GAME THREAD 7-17-05 SOX vs INJUNS

NOAA says it is leftovers from Dennis. We had them here in Spfld this last week. Thundershowers and bright sun on and off all day long, every day...

AWUS81 KCLE 171501

RWSCLE

LATE MORNING OHIO WEATHER STORY

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH

11 AM EDT SUN JUL 17 2005

DENNIS CONTINUES TO AFFECT THE WEATHER ACROSS OHIO.

HUMID WEATHER CONDITIONS CONTINUE ACROSS OHIO THIS MORNING.

TEMPERATURES WERE MAINLY IN THE 70S...BUT SO WERE THE DEW

POINTS. MUCH NEEDED RAIN ALSO FELL THIS MORNING...24 HOUR

RAINFALL AMOUNTS RANGED FROM 1.97 IN ELMORE TO A TRACE IN

YOUNGSTOWN.

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THIS

AFTERNOON. SOME OF THE STORMS MAY PRODUCE HEAVY RAINFALL

AND SOME LOCAL FLOODING IN LOW LYING AREAS AND UNDERPASSES.

TEMPERATURES WILL REACH INTO THE MID AND UPPER 80S WITH DEW

POINTS IN THE UPPER 60S AND LOWER 70S. OVERNIGHT TEMPERATURES

WILL FALL INTO THE LOWER AND MID 70S WITH DEW POINTS IN THE 70S.

THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR SLEEPING.

MORE OF THE SAME CAN BE EXPECTED FOR MONDAY...WITH SLIGHTLY LESS

HUMID CONDITIONS ON TUESDAY.

$$

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
When Elarton was in the bullpen with the Astros, he was awesome.  He looked better than Oswalt did when Oswalt pitched out of their pen.  We're in a bad situation if this rains lasts too long.  No reason to risk putting Garland back into the game.

I'm trying to think what they can do. Cotts pitched again yesterday if I think right (so two games for him and he's one guy than can go multiple innings, but probably wouldn't be able to go too much today). Viz would be available or so I'd assume (but he also has worked 2 straight games).

Regardless, if the delay is much more over an hour I'd probably tell Jon to sit down and wait for his next start. Hell, if Duque was activated I'd consider rolling him out for the rest of the game and opting to call up someone to start tomorrow.

The thing I fear is the team having to use the pen for 8 innings and than they'll have nothing left in the tank for tomorrow's game against Detroit.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
The thing I fear is the team having to use the pen for 8 innings and than they'll have nothing left in the tank for tomorrow's game against Detroit.

Especially with Duque going. Don't forget that Hermanson might not be available today. I'm beginning to think it might be in our best interest that if this delay goes for another hour or so, we'd rather it just get cancelled.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
Especially with Duque going.  Don't forget that Hermanson might not be available today.  I'm beginning to think it might be in our best interest that if this delay goes for another hour or so, we'd rather it just get cancelled.

No, not that a pitch has been thrown it was a 38 minute delay, which isn't too bad at all. Garland should be alright (thats just like a long inning). But I would probably have him on a shorter rope (pitch count wise).

Now if the Sox go on to pound out hits or something the rest of the inning and it turns into an even longer delay, that would be another story.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
No, not that a pitch has been thrown it was a 38 minute delay, which isn't too bad at all.  Garland should be alright (thats just like a long inning).  But I would probably have him on a shorter rope (pitch count wise). 

Now if the Sox go on to pound out hits or something the rest of the inning and it turns into an even longer delay, that would be another story.

Inning over no need to worry

Haven't been able to watch the last few games. Just looking at gameday a couple times to see the score and checking out the box scores at night. It's great to see them doing this (without actually seeing them). Can't stick around long, but I of course hope for more of the same.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
Frank really seems to be in a funk having consistent swings at the plate.  He just needs to stick with one approach, and go from there.

Why don't you call him up and tell him that. I'm sure he'd take it to heart!!!!

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
Why don't you call him up and tell him that. I'm sure he'd take it to heart!!!!

Well, when Hawk is laughing at the approach, you know there's something to it. I'm not criticizing Frank, just making a pretty simple observation that he's having a hell of a time trying to find a consistent approach at the plate.