Joe Randa News

KevHead0881

With all the Burnett and Schmidt talk going on around here, the Joe Randa talk has died down recently. But, I was watching the Reds/Rockies game (Free trial of MLB Extra Bases), and they mentioned a handfull of scouts that were attending the game. One of them was from the White Sox. Now, I can only assume that they're scouting Joe Randa, but Eric Milton is pitching too, so they may be looking at him as well (kind of uneasy about that).

Anyways, with Crede's back issues and struggles at the plate, I think a move for Randa could be a good one. Not to mention that I don't think we'd have to give up a ton for him.

Your thoughts?

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
With all the Burnett and Schmidt talk going on around here, the Joe Randa talk has died down recently.  But, I was watching the Reds/Rockies game (Free trial of MLB Extra Bases), and they mentioned a handfull of scouts that were attending the game.  One of them was from the White Sox.  Now, I can only assume that they're scouting Joe Randa, but Eric Milton is pitching too, so they may be looking at him as well (kind of uneasy about that).

Anyways, with Crede's back issues and struggles at the plate, I think a move for Randa could be a good one.  Not to mention that I don't think we'd have to give up a ton for him.

Your thoughts?

Milton was just signed by them this off-season and it is doubtful they are trading him this year. If the sox ever got milton i may just quit watching them... i know at the very least i would not watch any game he ever started.

Never heard about that randa rumor though...

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
Milton was just signed by them this off-season and it is doubtful they are trading him this year. If the sox ever got milton i may just quit watching them... i know at the very least i would not watch any game he ever started.

Never heard about that randa rumor though...

Like I said, I'm only assuming that they're looking at Randa. With about half of the Reds team on the trading block, it could very well be somebody else.

It's gonna become pretty obvious that Crede will not be able to play everyday with 2 herniated discs in his back. Now, I love Pablo and his team-first attitude, but for those 2 games a week where Crede and his back need a rest, Ozuna won't cut it. Not for a team who needs some offense. I don't know if Randa is the answer, he could very well be that guy to play 2-3 times a week, but I don't want to be sitting come early September and get news that Joe needs back surgery and then be pretty much f-ed with Pablo there for the stretch run and playoffs. That would be killer. I don't think KW is willing to do that, and I hope he lands a viable second option.

Today while watching that game on mlb extra innings (love this free trial thing) the rockies announcers were criticizing how randa was playing right next to the bag and then the ball got by him when it was hit to him. Somehow it was called a single. Doesnt look even close to crede defensively.

If I were the White Sox scouts I'd be getting a line on everybody from Colorado and Cincinnati. The Rockies have started moving players, and it's a good bet the Reds will too.

My guess is, the White Sox have a pretty good idea of what Joe Randa can and cannot do. They probably don't need a scout there to specifically watch Randa, and I doubt they were.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 03:35 AM)
If I were the White Sox scouts I'd be getting a line on everybody from Colorado and Cincinnati.  The Rockies have started moving players, and it's a good bet the Reds will too.

My guess is, the White Sox have a pretty good idea of what Joe Randa can and cannot do.  They probably don't need a scout there to specifically watch Randa, and I doubt they were.

The thing we haven't really talked a whole lot about with Randa is, he'd cost us another roster spot, meaning Timo and Willie would both have to be sent down, not just one or the other. And, while I really am not as much of a fan of being able to play a bunch of positions as Ozzie is, your basically losing one position for Randa. Say, you lose 2B and CF capabilities with Harris if you trade for Randa. And, same with Timo, except LF/RF.

Like I said -- it doesn't really worry me all that much, but I could see it being a concern.

This is a valid point. However, the only reason Willie is on the roster right now is because of Crede's back problems. With Pablo the only IF backup, Willie has to be here in case Crede goes down, and Pablo needs to step into 3B. Randa would solve the problem of having a Crede backup and Pablo can focus on his more natural MIF spots. Send Timo down for Gload and you have your LF/RF covered as well as 1B. Willie is a drain on the team and I really really want him off the team pronto.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
Ya throwing left handed is a problem

And I wouldn't say he can play the OF.  He can stand out there and catch weak flyballs, but thats about it

I guess that means he couldn't be a catcher either. He is an excellent first baseman. Charlotte also has leo Daigle, he's 25, playing third. He was brought up from winston Salem high A where he was hit .362 with 24hr 24dbls and had driven in 85 in 269 ab. THey moved him to Charlotte aaa where he has to reprove himself but so far has got his average up to .282 while showing some power. He was playing 1b /3b and is being used more at 3rd at Charlotte. Probably not ready but one can always hope....................Better than paying 8 million a year to a person who bats 239 and is signed for 3 years by the fighting fish..

Leo Daigle :lol: -- No contending team should ever have him anywhere near the active roster. Let's not forget the 40-man implications a drug induced Daigle move would create.

---

I don't want Randa. If you're going to pick somebody up from the Reds whose name doesn't rhyme with 'done' than it better ryhme with "F'real?"

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 02:47 AM)
Leo Daigle :lol: -- No contending team should ever have him anywhere near the active roster. Let's not forget the 40-man implications a drug induced Daigle move would create.

---

I don't want Randa. If you're going to pick somebody up from the Reds whose name doesn't rhyme with 'done' than it better ryhme with "F'real?"

40 man implications? YOu wouldn't give a guy who hits with power and average a chance. When we go to 40 man the sox will bring him up if he's doing well. I could give a damn what his past performance was but if he's turned the corne bring him up. The sox are the slowest when it comes to trying out their minor league talent.. We end up sending them in a deal somewhere else instead of getting the benefit of their play..

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
40 man implications? YOu wouldn't give a guy who hits with power and average a chance. When we go to 40 man the sox will bring him up if he's doing well.  I could give a damn what his past performance was but if he's turned the corne  bring him up.  The sox are the slowest when it comes to trying out their minor league talent.. We end up sending them in a deal somewhere else instead of getting the benefit of their play..

He is not ready...