Gload optioned as well

Mr. Showtime

Sox 3

The White Sox also announced that first baseman Ross Gload was returned from his rehabilitation assignment at Charlotte. Gload was then reinstated from the 15-day disabled list and optioned to the Knights.

Gload, 29, is 2-13 (.154) in seven games with the Sox in 2005. The 6-foot-0, 200-pounder was placed on the disabled list with left shoulder inflammation on April 30.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
The Sox don't need an outfielder.  They need a backup 1B and a LH bat.

Podsednik, Rowand, Dye, Everett, Willie and Ozuna all play OF.

That's not how Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen feel.

Ross Gload would start at 1B maybe once every two weeks to once a month. Like them or not, Timo and/or Willie play more positions, have more speed, and are more usable right now than a one dimensional player who can only play one position, which just happens to be where a guy who is going to play everyday plays at. Gload can't run, can't throw, and only plays 1B. Yeah he would be a nice pinchhitter, but why would you keep a guy on your bench who might get 2-3 ABs a week? He would be the positional equivilent of Shingo.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
That's not how Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen feel.

Ross Gload would start at 1B maybe once every two weeks to once a month.  Like them or not, Timo and/or Willie play more positions, have more speed, and are more usable right now than a one dimensional player who can only play one position, which just happens to be where a guy who is going to play everyday plays at.  Gload can't run, can't throw, and only plays 1B.  Yeah he would be a nice pinchhitter, but why would you keep a guy on your bench who might get 2-3 ABs a week?  He would be the positional equivilent of Shingo.

I'd play Gload waaaaaaay more often then that. I don't know what the anti-Gload vibe from Oz is all about?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
Gload isn't healthy.  He can't play the OF because he still can't throw.

But here's the thing, Timo was 'injured' all last year. We were told at the beginning of the season that Timo was playing with, as Wanstedt would put it, 'a hamstring.' There's an obvious double standard when it comes to the two.

DO NOT LOOK AT THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN.

Has it not become clear that this team is not about "ability", but is about "chemistry". And the definition of chemistry is, Ozzie likes them.

Our chemistry is fine as long as Ozzie likes them, not so fine if he does not.

And I think its laughable every time the thing that holds Gload back is, he cant play OF.

He could not play OF when he was healthy either.

hehe

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
DO NOT LOOK AT THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN.

Has it not become clear that this team is not about "ability", but is about "chemistry". And the definition of chemistry is, Ozzie likes them.

Our chemistry is fine as long as Ozzie likes them, not so fine if he does not.

And I think its laughable every time the thing that holds Gload back is, he cant play OF.

hehe

SB

Nearly everyone wrote off everett as a viable option in the outfield this year. Other than running into the wall early on in the year ( awful play on his part) he has done pretty well considering. I truly believe if gload didn't make that error against the cubs alot more people would be for him playing the outfield.

Well considering I was one of the biggest Gload supporters this off-season, I still have to stand by my, he never really was an OF.

Could he play there?

Sure, you could put him out there like Everett, hope that they do not hit it to him that many times, and figure that the boost in offensive production will limit the liability on defense.

But regardless, I do not see many teams putting fielders like Gload in the OF. He is a great defensive 1b, he just is a below average OF.

(EDIT)

And I think Gload should be up and Timo should be gone. But then again I have been one of the biggest Timo haters since he was traded here.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)

hehe

SB

Yup.

Screw the fact that we have six other guys who can play OF if Gload was brought up (Pods-Rowand-Dye-Everett-Ozuna-Harris/Perez).

Screw his .321/.375/.479 line last season in 234 AB's.

Screw Harris' line of .215/.295/.215, and Timo's slightly better line. Hell or high water, we need them on our team! Ross Gload can't play OF, so f*** him!

If Timo is such an important part of the Latin presence in the clubhouse, than let him be a bench coach. But this is becoming a joke. I guess I should prepare for the, "We're 30 games up without him" line...

I didn't see that particular error vs. the Cubs, but I have seen Gload play the outfield. He seems to play a somewhat acceptable left field, yet for some reason he cannot seem to read the ball coming off the bat in right. He really really sucks in RF.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
Konerko vs LH: .189A/.326O/.378S  - any questions?  Gload would have played vs LHers & Kong vs RHers.  This was a no-brainer but Ozzie has his favorites (Timo).

Maybe K Williams has a LH bat that can play 1B enroute to Chicago.

I'll bet you that we'll see Dye at 1b in one of these games against the Tigers.