OLIVO is good

greg775

Question for Baggs, Heather, Cubkilla, Soxchick, Donkey, chisoxfan, et. all,

Do you think it's time Olivo plays every day?

I say yes.

Why would we ever want to catch Sandy?

Olivo is as ready as Crede is to be a productive hitter.

He had two hits tonight, including a homer.

Sandy gives us no pop.

Olivo at least has a chance if we play him every day.

Comments?

I just see no frickin reason to play Sandy Alomar. None.

Thy both have something to offer and as Olivo gains play time Alomar will lose it, but let it happen naturally - no need to disparge one over the other.

And Sandy has had some good hits for us.

Olivo is the future. Aloma is the mentor. No need to disrespect either one.

Guest hotsoxchick1

ok who said in the begining that olivo was hot????? who said i cant wait till this kid gets up here your all going to love him????? who said wait till you see his rocket arm???? cat like reflexes???? his bat is warming up now too.........i told you guys you would love him........why shouldnt he play everyday.... alomar will catch for colon and buehrle because thats how they like it.. but loz and olivo have made a special bond and it seems to be working for them so let it flow............i hate to be one to say this but....... I TOLD YOU GUYS SO....ABOUT OLIVO..........lol lol lol......... :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :cheers

As stands right now, Olivo usually catches 3 (Loaiza, Stewart, and Garland) of our starters anyway. Alomar has been huge in teaching Miguel how to call a game from behind the plate through one month of the season..... that's according to Farmio and Rooney during tonight's "White Sox Winner." MB and BC have stated that they prefer having Alomar calling their game for them, so I don't see the battery tandems changing anytime soon. For Alomar and Olivo, this is a win-win situation. Olivo gets the majority of playing time..... and will only get better with experience. He has an unparalleled arm for a youngster behind the plate and unnatural speed for a catcher. Alomar catches MB and BC and, in doing so, gets to rest those troublesome knees while teaching the future Sox backstop what he knows to become one of the elite C's in the game.

In reference to Alomar's pop however greg775, I do think Manuel should pinch-hit more often for Alomar late in the game with the White Sox either up big or down by a run or two. JM not PH'ing at the proper times is yet ANOTHER fault I constantly see with him.

no, he isn't ready.

he has shown signs, but as long as Alomar is here and healthy, he'll only get half the time.

Buehrle and Colon, even though they haven't been as good as they should, are going to have Alomar as their catcher.

let Olivo and Alomar split the time and pending our position at the end of the year, is how much Olivo plays. If the Sox are good, they will stick to what got them there. If they are bad, Olivo all the way and into next year.

if he took over catching buehrle or colon and caught 4 of 5 days out i dont see that being a problem...its obvious he is the future..he is here...if he can do it better than alomar right now the get him the PT...sandy knows the deal...he was the benificiary of the same kind of tutoring from tony pena in cleveland..now its sandy's turn to give back and then move over for the new talent...someday olivo will do the same

ok who said in the begining that olivo was hot????? who said i cant wait till this kid gets up here your all going to love him????? who said wait till you see his rocket arm???? cat like reflexes???? his bat is warming up now too.........i told you guys you would love him........why shouldnt he play everyday.... alomar will catch for colon and buehrle because thats how they like it.. but loz and olivo have made a special bond and it seems to be working for them so let it flow............i hate to be one to say this but....... I TOLD YOU GUYS SO....ABOUT OLIVO..........lol lol lol......... :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :cheers

The people who bashed this s*** out of Olivo during spring training have quieted down quite a bit, we shouldn't need our catcher to hit on this team, but that is a big bonus if he can continue to do so.

The people who bashed this s*** out of Olivo during spring training have quieted down quite a bit, we shouldn't need our catcher to hit on this team, but that is a big bonus if he can continue to do so.

With our currect lack of hitting, we anybody and everybody to hit.

I think Olivo needs to get more playing time, 3 of the 5 starters... and he will be learning from this and after all will be all starters. I'm liking his roll right now... we need alomar because this is a playoff season and a rookie as our 1st catcher :huh:

There is nothing wrong with our catching position, currently.  The way things stand right now, seems to be working.  I say let this evolve and take it's natural course.

I agree totally with this statement. The platoon is working perfectly. You can see the growth in Olivo's game in almost every aspect of it. This arrangement should also keep Alomar healthy longer.

That being said I love Miguels swing and I agree with Hawk when he says he will be a star in this league in the next few years. Maybe KW took advantage of Billy Beane for once on this deal.

Thy both have something to offer and as Olivo gains play time Alomar will lose it, but let it happen naturally - no need to disparge one over the other.

And Sandy has had some good hits for us.

Olivo is the future.  Aloma is the mentor.  No need to disrespect either one.

That's about as well as anyone can put it.

Alomar doesn't get enough credit for what he brings to the team and his game-calling behind the plate. I'm really glad that we brought Sandy back to teach Olivo and other youngsters. And really, Sandys been a consistent hitter too.

Olivo should be eased into becoming our main guy. As everyone knows, this kids got a cannon arm and is probably the fastest catcher in the league.

Guest hotsoxchick1

yep mat i know, i took alot of s*** over spring and before about olivo.... i stuck by him and will continute to do so till his parting day.........i liked what this kid had from the get go.... and ill talke those "im sorrys" now from the peanut gallery.......line up everyone .... dont crowd me, everyone will get a chance .... i want to hear them with feeling in your voices.......lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol.................. :D :headbang

I'll give you all the benefit of the doubt and agree I guess Sandy should play some.

I just hope we can start hitting the ball.

I like the games where I see our catcher getting 2 hits.

Nobody in the offseason thought our lineup would suck this badly.

I'll give you all the benefit of the doubt and agree I guess Sandy should play some.

I just hope we can start hitting the ball.

I like the games where I see our catcher getting 2 hits.

Nobody in the offseason thought our lineup would suck this badly.

Nobody thought our lineup would suck as badly as it did in June and July last year either. If we averaged 6 runs a game during that stretch....it was because we'd put up a 12 spot once every six games. I remember the Expos series last year....we got beat like 3-2 the first game...2-1 the second game....and won like 12-3 the last game.

I think it will get going....but then again, we had a ton of speed last year too....or atleast more than we do this year. When your fastest starter(excluding Willie Harris who shouldn't be starting if he is, IMO) is your catcher...you got problems, even if you catcher is one of the fastest catchers in the game.