KW on the score

daa84

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
I wonder if JR & KW will start learning for this year's and last year's trading deadlines.  Instead of trading loads of talent for good SPs midseason, maybe they'll sign one prior to the season next season...

Then they BS'd everyone when they said the payroll this year was to give them the "flexibility" to go for it in June/July like they said at Soxfest.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
Then they BS'd everyone when they said the payroll this year was to give them the "flexibility" to go for it in June/July like they said at Soxfest.

Flexibility doesn't imply making an unnecessary trade.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
Flexibility doesn't imply making an unnecessary trade.

Unnecessary to win the divison maybe, to put us over the top maybe not.

AJ Burnett and Lowell isnt a smart trade. Let some other fool over pay for that. AJ doesnt put us over the top or provide something necessary. I am not sold on Schmidt.

What are our worries. Crede's health? Maybe pick up Randa as a backup for Crede. Or a utility guy who can provide a good stick and play good defense at 3rd if Crede has to go down. Insurance is key. If we didnt learn anything from last year.

Bullpen, you need a stocked pen for the playoffs. Your starters are going on shorter rests and have a pitch count that they cant go over or they effect the next start. The bullpen is key. Adding a Wagner puts you over the top here.

I am not for trades for trades sake, but if something can put us over or provide a need go for it.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
this is why I'd prefer not to say. If you want to email me...

No need to give names. People should just learn how to take words. If they don't want to believe you, then they don't believe you. No need to give them every detail. Next thing you know they're going to ask where you work.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
Unnecessary to win the divison maybe, to put us over the top maybe not.

AJ Burnett and Lowell isnt a smart trade.  Let some other fool over pay for that.  AJ doesnt put us over the top or provide something necessary.  I am not sold on Schmidt.

What are our worries.  Crede's health?  Maybe pick up Randa as a backup for Crede.  Or a utility guy who can provide a good stick and play good defense at 3rd if Crede has to go down.  Insurance is key.  If we didnt learn anything from last year.   

Bullpen, you need a stocked pen for the playoffs. Your starters are going on shorter rests and have a pitch count that they cant go over or they effect the next start.  The bullpen is key.  Adding a Wagner puts you over the top here. 

I am not for trades for trades sake, but if something can put us over or provide a need go for it.

I agree. Burnett = Contreras. He's not really an upgrade and lots of FLA fans are happy knowing that they'll be getting rid of him. Wagner to me makes a lot of sense.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)

Considering the market, there are plenty of players available for teams that could help them win a division or a wild card. Burnett is probably that player for the O's.

The only player that really would put us over the top that is remotely close to obtainable is probably Roger Clemens. Even then, he most likely won't be traded as the Astros make a run at the NL Wild Card. When you look at the rosters of selling teams, probably the best guy out there is Wagner who isn't a significant upgrade (mostly since closer isn't a need position and we have several very good bullpen options), at least to the point where the World Series is a sure thing. A utility player most likely isn't going to make the difference between making the playoffs and wining the World Series, although you're right in that Randa helps the Sox by spelling Crede. Other than that, no available player is going to put us over the top. The difference making players are on contenders or are otherwise untradeable.

When I commented that flexibility doesn't imply an unnecessary trade, I basically agree with you in your idea of what is a necessary and unnecessary trade. I was making the comment because some feel that AJ Burnett or a similar major player is a necessary trade and that not trading for him shows that JR isn't truly committed financially to this team. That's not true. It's just a reality that the difference makers in MLB aren't going to get traded during the season.

Guys and gals, attendance is up, the money IS there. But no one is on the market worth trading for. This is the first year in I don't remember how long that there are basically few teams out of it... and therefore, teams are sitting on what they have.

Guess what? That means EVERYONE is in the same boat. There will be a couple of deals, but this year, I don't think there are going to be any blockbusters - which means - I like the Sox chances because no one else improves all that much either. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

If we have money, let's spend it in the offseason and make this team a powerhouse for a decade instead of making useless trades right now

I am in the camp now (before I wanted to make upgrades but seeing the market has me disappointed) that if we can get a stud 3B then get him....otherwise there is no need to be foolish. The other trade I would definitely consider is getting a Thome (giving up Paulie in return) .... Thome at the cell would be huge....he would be just awesome here (and I think his health issues are not that big of a deal)

Let's sink or swim with this team otherwise

Put away the tin foil hats fellows.

Kenny Williams said he isn't doing anything, because there is nothing out there worth doing. Of course he isn't going to say that there is a big deal working, but he also wouldn't flat out deny it if it were actually happening. And everyone wants to point to the AJ thing, but at the time, we were going to get AJ. It took major campaigning by Hawk to open that door, and then it still took a while for Kenny to investigate AJ to his satisifaction before he would act on it. The deals that are on the table now are stupid.

If there was a deal that would improve this team, KW would do it, and money isn't an object right now. But even with saying that, just because you have money in your pocket doesn't mean you go out and spend it stupidly. These guys also don't want this to be a one year thing, and trading away guys like McCarthy, Marte and Anderson for a middle of the road pitcher, that is not doing the future teams justice. There is a balance there.

Our best hope is one of these teams that is holding onto desparation right now, finds a horrific two week slump and decides to meltdown at the last minute and we slip in the backdoor to pick up some guys (ala the white flag trade of 97 in reverse). Other than that this is the worst deadline trade market I have ever seen. I have never seen the teams looking to add players having to pay so much. In a wierd way it was a great year to have a bad first half, because veteran players are trading as such a premium right now.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:45 AM)
Put away the tin foil hats fellows. 

Kenny Williams said he isn't doing anything, because there is nothing out there worth doing.  Of course he isn't going to say that there is a big deal working, but he also wouldn't flat out deny it if it were actually happening.  And everyone wants to point to the AJ thing, but at the time, we were going to get AJ.  It took major campaigning by Hawk to open that door, and then it still took a while for Kenny to investigate AJ to his satisifaction before he would act on it.  The deals that are on the table now are stupid.

If there was a deal that would improve this team, KW would do it, and money isn't an object right now.  But even with saying that, just because you have money in your pocket doesn't mean you go out and spend it stupidly.  These guys also don't want this to be a one year thing, and trading away guys like McCarthy, Marte and Anderson for a middle of the road pitcher, that is not doing the future teams justice.  There is a balance there.

Our best hope is one of these teams that is holding onto desparation right now, finds a horrific two week slump and decides to meltdown at the last minute and we slip in the backdoor to pick up some guys (ala the white flag trade of 97 in reverse).  Other than that this is the worst deadline trade market I have ever seen.  I have never seen the teams looking to add players having to pay so much.  In a wierd way it was a great year to have a bad first half, because veteran players are trading as such a premium right now.

It does seem like prices for players that can help is high. We'll have to wait until the deadline to see how the market actually shakes out. I think part of the problem is other teams aren't enamoured with the White Sox prospects. We'll see. Guys will get traded. It will be interesting to see what the sellers actually get.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
I think KW means what he's saying, but I hope you guys are right and that he's blowing smoke.  If he's serious and we make no moves, then I'm concerned. I see 2 or 3 teams that might give us problems in the post season.  We'll learn a lot more about this Sox team in August.

We'll learn a lot about this Sox team this weekend.

I've seen a couple of reports that the Red Sox and Twins are working on a Mueller for Romero deal. Yet, KW says that AL teams are not willing to help the White Sox. Seems to me, the we might have the respect of the competition in the AL, if not the Eastcoast Sports Programming Network.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
No need to give names. People should just learn how to take words. If they don't want to believe you, then they don't believe you. No need to give them every detail. Next thing you know they're going to ask where you work.

Agreed.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
I've seen a couple of reports that the Red Sox and Twins are working on a Mueller for Romero deal.  Yet, KW says that AL teams are not willing to help the White Sox.  Seems to me, the we might have the respect of the competition in the AL, if not the Eastcoast Sports Programming Network.

I think it is more of a matter of how teams match up. The Twins always have a surplus in the pen, while the Red Sox have Kevin Youklis who is the next "thing" at 3B. I am sure if we were offering an equivilant pen pitcher (Marte or Cotts for example) that Boston would be talking to us too.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
I think it is more of a matter of how teams match up.  The Twins always have a surplus in the pen, while the Red Sox have Kevin Youklis who is the next "thing" at 3B.  I am sure if we were offering an equivilant pen pitcher (Marte or Cotts for example) that Boston would be talking to us too.

No Dammit! They respect us! :bang

KW not making a move?? He's flying under the radar. I think I know why he's not making a trade.

Roberto Alomar isn't playing for a team in the majors, therefore we don't need to trade for him.

Though KW keeps trying to get Carl Everett back as well, it just the GM refuses to call KW back..He can't figure out why that is.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
Though KW keeps trying to get Carl Everett back as well, it just the GM refuses to call KW back..He can't figure out why that is.

Can't figure out whats worse: your lame attempt of a joke, or your total lack of original material.