our record against probable 1st round playoff foes

Greg Hibbard

Anyone else concerned about this? Yes, we are 30-5 against the Central. Great. We are not going to face a Central foe in the first round. We could be 60-5 against the Central for all I care. Assuming we win the division (yeah, I'm ready to assume that, so shoot me, and yeah, I "jinxed" us last week with the same talk), we will face one of these six teams (sox record against):

Boston (0-0)

New York (0-0)

Baltimore (2-2)

Anaheim (4-3)

Texas (2-3)

Oakland (2-7)

Out record out of the division is only at 31-24, not impressive by any stretch.

Why is it that we can beat the crap out of our own division but haven't had as much success outside? Even Tampa took a series from us down at the Trop...

Also, I wonder what the best all time divisional record is? The Sox have got to have the best one after 35 games....hard to imagine a better one than .857 winning percentage

FINALLY.

I don't think it's too soon to talk about playoffs. So let's quit spooging about beating up on the central and take on the biger fish. August will tell us a lot, unfortunately it comes after the trade deadline.

Ana. and Balt. worry me.

I'm kinda rooting for the Twins in the WC, if it keeps the Yankees out. We have 7 games against the Twins in late oct. maybe we can (wink wink) rest our starters for some of those games.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
FINALLY.

I don't think it's too soon to talk about playoffs. So let's quit spooging about beating up on the central and take on the biger fish. August will tell us a lot, unfortunately it comes after the trade deadline.

Ana. and Balt. worry me.

I'm kinda rooting for the Twins in the WC, if it keeps the Yankees out.  We have 7 games against the Twins in late oct. maybe we can (wink wink) rest our starters for some of those games.

I think I want Baltmore or NY to get the wildcard, so we play them...I don't want to play a west coast team in the first round...l like our chances better against NY

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
What needs to happen for us to face Ana. in the 1st round??

The Twins or Indians would have to win the WC and LAA would have to finish with the worst record of the 3 division winners. This is assuming we finish with the best record.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
It scares me that Oakland is 2 1/2 out of the WC, although my gut says they are not talented enough to make it.

I agree, if we have to go there...uh, oh. :bang

It would be the ultimate 'curse buster' (don't slam me, I know its a cub term)...we'd have to go there and exercise the demons...or go home early.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
It scares me that Oakland is 2 1/2 out of the WC, although my gut says they are not talented enough to make it.

My gut says Texas will fade and Oakland will be right there. It would then depend on how AL East stacks up. I don't count Oakland out by any means.