Anyone think Rowand is almost done with the Sox?

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
No he shouldn't.  Rowand is 5 times the defensive player in center field than Brian Anderson is.  No knock on Anderson, but screw that, there is absolutely zero reason for the White Sox to move Aaron Rowand from CF. 

Only time he gets moved is if Torri Hunter or Andruw Jones find there way to Chicago.

Brian Anderson is every bit as good as Rowand and has a better arm in CF.... also add in the fact Rowand is a natural corner fielder and Anderson a natural CF....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
His ops is great, he can get on base and when he hits, he hits the ball hard, problem is he doesn't hit to much.  I know some people think batting average is overrated but you have to be able to hit your way on base at times and Dunn's average with runners in scoring position is just brutal.  Dunn's good but I personally don't think he's great.

:cheers

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
Brian Anderson is every bit as good as Rowand and has a better arm in CF.... also add in the fact Rowand is a natural corner fielder and Anderson a natural CF....

Short answer...no, not even close. I've seen the two play and quite frankly, Rowand is basically as good as it gets out there.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Short answer...no, not even close.  I've seen the two play and quite frankly, Rowand is basically as good as it gets out there.

I've never seen Anderson play but it is very hard to be better than Aaron in center.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
Short answer...no, not even close.  I've seen the two play and quite frankly, Rowand is basically as good as it gets out there.

Ive seen the 2 play and I think your are overating Rowand a bit and underating Anderson.... I love Rowand... and no way in hell would I want to lose him like some posters think... but defensively Id rather have Anderson in CF and Rowand in RF than the other way around.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
Ive seen the 2 play and I think your are overating Rowand a bit and underating Anderson.... I love Rowand... and no way in hell would I want to lose him like some posters think... but defensively Id rather have Anderson in CF and Rowand in RF than the other way around.

So if Anderson has the better arm wouldn't that be well suited for right?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)

I'm not under-valuing him. Rowand gets as good of jump as any centerfielder in baseball. He has the strongest arm in the organization (well Dye may have something to say), and he flat out is balls out all the time.

Anderson is very smooth out in the field and I do think he could be an above average cf, but he'll be the one playing RF, not Rowand. Thats if Anderson is in the organization next year too.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)

I have not seen Anderson play center field at all but Rowand has become to good of a centerfielder to kick him out of that position. If Anderson were ever going to be the centerfielder over Aaron, Aaron would have to lose that job or Brian would have to earn it, not have it just given to him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
I have not seen Anderson play center field at all but Rowand has become to good of a centerfielder to kick him out of that position.  If Anderson were ever going to be the centerfielder over Aaron, Aaron would have to lose that job or Brian would have to earn it, not have it just given to him.

It would be like that talk early in the off-season of Pods replacing Rowand in CF. I was throwing up at the thought of that.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
It would be like that talk early in the off-season of Pods replacing Rowand in CF.  I was throwing up at the thought of that.

Me too! Especially considering the reason at the time was they wanted to save Rowand from having to exert himself too much in the outfield. Considering that Pods is the speed guy, that reasoning made no sense to me at all. Thankfully, it worked out well.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)

Nothing else to say but well, you are wrong. That's the nicest way to put it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
It would be like that talk early in the off-season of Pods replacing Rowand in CF.  I was throwing up at the thought of that.

It was funny when Hawk said Pods would be CF at Soxfest.

I went straight up to the mic, with Pods on stage and told Hawk that Aaron would be the CF on this team. (With no offense to Pods of course.)

Hawk just kinda sat there and said we'll see.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
It was funny when Hawk said Pods would be CF at Soxfest.

I went straight up to the mic, with Pods on stage and told Hawk that Aaron would be the CF on this team.  (With no offense to Pods of course.)

Hawk just kinda sat there and said we'll see.

I remember that, Scott basically said the same thing we all were at the time, that Aaron had earned it and he's a great centerfielder and that he(Scott) had no problem moving over to left.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
Well the difference is Pods is a crap fielder, just has good speed.

Scott's definitely a bad centerfielder but the point remains you don't move a top 5 defensive centerfielder out of his position for a aaa callup.

Pods can barely play Left he would suck it center and does when he plays it. IMO Pods would be a much better fielder if he was more agressive there are plenty of catchabal balls that go to the track and as soon and pods hit the track he stops and backoffs and waits for the ball to bounce back to him. Rowand gives it his all and wants to catch everyball hit into the outfield i.e the play in left on thursday or friday.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
Pods can barely play Left he would suck it center and does when he plays it. IMO Pods would be a much better fielder if he was more agressive there are plenty of catchabal balls that go to the track and as soon and pods hit the track he stops and backoffs and waits for the ball to bounce back to him. Rowand gives it his all and wants to catch everyball hit into the outfield i.e the play in left on thursday or friday.

:huh:

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
Dunn has a .390 OBP this year and a. 566 slugging (6th in the NL).  Overall his OPS is .956, which is 5th in the NL.  So, I wouldn't complain that much about his batting average.

Here is also an interesting article

http://www.baseballmusings.com/archives/009464.php

I'm not advocating trading Rowand, but I have to defend Dunn.

That's a real great article... Thanks for posting it. I'd talk a little more about it, but it doesn't really apply to the thread.

While I believe that any talk of Rowand being bumped from CF by anyone in the Sox organization is nuts, at this point, I can see Rowand being traded. You have to trade value to get value and this off season a Rowand trade wouldn't shock me.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 08:11 AM)
While I believe that any talk of Rowand being bumped from CF by anyone in the Sox organization is nuts, at this point, I can see Rowand being traded.  You have to trade value to get value and this off season a Rowand trade wouldn't shock me.

That's my position as well, if there's a move out there that is going to make the Sox better by giving up Aaron Rowand, they are going to do it. I know people are going to say we are 60-29, but is that because of Aaron Rowand? No it isn't. I'm going to wait to see how he does in the 2nd half before making a definitive judgement on him, but in my mind he needs to start hitting for some more power and improving that K/BB ratio in order for him to stay a starter long - term on this team. That's why the Sox are getting linked to players like Ken Griffey Jr. in the media.

Now on Anderson, I don't know what side I'm on regarding which position he would play in the majors next season, if he did play. I've heard people from Randar to 101 say he should be a real good CF and that he's better than Aaron, while others like Jason and Alex say that Rowand should definitely be the guy in CF. Because I haven't seen Anderson in CF myself, I can't make a decision on that.