The "Official" EAT CROW Thread

RibbieRubarb

Post your links to past threads heralding the demise of the 2005 White Sox.

I figured this will keep the board clear of "Bumped" threads. Which could be confusing to some. ;)

Some of my faves:

Dmitri Young's prediction on the AL Central coming down to the Indians and the Tigers

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32017

Baseball Prospectus predicting our 4th place finish.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31291

Minny sports writers trying to stir up controversey during Spring Training with AJ

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31411

Edited by RibbieRubarb

Some entries from my short-lived FireGuillen.com blog:

That's it, folks

Hidden in all of the hype about Dye and Hermanson (and only the White Sox would create hype about those two) signing on as FA's, GM Kenny Williams made an unusually honest statement to the media: the Sox had signed their last free agent of the offseason. In fact, he specifically mentioned that all money saved by dumpting Koch, Valentin, and Ordoñez was spent -- debunking one of the greatest myths the optimists have been spreading about the White Sox payroll.

So, yes, we have another bullpen arm and a right fielder. Well, only sort of. Hermanson choked in several pressure situations for the Giants last year, and Dye is injury-prone (he'll fit right in!). Even if they do live up to expectations, however, consider the following holes that still exist:

1) a third baseman who can hit, field, remember what game he's playing, etc.

2) a second baseman of similar characteristics

3) a fifth starter

4) not one, but TWO catchers

In addition, all of this assumes that guys who had potential career years last year (Rowand, Uribe, specifically) did not in fact have career years and could duplicate their results. Such an assumption would be ridiculous, but that has not prevented the Williams regime from making it in the past. Anyone remember Jeff Liefer?

Adios Caballo

Hoo boy...Kenny Williams strikes again. Carlos Lee gets sent to the Brewers for Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaino. That is, a circa .290 hitter for a .244 "leadoff" guy and an obscure reliever.

Yeah, yeah, Podsednik has 70 stolen bases. Sure, grinder, Ozzieball player, whatever. First off, he can't steal first base, no matter how much speed he has, and I just don't see a .244 hitter being that great of a tablesetter. Moreover, even if he does get on base, what's so great about being on second instead of first if there's nobody to drive you in? You're still going to go sit down in the dugout after Konerko, Everett, or Crede pop up.

Well, perhaps there's a bright side in the fact that roughly seven million dollars got dumped, allowing for some sort of Free Agent singing, right? Not quite. I quote a comment Williams made earlier today:

"We are in the game now, we now have the flexibility to make a move in June or July if we have to. "

(emphasis mine)

You heard it there. No Clement, no Odalis Perez. No fifth starter. No team that would still be in contention by June or July.

I had the Sox picked for 4th place, 70 wins. It seems they'll probably do better than that.

Too lazy to go back and find them, but I know I posted some panic posts after the A's series last week, no matter how many times we stumble against them I can't get it through my head that games against the A's should be taken completely out of context

:banghead

Also, remembering what you guys did to the guy who owned the anti-Hawk domain: don't worry about my ownership of fireguillen.com. It's set to expire at the end of this season and I have no intention of renewing it.

At this point, I'm pretty close to buying signozzieforlife.com or perhaps ozzieforgovernor.com (he's a US citizen now, isn't he? He will be soon, anyway. Watch out Blaggs)

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
Also, remembering what you guys did to the guy who owned the anti-Hawk domain: don't worry about my ownership of fireguillen.com. It's set to expire at the end of this season and I have no intention of renewing it.

At this point, I'm pretty close to buying signozzieforlife.com or perhaps ozzieforgovernor.com (he's a US citizen now, isn't he? He will be soon, anyway. Watch out Blaggs)

you should hold on to it. Someone's going to buy it for the express purpose of being a douche. You have the best weapon to stop them.

Although I didn't think they'd be this good, I was actually pretty optimistic about our chances this year. I was pretty wrong on a few players though.

From March 20:

I really think that Walker would be the wiser choice. I like Cotts, but I think he'd be better served starting every 5 days in AAA. It's one thing if Cotts played a significant role in our bullpen, but it's not like we used him a whole lot last year. And IMHO, I don't think he's got the makeup for the bullpen. It'll be best for both parties if he gets back into starting mode.

I don't like to put too much stock into spring performances, but Walker appears to throw strikes with all of his pitches. I really don't know much about him, but from what I've seen, I don't see how he could be a downgrade from Cotts.

From March 28:

I think he'll be a serviceable 5th starter, but few players have driven me as crazy as Jon Garland has throughout his career. He is the epitome of inconsistant.

I'm an idiot! :chair

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
Although I didn't think they'd be this good, I was actually pretty optimistic about our chances this year.  I was pretty wrong on a few players though.

From March 20:

From March 28:

I'm an idiot!  :chair

Nah...you're not an idiot. Jon never showed us anything more than that.

The Idiots are those who refused to believe he finally matured after his hot start.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
Nah...you're not an idiot. Jon never showed us anything more than that.

The Idiots are those who refused to believe he finally matured after his hot start.

Off topic but that Wedding Crashers deal you have in your sig is HILARIOUS!!!!!

A couple of days ago I went back and found all of the Neal Cotts sucks threads and those were a great laugh. It is funny how many people want to hate a guy after such a short amount of time. Even funnier than that are the players like Cotts and Garland who guys gave up on and wanted traded are carrying this team in 2005. When you look at some of the other players in their same positions right now, you know you just have to be patient with guys like Bajenaru and McCarthy and give them a REAL chance to learn the major leagues and contribute.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
A couple of days ago I went back and found all of the Neal Cotts sucks threads and those were a great laugh.  It is funny how many people want to hate a guy after such a short amount of time.  Even funnier than that are the players like Cotts and Garland who guys gave up on and wanted traded are carrying this team in 2005.  When you look at some of the other players in their same positions right now, you know you just have to be patient with guys like Bajenaru and McCarthy and give them a REAL chance to learn the major leagues and contribute.

What about the threads that say SS sucks and we should lose him? How much longer do we have to wait for that shoe to drop?

:P

We'll see how good Cotts really is when he has to pitch to Big Pappi this weekend. :D

In all seriousness though, sometimes people lose patience with players not living up to their potential...and you cannot blame them, that's part of being a fan. There is nothing worse than having to live through years of a player not living up to their potential, while having to shell out big bucks because of said potential. Ahem...Joe Borchard. Biggest. Waste. Of. Money. EVER.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
A couple of days ago I went back and found all of the Neal Cotts sucks threads and those were a great laugh.  It is funny how many people want to hate a guy after such a short amount of time.  Even funnier than that are the players like Cotts and Garland who guys gave up on and wanted traded are carrying this team in 2005.  When you look at some of the other players in their same positions right now, you know you just have to be patient with guys like Bajenaru and McCarthy and give them a REAL chance to learn the major leagues and contribute.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)

you are a bigger flip-flopper than john kerry and hillary clinton combined. you go from fireguillen.com to signozzieforlife.com? find some guns, then stick by them, for god's sake!