Indians trade Gerut...

WSoxMatt

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good move by the Cubs. Gerut doesnt have a place with the indians with Grady S emergence. Was Gerut a sox fan or his dad was?

CURSE YOU TRIBUNE! STOP GIVING UP ON YOUNG PLAYERS! PALMERIO, MADDUX, GARLAND, WILLIS AND NOW DUBOIS! ENOUGH IS ENOGUH. GERUT WILL END UP BEING A RENTAL BUST, LIKE KARCHNER WAS, AND DUBUIS WILL HAVE A GREAT MLB CAREER. CURSE YOU FOR ALL ETERNITY! SPEND THE MONEY, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Edited by fry the twinkies

The Chicago Cubs today acquired outfielder Jody Gerut (GARR-ett) from the Cleveland Indians in exchange for outfielder Jason Dubois.

Gerut, 27, has seen Major League action in each of the past three seasons with the Indians, batting .267 in 305 career big league games with 34 homers and 138 RBI.

The left-handed batter has appeared in 44 games for the Indians this season, batting .275 (38-138) with 11 extra-base hits and 12 RBI. He has batted .313 (36-113) against right-handed pitchers.

The Elmhurst, Illinois, native had his best Major League season in 2003, leading the Indians in home runs (22) and RBI (75). He was selected by Major League managers, executives and scouts as The Sporting News' Rookie of the Year among position players after batting .279 (134-480). He finished fourth in BBWAA Rookie of the Year balloting for the American League.

Defensively, Gerut has seen action in 202 games (190 starts) in right field, 55 games (51 starts) in left field and 26 games (23 starts) in center field. He has committed just eight errors in 2,410.1 career innings.

Dubois, who made his Major League debut with the Cubs in 2004, has batted .236 with 8 homers and 27 RBI in 72 Major League games.

The outfielder appeared in 52 games for the Cubs this year and batted .239 with 22 RBI before being optioned to Iowa (AAA) on July 7.

The Indians just got robbed.

Dubois is made to be a DH, but Hafner has that spot locked up for the next 10 years.

Good Move for the Cubs.

Dubois can also play outfield. And here is Hafner's contract status:

Travis "Pronk" Hafner: deal for 2005 season worth $377,400 (or $253,100 if in the Minors) was renewed on 3/3/05- + later signed 3-year deal worth 7M thru 2007 on 4/13/05 that supersedes deal for 2005 season- + he will make 500K in 2005, 2.5M in 2006 and 3.75M in 2007- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2008 worth 4.75M or a 250K buyout- + the deal includes escalators: 2006 salary could rise by 250K if he plays 135 games in the field in 2005; 2007 salary could rise by 300K if he plays in 135 games in the field in 2006- + the value of the option could rise by 350K if he reaches 675PA in 2007- + salary could also rise based on awards received- + if he earns all those performance and award incentives, his base salary could rise to 3.25M in 2006, 4.8M in 2007 and the option value could rise up to 6.1M Agent: Brian Peters, Scott Parker Service Time: 2.009

Source: http://www.mlb4u.com/cle.html

Edited by fry the twinkies

QUOTE(fry the twinkies @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
I assume Crash was a great fielder right when he came up, or Edmonds or Andruw Jones for that matter?

When they came up they were good fielders Dubois is one of the worst I have ever seen.

This is a solid move by the Cubs, but I figure they'll have to do more. They've won 7 of their last 8 and are still like 5 games out of the wildcard. They're not going to play Pitt and Cin the rest of the year, they still have a lot of games vs. Cards and Houston, and this lineup can still be shutdown against good pitching

This is a solid move by the Cubs, but I figure they'll have to do more.  They've won 7 of their last 8 and are still like 5 games out of the wildcard.  They're not going to play Pitt and Cin the rest of the year, they still have a lot of games vs. Cards and Houston, and this lineup can still be shutdown against good pitching

There was no point to this move. If they had traded Hollandsworth, I can understand. And what the hell will the Cubs do now? Murton has been en fuego since coming up. WHY WON'T DUSTY PLAY THE KIDS!!!!!!???

MEMO TO DUSTY BAKER: PLAY THE KIDS!!!!!

QUOTE(fry the twinkies @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
I assume Crash was a great fielder right when he came up, or Edmonds or Andruw Jones for that matter?

Andruw Jones won a GG in his first full year in the big leagues.

Jim Edmonds won a GG in his 3rd full year in the big leagues.

So yes, they were great fielders when they first came into the league.

Dubois is absolutley brutal I doubt you'll find anyone who would call him a future GG winner or even an average LF defensively.

QUOTE(fry the twinkies @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
There was no point to this move. If they had traded Hollandsworth, I can understand. And what the hell will the Cubs do now? Murton has been en fuego since coming up. WHY WON'T DUSTY PLAY THE KIDS!!!!!!???

who are you?

QUOTE(fry the twinkies @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)

something tells me your a cubs fan