Levine on Silvy and Carmen @ 11

AddisonStSox

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
Figured I'd give this it's own thread.  Who knows.  Perhaps something he says will merit its own discussion.

He'll also be taking phone calls if any of you are bored.

Those tickets are mine!

Levine said Kenny has talked to Arizona and San Francisco about moving Takatsu; called him a non-contributor and said he needs to be moved.

Levine thinks Adkins will be brought up eventually.

Two situations today:

1) need to re-activate El Duque today

2) Ross Gload's rehab assignment is over today.

First caller (a dumb cubs fan) Uhhhh Uhhhh Something in the paper. Uhhh Uhhh The marlins are sliding, I dont think they are sliding, Something about the cubs getting Juan Pieeree... Uhhhh

Silvy wets himself getting all excited.

Next question. Can we take a sox caller please. We dont care about who will be playing CF for the flubs.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
Bruce says Orioles are close to getting Burnett, don'put too much into that because he has the same sources for the Orioles that we do: the internet.

I wouldn't be suprised if they got Burnett. I could see where the Marlins would want McCarthy in the deal and KW won't do it, while Orioles are willing to put in their young pitcher Cabrera, that would give them the edge IMO

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
I hope the Orioles get Burnett, because the package we are talking about is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpaying for a mediocre pitcher.

^

just because he's the best pitcher on the market, doesn't neccesarily make him *THAT good.

our rotation is fine how it is. If we can find a deal, then fine, take it. Not worth overpaying for something we really don't need.

I'm wiling to overpay for a utility infielder and a reliever, not a shady starter

One of the other threads linked an ESPN article saying it's Julio, Bigbie (sp?) and Penn, so that would definitely mean a Sox offer of Contreras and Marte would have to include McCarthy, but IMO that is WAY too much for Burnett, even if they sign him to an extension (the Orioles would be taking Lowell too)

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
^

just because he's the best pitcher on the market, doesn't neccesarily make him *THAT good. 

our rotation is fine how it is.  If we can find a deal, then fine, take it.  Not worth overpaying for something we really don't need.

I'm wiling to overpay for a utility infielder and a reliever, not a shady starter

Well the Count will get to pitch against Boston. That should be the best barometer for how far he has come. They are a team that absolutely has PWNED him big time and someone we will face in the playoffs possibly.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
One of the other threads linked an ESPN article saying it's Julio, Bigbie (sp?) and Penn, so that would definitely mean a Sox offer of Contreras and Marte would have to include McCarthy, but IMO that is WAY too much for Burnett, even if they sign him to an extension (the Orioles would be taking Lowell too)

I don't know what to think of Lowell. Is he having a Konerko-esque fluke bad season, or is something seriously wrong with him and he is not going to be what he was?

Levine said the Sox would have had to give up 4 players on the current roster for Burnett. Now I ask who? Count (obviously,) Marte (probably,) Crede? Harris? Ozuna? Carl? Way too much for a guy with an average career?

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
Levine said the Sox would have had to give up 4 players on the current roster for Burnett.  Now I ask who?  Count (obviously,) Marte (probably,) Crede? Harris? Ozuna?  Carl?  Way too much for a guy with an average career?

I think the first two for sure, then Crede if the deal involves Lowell, and I would guess Carl or Rowand

If a that's the rough sketch of any deal that is WAY to much and I would rather see the Sox wait and see if a few more teams fall out of it before July 31st and open up more names on the market

Edited by SoxFan562004

David (Lincoln): Steve, if your in Kenny Williams' position what would you do? The key to the Sox success has been their depth and they have a few players coming back from injuries to help further the depth (Hernandez, Marte, Gload). I guess my view is really only to move unless you see something big because the chemistry on the team has been fantastic.

Steve Phillips: (12:28 PM ET ) Williams has done a tremendous job. I have so much appreciation for what he has done. He had a vision, put a plan in place, executed and now they are managing it as good as can be. The White Sox should consider either adding complimentary pieces .. middle relief depth, bat off the bench, etc. ... or a significant, All-Star caliber player .. possibly a closer, like Billy Wagner, if he becomes available. To add any other pieces might be risky. But I think they need to do something. Teams that don't make moves because of chemistry have logic for their plan, but players look around and see other teams getting better. If a team doesn't make a move, the teams feels like everyone is catching up. Even a small move makes you feel like you are moving forward. The only other spot that is a ? is 3B. Joe Randa might be a consideration.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
I think the first two for sure, then Crede if the deal involves Lowell, and I would guess Carl or Rowand

If a that's the rough sketch of any deal that is WAY to much and I would rather see the Sox wait and see if a few more teams fall out of it before July 31st and open up more names on the market

I wouldnt give up more than the Count and Marte for the AJ rental.

Rowand or Carl is way too much. We need Carl as insurance. We dont need to be in the injury place we were last year. Carl seems fine with his role and gives us a great option.