bobby valentine on replace koch tonight

baggio202

on baseball tonight...he said you have to show faith in your closer but when you get to a point where the sox are with billy koch you have to have insurance behind him and thats where the sox are with koch..billy didnt have it tonight and manuel brought in marte and it worked out for him and it was the right move...

so bobby v would have made the same move himself i guess :huh:

on baseball tonight...he said you have to show faith in your closer but when you get to a point where the sox are with billy koch you have to have insurance behind him and thats where the sox are with koch..billy didnt have it tonight and manuel brought in marte and it worked out for him and it was the right move...

so bobby v would have made the same move himself i guess :huh:

I would have made the same move..... especially with a guy coming to the plate that had hit 2 HR's in 2 nights. And in response to Bobby V's analysis..... "Billy didn't have it tonight"..... or something to that effect..... has Billy had it at all with the game on the line in 2003..... exception being Detroit? :huh: I think not.

Manuel really didn't show any balls, he just showed common sense because he knows if the Sox keep losing, he will be done.

It really wasn't a tough move IMO, it had to be done.

How do you explain Koch pitchin to Durazo then

i explain that as manuel trying to show as much faith in koch as he could have...because a durazo homer ties the game up and doesnt lose it...he tried to give billy koch every chance to close that game out..he couldnt do it so jerry went with marte..

maybe if we were t he yankees we could live with koch until he got his s*** together...we arnt the yankees

Manuel really didn't show any balls, he just showed common sense because he knows if the Sox keep losing, he will be done.

Manuel showed lots of balls, he pulled his 6 million dollar closer in a save situation. If he doesn't and Botch gets rocked again, you all call him an idiot and he does the right thing and nobody gives him credit. hmmmmm.

i explain that as manuel trying to show as much faith in koch as he could have...because a durazo homer ties the game up and doesnt lose it...he tried to give billy koch every chance to close that game out..he couldnt do it so jerry went with marte..

maybe if we were t he yankees we could live with koch until he got his s*** together...we arnt the yankees

I know that...but he said it was obvious because it was lefty lefty, not because Koch was struggling. If he believes Marte was only brought in because of lefty lefty, then he would have pitched to Durazo also.

Flash is going to have a big role on this team.  This was  a big time performance, if I read the summary correctly.

Gordon came up huge tonight..... no doubt. 4 K's, a few IF pop-ups, 2 2/3 innings..... he had the A's hitters looking fastball and he'd go with his offspeed and vice versa. Gordon used all of his pitches effectively and, THIS IS HUGE FOR A GUY LIKE GORDON, was throwing first-pitch strikes.

Gordon came up huge tonight..... no doubt. 4 K's, a few IF pop-ups, 2 2/3 innings..... he had the A's hitters looking fastball and he'd go with his offspeed and vice versa. Gordon used all of his pitches effectively and, THIS IS HUGE FOR A GUY LIKE GORDON, was throwing first-pitch strikes.

i agree..gordon is a blast to watch pitch when he is on...guys have no chance against him

Manuel showed lots of balls, he pulled his 6 million dollar closer in a save situation. If he doesn't and Botch gets rocked again, you all call him an idiot and he does the right thing and nobody gives him credit. hmmmmm.

He also showed balls because if Marte comes in and screws it up and we lose, then everybody and their brother (media especially) screams "Why didn't you go with your $6 million closer?"

He also showed balls because if Marte comes in and screws it up and we lose, then everybody and their brother (media especially) screams "Why didn't you go with your $6 million closer?"

Absolutely I was just pionting out the natural order of hypocracy on the boards sometimes.

Absolutely I was just pionting out the natural order of hypocracy on the boards sometimes.

i really think manuel wants marte as his closer and has all along...just wondering how this goes over with KW :huh:

I dunno, I think JM would of been happy as a lark to get Koch. A manager is always happy when you have a ton of arms in a bullpen. Thats a managers and teams best friend.

A good, deep bullpen can make a manager look really good.

I dunno, I think JM would of been happy as a lark to get Koch.  A manager is always happy when you have a ton of arms in a bullpen.  Thats a managers and teams best friend.

A good, deep bullpen can make a manager look really good.

For sure, it increases the likelihood that every move you make is the right one. If everyone is clicking, it's tough to make a wrong move.

Tom Gordon has just got his s*** together. If Koch is not injured, I expect him to pull it together soon too. Rick White could follow. Bullpens seem to work this way alot. Once one guy is stable, the other guys start to pitch with more confidence because they know there are some rocks in the bullpen that can help them out if they get the team in a jam. Damaso is getting back to midseason form and Wunsch and Glover have been excpetional. With Gordon back on track, there is also more time for Cooper and Kuysner (sp?) to work with our struggling guys. I have to say Flash really made a sudden turn after that homerun to Matthews in Baltimore. I think he was ready that night and something snapped after he blew that one.

Gordon looked awesome last night. His curve had movement on it that I haven't seen for years, which made his mid 90's fastball unhittable up in the zone. I am glad to see him stepping up the way that he has. He could be huge with Koch floundering.

I have already had my Harris getting called up prediction work out for me. I think Koch to the DL could be happening real soon, and we could see Flash do some closing if he keeps it up.