We Need Billy Wagner

Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
Cheaper solution might be Matt Wise from the Brewers.

Wow, a very interesting and creative solution. He is a solid pitcher, and has a nice K/BB ratio. He is a righty, which we already have covered, but it could be a possibility.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
Wow, a very interesting and creative solution.  He is a solid pitcher, and has a nice K/BB ratio.  He is a righty, which we already have covered, but it could be a possibility.

Yeah Matt Wise has been really solid all year not to sure why the Brewers want to get rid of him

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
It looks like the Red Sox have backed off Wagner according to ESPN, and have picked up interest in Shingo.  Could we maybe package Shingo, and Top level prospects for Arroyo and then turn him around into Wagner?

Very f***ing doubtful. They may want Shingo, but Arroyo? He's a solid pitcher and they are in a 3 team battle that might only have one team survive to see the post season.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Very f***ing doubtful. They may want Shingo, but Arroyo?  He's a solid pitcher and they are in a 3 team battle that might only have one team survive to see the post season.

Agreed. Arroyo is too much. Maybe Mueller, if we're lucky.

To whoever said you need a great pen to win the WS... did you see who won the WS last year?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Very f***ing doubtful. They may want Shingo, but Arroyo?  He's a solid pitcher and they are in a 3 team battle that might only have one team survive to see the post season.

harold reynolds put this whole chemistry issue best...

Larry,New York,NY: Do you think Kenny Williams will play with the chemstry of the White Sox?

Harold Reynolds: (11:33 AM ET ) It depends on the player. If he has a chance to get Billy Wagner, should he be worried about chemistry!?

btw just before that....there was this very amusing exchange, the second question, dan (chicago) is me.

Newt (Jacksonville): Any truth to the rumor that Tom Emanski has put a contract out on you for trying to steal his turf? ESPN may only be big enough for one how-to guru. And while you had an impressive MLB career, let's face it, you've never coached back-to-back-to-back AAU national champions . . .

Harold Reynolds: (11:30 AM ET ) Ha! Yeah, because I was PLAYING instead of coaching! Would you rather learn from the player or coach! Put it this way.. check out my series and see if you want to learn from Ozzie Smith in HD or Tom Emanski's still pictures in 1980?

Dan (Chicago): But tom Emanski has fred Mcgriff in that blue hat!

Harold Reynolds: (11:32 AM ET ) No, I don't. That is true.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
Agreed.  Arroyo is too much.  Maybe Mueller, if we're lucky.

To whoever said you need a great pen to win the WS... did you see who won the WS last year?

Red Sox had a good pen last year. Foulke and Embree were good, Myers, Timlin, and they had Arroyo in there, too.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
Red Sox had a good pen last year.  Foulke and Embree were good, Myers, Timlin, and they had Arroyo in there, too.

Not sure you could say that pen stacks up as nice as ours does now.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
harold reynolds put this whole chemistry issue best...

Larry,New York,NY: Do you think Kenny Williams will play with the chemstry of the White Sox?

Harold Reynolds: (11:33 AM ET ) It depends on the player. If he has a chance to get Billy Wagner, should he be worried about chemistry!?

btw just before that....there was this very amusing exchange, the second question, dan (chicago) is me.

Newt (Jacksonville): Any truth to the rumor that Tom Emanski has put a contract out on you for trying to steal his turf? ESPN may only be big enough for one how-to guru. And while you had an impressive MLB career, let's face it, you've never coached back-to-back-to-back AAU national champions . . .

Harold Reynolds: (11:30 AM ET ) Ha! Yeah, because I was PLAYING instead of coaching! Would you rather learn from the player or coach! Put it this way.. check out my series and see if you want to learn from Ozzie Smith in HD or Tom Emanski's still pictures in 1980?

Dan (Chicago): But tom Emanski has fred Mcgriff in that blue hat!

Harold Reynolds: (11:32 AM ET ) No, I don't. That is true.

That is pretty hilarious. I love those commercials with McGriff and his bad hat and pointing at the camera.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
Not sure you could say that pen stacks up as nice as ours does now.

They almost all had playoff experience, too. Something that most of our guys don't have.

It's a fact that our bullpen with Billy Wagner >>>> our bullpen without Billy Wagner. He may not be the key to the WS, but nobody really is for certain. He would make our pen damn near unhittable, though. We'd pretty much be set for a 5-inning game from our starters.

That is pretty hilarious.  I love those commercials with McGriff and his bad hat and pointing at the camera.

"I'm so impressed with the instructional videos by Coach Emanski. I've given them my full endorsement. When you watch them, you'll know why".

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
wagner's not going anywhere. the phillies still believe they are in it.

"The Phillies told one NL executive that virtually everyone is available, which could lead to a massive bidding war for closer Billy Wagner."

- from USAToday

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
It looks like the Red Sox have backed off Wagner according to ESPN, and have picked up interest in Shingo.  Could we maybe package Shingo, and Top level prospects for Arroyo and then turn him around into Wagner?

The red sox would trade prospects for Shingo, that's all.

I posted a link that listed what Philly may want from trading their guys [not just for wagner but in general]: pitching, 3b and C. The sox have pitching, Josh Fields [3b] and Chris Stewart [C]. With David Bell and Lieberthal around for another yr or two, if they're looking for guys ready after next yr, those two aren't bad [a 1st rd pick and a AA all-star]

If Philly does think they have a chance at the playoffs [which being 5 games out they realistically do] they'd at least want one or two guys who could help them this yr, with Urbina moving to closer. Bobby Jenks would probably be a big key to a deal with them.

With Guardado's bad arm, and Hermanson's sore back, that would be very tempting, even for a two month rental.

Now if The phillies lose 5 in row, their thinking may change

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
"The Phillies told one NL executive that virtually everyone is available, which could lead to a massive bidding war for closer Billy Wagner."

- from USAToday

I live in the Philly market here in NJ, and the news coming out of here is that Wagner is NOT on the market because the Phillies think they have a chance to make the playoff. The reason for this, GM Ed Wade's job is on the line since they haven't made the playoffs with him as GM. I would love to get Wagner since Hermy's back is a little shakey.