El Duque

Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
Every breaking ball he threw except for his drop down sliders, seemed to hang in the inner portion of the plate.  Watching the game, I was surprised we weren't down 8 when he left the game.

The big thing for me was his velocity. He was getting it up there in the high 80s at times. Very nice. However this is someone you use as a long reliever in the playoffs, and not to start a game.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
Every breaking ball he threw except for his drop down sliders, seemed to hang in the inner portion of the plate.  Watching the game, I was surprised we weren't down 8 when he left the game.

Wow. Not good at all. Hopefully, he was just a little rusty.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
I didn't catch any of the game until about the 6th inning.  Did he look good?  He get hit hard?  How was his control?  Did he have to throw a lot of pitches?  Any feedback would be apperciated.

To be honest he looked pretty good. His fastball was the best he's had since he's been a member of the sox. His breaking balls ended over the plate a lot but they were biting. Best thing tonight though for the most part he was ahead of hitters early on if he does that he should be fine. He pitched 4 innings in his rehab start and then had a shaky 5th inning in this outing so he still needs to regain some stamina, overall he was solid tonight I thought.

Just got back. El Duque was better than he was when he went on the DL, he actually fooled a couple of guys, but he is not at a point where he can be relied on. They hit some ropes off him, including an Inge bomb the very first pitch of the game. All in all, I would say he was average tonight. Maybe he can improve, but if he went down to a tired shoulder in June, I don't see how anyone can count on him for September and October.

It looked to me like he just got tired in the 5th, and the pitches weren't breaking anymore. He was really sharp between the Inge homer to the start the game and that inning. I'm not worried, he's just getting back into game shape.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
Just got back. El Duque was better than he was when he went on the DL, he actually fooled a couple of guys, but he is not at a point where he can be relied on. They hit some ropes off him, including an Inge bomb the very first pitch of the game. All in all, I would say he was average tonight. Maybe he can improve, but if he went down to a tired shoulder in June, I don't see how anyone can count on him for September and October.

That ball Inge hit was actually off the end of the bat and just kept going.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
That ball Inge hit was actually off the end of the bat and just kept going.

If he hits them that hard off the end of the bat, he's going to be a 50 home run guy some day. Is that what the replay showed? I was sitting a couple rows from the Tiger on deck circle and as soon as he hit it everyone around me knew it was gone.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
If he hits them that hard off the end of the bat, he's going to be a 50 home run guy some day. Is that what the replay showed? I was sitting a couple rows from the Tiger on deck circle and as soon as he hit it everyone around me knew it was gone.

Ahh, yeah he actually didn't hit it flush, it wasn't a great pitch by the Duke cause it was up and over the plate but he didn't get the sweet spot of the bat on it.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
Did exactly what we need from the 5 starter.

The Duke did a fine job. Geez, do you guys remember how many runs our last year 5th starter(s) allowed a game?

I'm very excited for this current team as well as next year. Our pitching will be fine for at least this year and next. And that would mean that we are in the pennant race for two years straight. Should Kenny pull a couple of right trades to get us another good starting pitcher and SS, we can move El Duque to bullpen, and we will have backup for shortstop as well. Dream: Burnett and Vizquel...

Here is to this current team and our great future. :cheers

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
He went to full counts entirely too often for a guy who wears down easily.  Seemed like he did a nice job for the most part getting ahead of the hitters but then would refuse to throw them a strike.  I just don't have any faith in him, 5th starter or not.

Not having faith in a 5th starter is the concern of fans of any ML team.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
Not having faith in a 5th starter is the concern of fans of any ML team.

Let's just say the good thing is, we should have more faith in our 5th starter than this point 1 year ago. If El Duque gives up 4 runs and goes 6 innings each time, it gives us a chance to win, albeit a less of one that if say Buerhle, Garcia or Garland was on the mound.