Shingo Takatsu

DukeNukeEm

KW gave a very open explanation on the Score. Basically, the way Ozzie was going to use him, Shingo’s innings were coming out of Bobby Jenks’. The think it would be better for Jenks to mop up and get his feet on the ground in the majors. Once Jenks is comfortable they think he can be something special.

-- my take is they want to use the last pitcher slot for development instead of a 36 year old.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he accepts an assignment to Charlotte he remains with the White Sox.

If he rejects an assignment to Charlotte the White Sox have 10 days to trade him. After the 10 days he becomes a free agent & the contract is null & void.

The White Sox have no financial obligations to Shingo after that.

With so many teams hurting for bullpen help I think he'll either be traded or decline the assignment to Charlotte.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
If he accepts an assignment to Charlotte he remains with the White Sox.

If he rejects an assignment to Charlotte the White Sox have 10 days to trade him.  After the 10 days he becomes a free agent & the contract is null & void.

The White Sox have no financial obligations to Shingo after that.

With so many teams hurting for bullpen help I think he'll either be traded or  decline the assignment to Charlotte.

I think Arizona will get their hands on him. Their bullpen is incredibly bad. Their bullpen ERA is worse than Boston's, and Boston is in the AL.

Shingo Takatsu: 1- Year worth 1M- will make 700K in 2004- includes 2005 Team option worth 2.525M or a 250K buyout- Option was EXERCISED by CHW on 10/28/04 Agent: Joe Urbon Service Time: 1.000

He doesn't have a no-trade clause. Why didn't they just send him down?

QUOTE(fry the twinkies @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
Shingo Takatsu: 1- Year worth 1M- will make 700K in 2004- includes 2005 Team option worth 2.525M or a 250K buyout- Option was EXERCISED by CHW on 10/28/04 Agent: Joe Urbon Service Time: 1.000

He doesn't have a no-trade clause. Why didn't they just send him down?

Prolly has something to do with the 40-man roster or something, I don't know how it works.

I forgot the waiver process. Because he never had any options he must clear waivers to return to Charlotte. I don't think these rules make much sense when it applies to these Japanese players. They are eligible to be rookies of the year but not given any options? I think they should be given at least 1 when they first sign with a MLB team.

In any case it's unlikely Shingo will clear waivers with the need for arms around the league. Some team will almost certainly claim him if Kenny doesn't trade him first. Why would a team trade for him? So they don't have to compete with other teams on the waiver wire.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

I forgot the waiver process.  Because he never had any options he must clear waivers to return to Charlotte.  I don't thing these rules make much sense when it applies to these Japanese players.  They are eligible to be rookies of the year but not given any options?  I think they should be given at least 1 when they first sign with a MLB team.

In any case it's unlikely Shingo will clear waivers with the need for arms around the league.  Some team will almost certainly claim him if Kenny doesn't trade him first.  Why would a team trade for him?  So they don't have to compete with other teams on the waiver wire.

I believe those waiver wire rules only apply after July 31.

QUOTE(fry the twinkies @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
I believe those waiver wire rules only apply after July 31.

You are correct. Designating for assignment basically means that the team is out of options on a player (or never had them to begin with).

Placing a player on waivers is a totally different situation.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
You are correct.  Designating for assignment basically means that the team is out of options on a player (or never had them to begin with).

Placing a player on waivers is a totally different situation.

Why don't the Sox have options, though? (Just repeating Jeckle's question, but I still don't get it.) The Yankees optioned Contreras to the minors at one point. I don't see what's different with Shingo's situation. Does Japanese pro baseball count towards the MLB 'years as a professional', or something like that?

The SOx just cleared another spot on the 40 man roster. If this doesn't make you think a move is on its way, I don't know what will.

Thats the only reason why the Sox make this move as opposed to optioning him to the minors (if they option him he stays on the 40 man roster, obviously the Sox want some more flexibility and removed him). Could be a pending trade or it could be Kenny knows he's gonna do something sooner or later so might as well just do it now (without having to waste an option on Jenks).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
The SOx just cleared another spot on the 40 man roster.  If this doesn't make you think a move is on its way, I don't know what will.

Very good call, I didn't even think about that.

The SOx just cleared another spot on the 40 man roster.  If this doesn't make you think a move is on its way, I don't know what will.

Thats the only reason why the Sox make this move as opposed to optioning him to the minors (if they option him he stays on the 40 man roster, obviously the Sox want some more flexibility and removed him).  Could be a pending trade or it could be Kenny knows he's gonna do something sooner or later so might as well just do it now (without having to waste an option on Jenks).

Jason, I agree on clearing a spot on the 40 man by deignating Shingo - good point. But there's no option wasted on Jenks, only one option is used for the entire year.

Good luck to Shingo, Im hoping he stays with the sox. Thanks Shingo for all the great games you pitched. That Gong gave us goose bumps knowing something great will happen esp. seeing oppo hitters whipping on your nasty frisbee.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
Jason, I agree on clearing a spot on the 40 man by deignating Shingo - good point.  But there's no option wasted on Jenks, only one option is used for the entire year.

Ya, but if the Sox don't designate Shingo, they have to send Jenks down (which would use up one of his options). Because they didn't have to send him down, Jenks will still carry 3 full options.

One of the most common sounds at U.S. Cellular Field during the 2004 season was the gong that announced the entrance of Shingo Takatsu into the game and, while the sound had become less prominent this season, the gong has now officially gone silent.

On Monday, the White Sox designated Takatsu for assignment to make room for the return of Orlando Hernandez from the disabled list.

Takatsu had struggled throughout the start of the season. He was 1-2 with a 5.97 ERA and eight saves in 31 appearances.

The decision was not an easy one for either manager Ozzie Guillen or general manager Ken Williams. Trying to make room for the return of Hernandez meant that one player would have to go and though many had suspected that it would be relief pitcher Bobby Jenks, the team went in another surprising direction.

"We just felt that at this time, with Ozzie being able to only work Shingo in situations that really weren't late-game situations, that we'd be better off trying to maximize Bobby's potential," Williams said. "He's a guy that's 97 to 100 [mph] with a lively fastball, an exploding fastball, a hard breaking ball. All he has to do, in my opinion, is get himself comfortable in his Major League shoes and throw strikes."

The potential for Jenks was just too much for the White Sox to overlook. Jenks pitched a scoreless ninth inning with two strikeouts in his Major League debut on July 6. He struggled in his second outing, giving up three runs in one-third of an inning, but Williams felt that developing Jenks in that role would be better than trying to get another quality bullpen pitcher.

"We've got something special that cannot only help us in the short term, but in the long term as well," Williams said of Jenks. "When you look out on the open market for those types of guys that possibly could be available toward the end of the month, you very quickly realize they're not available. They're not out there. If we can grow one of our own into the role with the time we have left, we're going to be better off."

The move might have been the best for the club, but that didn't mean it didn't cause some restless nights for Guillen.

"I fought long with it," Guillen said of the move. "[Takatsu] was a great teammate and he did a lot of great things for us. He was really special for me and it was hard to do what we did."

The news about Takatsu was not a complete shock as rumors had been floating around over the weekend about a possible trade of the right-handed pitcher. But it was still surprising for many of the players to hear news of Takatsu being designated for assignment.

"You hear something about him getting traded to a West Coast team, but for us to release him and not trade him, it's definitely a surprise," Mark Buehrle said. "He struggled a bit this year, but he has done an outstanding job for us."

The club now has 10 days to trade or release the right-hander.

Takatsu's interpreter told Japanese media that he is still mulling over what he will do in terms of his future plans.

While Guillen hopes that Takatsu will stay within the organization, he feels that there is a strong likelihood that another team will pick him up.

"The thing about Shingo is, Shingo's fine," Guillen said. "He's ready to go with any team. It wasn't about Shingo, it was about Jenks staying in the big leagues.

One is a lonely number: The departure of Takatsu leaves Tadahito Iguchi as the lone Japanese player on the White Sox roster.

Iguchi did not hear the news of Takatsu's departure until the second baseman walked into the clubhouse and saw the locker right next to his was empty.

"It's definitely a certain feeling of lonesomeness not having him here," Iguchi said through a translator.

Iguchi said that having Takatsu as a teammate made his transition to the United States easier. Though the move comes as a big surprise, Iguchi said that it would not affect his feelings toward the White Sox.

"It's all for the benefit of the team," Iguchi said. "But I would have liked to have won a championship here together."

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
Good luck to Shingo, Im hoping he stays with the sox. Thanks Shingo for all the great games you pitched. That Gong gave us goose bumps knowing something great will happen esp. seeing oppo hitters whipping on your nasty frisbee.

he will. If he goes to Charlotte he will back for September.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
I'm sorry but the Sox should pray that Shingo clears waivers.  This was such a f***ing stupid move.  WTF!  HE HAD A BAD GAME AGAINST A TEAM THAT OWNS HIM!  He had been improving steadily.  Jenks is not an upgrade over Shingo no matter how much you want to thinks so.

Ok, Ok, we got it.