hard about it.  Mainly because I want Vizquel badly :)

no, i wouldnt, because bmac + contreras = no backup if el duque goes down. however, if it was one or the other, i would, or if we traded for redman, and moved him to SF instead of one or the other. valido is too much of an unknown at this point. besides in todays game you have to really excell at stealing bases if you dont hit for power, and valido doesnt project to hit for much power. valido imo is more likely to become willie harris/wilson valdez than anything else.

schmidt adds alot, and i dont want to hear the crap about "schmidt only has a 4.7 ERA in a pitchers park in the NL so contreras must be better since his ERA is 4.3" schmidt is an obvious upgrade. as far as vizquel, upgrades are obvious on O, slightly worse on D than uribe, but not enough to make a significant difference.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
no, i wouldnt, because bmac + contreras = no backup if el duque goes down.

schmidt adds alot, and i dont want to hear the crap about "schmidt only has a 4.7 ERA in a pitchers park in the NL so contreras must be better since his ERA is 4.3" schmidt is an obvious upgrade. as far as vizquel, upgrades are obvious on O, slightly worse on D than uribe, but not enough to make a significant difference.

I wouldnt give up both pitcher to the Giants for Schmidt. They need youth all around, and I think its going to take BMAC and Young +one more to get the deal done. Omar would be a great fit hitting, basestealing and defensively.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
Would you guys do Contreras, Bmac, Sweeney and say Valido for Schmidt and Vizquel.  I must say, I'd definately think long and hard about it.  Mainly because I want Vizquel badly :)

Yes

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)

In a heartbeat...we fill two holes on this team by only giving up one ML player.

Why are a bunch of people nervous about giving up both Contreras and BMac? BMac's El Duque's insurance? What kind of insurance? 0-1 w/ 8.14 ERA insurance. I could understand if you just don't want to give up BMac because he's a top pitching prospect and will eventually be good, but don't give me this insurance excuse. The only insurance BMac provided this year was a worm body and an arm to throw the ball to the plate. If El Duque goes down, god forbid, Jon Adkins can step in and provide better insurance than BMac did.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
If El Duque goes down, god forbid, Jon Adkins can step in and provide better insurance than BMac did.

You were lookin good until you stretched it at the end there. BMAC is better than Adkins as a starter.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
You were lookin good until you stretched it at the end there.  BMAC is better than Adkins as a starter.

Right now? I would disagree. Adkins has been at the major league level. He's pitched here, and pitched relatively well. Last season 62 IP and a 4.65 ERA. If we need a SP for 2-3 starts with El Duque on the shelf, I would have more confidence in Adkins than BMac, personally.

EDIT: We don't need a dominant starter for those 2-3 starts. We just need a pitcher that will keep us in the game for 5 innings and then turn it over to the pen. Brandon continually gave up large leads and the 8 HR's in 24 innings is well, not good. Heck you could take Adkins for 4 and Jenks for 2 if need-be. I guess the main point is, BMac is no insurance.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
Why are a bunch of people nervous about giving up both Contreras and BMac?  BMac's El Duque's insurance?  What kind of insurance?  0-1 w/ 8.14 ERA insurance.  I could understand if you just don't want to give up BMac because he's a top pitching prospect and will eventually be good, but don't give me this insurance excuse.  The only insurance BMac provided this year was a worm body and an arm to throw the ball to the plate.  If El Duque goes down, god forbid, Jon Adkins can step in and provide better insurance than BMac did.

i was one of the people who said we cant lose him due to the fact that he was insurance, and in thinking about what you said.....ill flip flop, you are actually completely right. munoz could even be used if not adkins, hes been throwing well at AAA.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
Why are a bunch of people nervous about giving up both Contreras and BMac?  BMac's El Duque's insurance?  What kind of insurance?  0-1 w/ 8.14 ERA insurance.  I could understand if you just don't want to give up BMac because he's a top pitching prospect and will eventually be good, but don't give me this insurance excuse.  The only insurance BMac provided this year was a worm body and an arm to throw the ball to the plate.  If El Duque goes down, god forbid, Jon Adkins can step in and provide better insurance than BMac did.

Exactly. McCarthy is not a ML starter right now, therefore he is not isurance for EL Duque. I would do JC-McCarthy-Sweeney 4 Schmidt-Vizquel if it's on the table right now. I am not convinced that McCarthy will be a good ML starter yet, he appears at least a year or 2 away, and even then it's no guarantee. Besides, do we need another tall RH who throws in the low 90's w/ a good breaking ball? We already have JG and Garcia for that. If McCarthy threw 95+ i would be hesitant to move him, but his fastball has NO movement, and until he can develop a 2 seamer and/or cutter, he will be hit hard in the ML's unless he has perfect control. Schmidt, on the other hand, is a legit #1 starter who's been to the WS and can dominate. If anybody watched the Cruds game last nite, you would have seen him shutdown there offense, who's been on fire of late, at wrigley w/ the ball carrying. To me that was very impressive, also we get him for next year as well. This is a no brainer for KW if the Giants are willing to do it. But I'd be very hesitant to include Anderson or Young in the deal.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
Ok ESPN News sucked it just said we were interested.

Yeah pretty much. It was like 3 seconds:

"The White Sox say they ARE interested in Jason Schmidt."

Thats it.