Cubs Suck23

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
If we are considering trading Shingo for Hawkins, then the real question is ... who do you prefer on the 25 man roster, Hawkins or Jenks?

I would rather have hawkins that way Jenks can get more experience at tripleA instead of sitting for weeks

Assuming the Cubs didn't wreck him I would gladly take Latoya over Shingo.

You can't simply ignore Latoya's numbers prior to his Cub days. Maybe they were impacted by Wrigley or maybe they were trying to make him something he's not. But there's no question in mind that Latoya is a better option than Vizcaino or Shingo at this point.

Of course this would open the door at least for Omar talks. Someone we really need.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
If we are considering trading Shingo for Hawkins, then the real question is ... who do you prefer on the 25 man roster, Hawkins or Jenks?

So let's see, my options are:

A rookie with a 99 MPH fastball who has limited experience

A veteran guy with a dominant changeup who has struggled with his control all year

A guy with good but not incredible stuff who has been average to mediocre for 2 straight years.

That's pretty close to a tossup in my opinion. If I had to pick, I'd go with the guy with the 99 mph fastball, just because he has the best chance to be completely dominating, and he's not trying to "turn anything around", only to just adapt to the majors.

I may be wrong but haven't you started a lot of random rumor threads CS23?

I have noticed this too. They all seem to come from listening to the Giants flagship station. If that station is anything like the speculation-and-not-fact based Chicago sports radio stations, this is a waste of time.

I think it would be way cooler to have Stephan Hawking

On a scale of 1-10 this proposed trade is about a 2 or 3 in my book. Not earth trembling, not terrible. In fact it probably gives Kenny womthing to do so he doesn't f*** up something important.

At this point he is exec of the year, he can only go down.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
I have noticed this too.  They all seem to come from listening to the Giants flagship station.  If that station is anything like the speculation-and-not-fact based Chicago sports radio stations, this is a waste of time.

I think alot of stations throw alot of s*** out there and see what sticks. So they can say they were the first to report it

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
At this point he is exec of the year, he can only go down.

I was thinking exactly the same thing last night.

Last year, around the time of the Trading Deadline, the Dodgers were in first place in the AL West riding a hot bat in Beltre and a dynamite bullpen. They had at least a 5 game lead on the Giants, if not more.

Then Depodesta decided he had more work to do with his team and that they couldn't win as-is. So he made a deal with the Marlins, getting Brad Penny and Choi for LoDuca and Mota. He also grabbed Steve Finley from the Diamondbacks.

What happened next? The Dodgers rapidly started to crumble. Their vaunted bullpen started to struggle as Gagne became overworked from having to use his arm to make up for the absence of Mota. Their catching spot became a black hole. And they started to fall in the standings. They only won that division because of a grand slam by Finley on the last day of the year, when they had a comfortable lead a few months beforehand.

The Dodgers then were crushed by the Cardinals, and they've fallen apart since then. Gagne's injury is probably in large part due to the extra time he had to work last year...overworked and then hurt himself. Finley is gone. Penny is there, but certainly not an ace. Choi needs to face Radke more. And they're practically playing their entire Las Vegas team as their big league club.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that his last 2 apperances with the Cubs were in like 7th inning situations......and he went from nightmare to comedy.

You may be right. But I know last year, before Borowski went down, Hawkins was used primarily the same way he was used in Minnesota, and basically was just as good. He had a pretty good ERA last year (2.63) and he pitched 82 innings while only piling up 25 saves. I suspect that his good ERA stems mostly from his success in his limited role as setup man.

Of course, that was last year, and his confidence may be shot all together. I don't know. I still say that a Shingo for Hawkins deal would be a good one for us. If Hawkins still sucks, he can resume Shingo's role as a guy for mop-up duty.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
So let's see, my options are:

A rookie with a 99 MPH fastball who has limited experience

A veteran guy with a dominant changeup who has struggled with his control all year

A guy with good but not incredible stuff who has been average to mediocre for 2 straight years.

That's pretty close to a tossup in my opinion.  If I had to pick, I'd go with the guy with the 99 mph fastball, just because he has the best chance to be completely dominating, and he's not trying to "turn anything around", only to just adapt to the majors.

Avg to mediocre for 2 straight years.? '04 2.63 era, '05 cubs 3.32 era. That might not be league best #'s but it way above league avg.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that his last 2 apperances with the Cubs were in like 7th inning situations......and he went from nightmare to comedy.

In his last 7 appearances(6.1 IP) for the scrubs he gave up 1 run, a solo HR to Jermaine Dye.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
In his last 7 appearances(6.1 IP) for the scrubs he gave up 1 run, a solo HR to Jermaine Dye.

And how did he do before that? And how has he fared with SF when he switched to the mediocre NL west. He is garbage, pure and simple. Sometimes pitchers just get overused and old, and cant throw like they used to. He is one of those guys.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
And how did he do before that?  And how has he fared with SF when he switched to the mediocre NL west.  He is garbage, pure and simple. Sometimes pitchers just get overused and old, and cant throw like they used to.  He is one of those guys.

Well, I hate to break it to ya, but you're not gonna get much better for Shingo.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
Well, I hate to break it to ya, but you're not gonna get much better for Shingo.

Which is exactly why I would rather keep shingo. He not only has been a part of this team and has contributed to our success, but he is a built in support system for Iguchi as well. I dont want to make a move, just to make a move.

Id definately take Latroy if he's healthy and if he can return to his form from his Minnesota days. AJ and Latroy are very familiar with each other and AJ and Coop can help him out. He stunk it up cause stupid Cubs didnt know how to use him. Itbe be hard to take Politte out of his role as the prime set-up man with the way he is throwing though. Tough decisions

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
Which is exactly why I would rather keep shingo.  He not only has been a part of this team and has contributed to our success, but he is a built in support system for Iguchi as well.  I dont want to make a move, just to make a move.

While I agree with your reasoning, if Shingo's only purpose at the moment is to be a companion to Gooch, then I think we're wasting a roster spot. If Shingo played a significant role in our bullpen (by that I mean pitching more then once a week in mop-up duty) I'd say keep him around. Now, if your argument is that Ozzie should find more ways to use Shingo, then I'm for that. Although, that could be a tad scary.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
While I agree with your reasoning, if Shingo's only purpose at the moment is to be a companion to Gooch, then I think we're wasting a roster spot.  If Shingo played a significant role in our bullpen (by that I mean pitching more then once a week in mop-up duty) I'd say keep him around.  Now, if your argument is that Ozzie should find more ways to use Shingo, then I'm for that.  Although, that could be a tad scary.

With Hawkins current numbers, he is due for nothing but occasional mop up duty. I am more for letting Jenks hurl the ball at the plate than watching Hawkins give up runs.

Hawkins-4.55 ERA .254 BAA 1.38 WHIP

In SF 6.75 ERA .262 BAA

Shingo 5.97 ERA 1.60 WHIP .270 BAA

Their stats are pretty close, with Shingo performing better in June with a .133 BAA. It would just be a swap, with us losing a player and losing a piece of what has made us a first place team. I think its just making a move to make a move.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
Hawkins-4.55 ERA .254 BAA 1.38 WHIP

In SF 6.75 ERA .262 BAA

Shingo 5.97 ERA 1.60 WHIP .270 BAA

Their stats are pretty close, with Shingo performing better in June with a .133 BAA.  It would just be a swap, with us losing a player and losing a piece of what has made us a first place team.  I think its just making a move to make a move.

Shingo is a piece of what has made us a first place team????? Shouldnt that be in green.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
And how did he do before that?  And how has he fared with SF when he switched to the mediocre NL west.  He is garbage, pure and simple. Sometimes pitchers just get overused and old, and cant throw like they used to.  He is one of those guys.

As I said in the post before, he had a 3.32 era for the scrubs this yr.

As I also said, it appears he was hurting, he had an inflamed nerve in his elbow, and was put on the DL 5 games after being traded to SF, since coming off the DL he's had 7 straight scoreless appearances.