Latroy hawkins to the Whitesox??

Cubs Suck23

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
f*** no, and I dont want to hear the s*** from cubs fans about how we bought their garbage, please please please dont do this KW

Just tell them the Cubs are too stupid to know how to use him. I wouldn't worry about what Cub fans have to say at point of time in 2005.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Con Creete (CHC): I heard (and hope) the Cubs are looking to acquire bullpen. Who is out there? The only names I've heard are Mike MacDougal, and David Weathers.

Steve Phillips: (12:38 PM ET ) There are more guys available. I expect possibly Spire or Bautista. Baez. LaTroy Hawkins maybe, but not sure you want him back! Guardardo might be available although he has a no-trade clause. Braden Looper could be available depending on the Mets. Jose Mesa and Rick White from the Pirates are available. Fuentes with Colorado is drawing inquiries. There will be more quality relievers available than starters. I agree the Cubs need an 8th inning pitcher to win the Wild Card.

Edited by Cubs Suck23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
Although it would be funny if Hawkins came back to Chicago and performed well. Cubs fans would be PISSED.

if they're worried about chemistry this would be an odd move, LaTroy is a bit prickly, but that may be just towards the media, and he might be good in the clubhouse

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Hawkins has pitched very good lately.. He is alot better than Shingo.

Um, where exactly do you get the idea that Hawkins has pitched a lot better lately?

Looking at his splits...since he went to the Giants, Opponents average against him has actually gone up from .250 with the Flubs to .262 with the Giants. His WHIP has gone up from 1.31 to 1.37. His ERA (this one is funny) with the Cubs was 3.32, with the Giants it has been 6.75 In June, his ERA was 21.00. People hit .308 against him in May and .467 against him in June.

What about the money. How can any fan have an opinion if we don't know what everyone is making?

Ozzie keeps looking over Shingos head for anyone else. Having an arm that Ozzie will use and is at least equal to Shingo sounds good to me.

Why worry about scrub fans, he had a 3.32 era for them this yr and a 2.63 era last yr and they didn't appreciate him, is it our fault that their GM and manager tried to make him a closer?

Btw, it also looks like he was hurting some earlier in the season also, he's been lights out since coming off the DL.

If we could get him for Shingo+ and Guardado for a Viz package, that'd make Cotts as the low man in the BP. How fricken awesome would that be!

Last 10 Games:

DATE OPP W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO

JUN 05 @NYM 0 0 5.14 0 0.0 2 1 0 0

JUN 08 KC 0 0 5.06 0 0.1 0 0 0 0

JUN 09 KC 0 0 5.48 0 1.2 3 2 1 2

JUL 04 CIN 0 0 5.79 0 0.1 1 1 1 1

JUL 06 CIN 0 0 5.55 0 1.0 2 0 0 2

JUL 07 CIN 0 0 5.33 0 1.0 0 0 0 0

JUL 09 STL 0 0 5.13 0 1.0 0 0 0 0

JUL 14 @LAD 0 0 4.88 0 1.1 1 0 1 3

JUL 16 @LAD 0 0 4.71 0 1.0 0 0 0 1

JUL 17 @LAD 0 0 4.71 1 1.0 0 0 0 0

Totals 0 0 4.15 1 8.2 9 4 3 9

If you don't want Hawkins cause he sucked as a Cub, you are totally neglecting the reason for his suckage. The Cubs used him as a closer. He cannot close ballgames. But IIRC, on the rare occasion that the Cubs used him correctly, he has some success in the middle innings and set-up role.

Remember, he sucked as a closer in Minnesota too. Once Everyday Eddie emerged as a quality closer, they moved LaTroy to setup man and he flourished. For simply swapping him with Shingo, I have little doubt that it would be an upgrade.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
If you don't want Hawkins cause he sucked as a Cub, you are totally neglecting the reason for his suckage.  The Cubs used him as a closer.  He cannot close ballgames.  But IIRC, on the rare occasion that the Cubs used him correctly, he has some success in the middle innings and set-up role.

Remember, he sucked as a closer in Minnesota too.  Once Everyday Eddie emerged as a quality closer, they moved LaTroy to setup man and he flourished.  For simply swapping him with Shingo, I have little doubt that it would be an upgrade.

Especially when you consider one of the anchors of our pen is himself a horrificially failed closer in Cliff Politte.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
Especially when you consider one of the anchors of our pen is himself a horrificially failed closer in Cliff Politte.

Plus AJ reuniting with Hawkins could be a good thing. If anyone remembers what Hawkins did as a good relief pitcher its AJ.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
Plus AJ reuniting with Hawkins could be a good thing.  If anyone remembers what Hawkins did as a good relief pitcher its AJ.

That's only thing I see as helping Hawkins find the pitcher he was. I would hope they talked to AJ to find out more on Latroy before rushing into this headlong.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
Plus AJ reuniting with Hawkins could be a good thing.  If anyone remembers what Hawkins did as a good relief pitcher its AJ.

No doubt...AJ could be the key...plus we wouldn't be giving up much. Shingo is done on this team, its that simple.

Ok, now that I've restarted my heart and had a few minutes to digest...

I think the trade is almost an even exchange, so what's the point?

Also, do you really see LaToya coming back to Chicago? Part of the reason he failed here was he couldn't handle the media's pressure cooker. I know it would be a different team and a different role, but do you see it going any better? You don't think the media is icing a hard on for him right now?

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
WSCR radio just said that the Sox are really close to sending Shingo to AZ  so i guess NO Hawkins

WSCR has been wrong countless times before. I remember when they announced the Sox had signed Dave Stewart. Turns out it was Dave Steib.

Lets see

Hawkins in the al central

hawkins being catched by pierzynski

hawkins being a setup man

He suceed in that role last time maybe he could this time but id give him 2-3 trys if he dosent do good then he is gone.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
If you don't want Hawkins cause he sucked as a Cub, you are totally neglecting the reason for his suckage.  The Cubs used him as a closer.  He cannot close ballgames.  But IIRC, on the rare occasion that the Cubs used him correctly, he has some success in the middle innings and set-up role.

Remember, he sucked as a closer in Minnesota too.  Once Everyday Eddie emerged as a quality closer, they moved LaTroy to setup man and he flourished.  For simply swapping him with Shingo, I have little doubt that it would be an upgrade.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that his last 2 apperances with the Cubs were in like 7th inning situations......and he went from nightmare to comedy.